Suspension recommendation for Torsion bar cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:39 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension recommendation for Torsion bar cars

Data point for anyone interested:

I am on my second suspension upgrade on my '80 SC. I first did this two winters ago when I went to 22/28 t-bars and 22 mm ARBs F&R. At that time, I installed poly-urethane bushings in the rear (came with the adjustable spring plates) and delrin bushings up front.

I am in the middle of the second upgrade to 23/31 hollow t-bars (from Elephant - look too pretty to install) amd custom-valved shocks/struts (done by Bilstein). I'll get back to the list after the Zone 2 DE at VIR to let you know how this affects lap times.

The main reason I am writing is to suggest strongly that anyone considering these upgrades seriously consider going to a bushing set-up that can be greased without taking the whole thing apart. The "poly-bronze" bushings are probably the most popular, but I am sure there are others, as well as Walt-type DIY-ers who cut a groove and tap in a Zerks fitting. Any of these would be better than having to disassemble the suspension, remove the busings, clean the housings and bushings (probably took me nearly 1/2 hour per bushing to get that sticky grease made for poly-urethane bushings off), re-assemble, re-install, set ride height, then pay for a corner-balance and alignment. It makes the "poly-bronze" setup look well worth the cost. I'll be making that purchase the next time I start to hear the classic poly bushing squeek - hopefully at least two years away.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don, your post is very timely. I started tracking my car in earnest 2 years ago in stock condition. As I got closer and closer to needing to upgrade the suspension I debated on which bushings to go with especially being on a tight budget.

I pulled the trigger and went with the polybronze stuff and the 23/31 torsion bars. I just finished installing it all last week and amazingly the car although much stiffer doesn't jar the fillings out like I might have expected.

Anyway I am glad I went that route. I am taking the car in this week for alignment/corner balance so I can try it on the track in 3 weeks.

Point being I decided I wanted to only address the bushing one time and move on. Reading your post makes me think I made the right choice.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

About time you guys got on the Polybronze pipe... now for the Smart Racing adjustable sways!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

My car squeaks (squills) like a stuffed pig. When they wear out I will definately go with 'Bearings'.

I was driving my new car for the first time 2 weeks ago and started hearing this squeak and did not know what the hell was going on. Ron Zitza from Zolt Racing was at the track so I asked him to take a look/listen, he knew right away what it was and set my mind at easy. I was wondering if I was loosing my wheels or something.

Hope you enjoy your new setup.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Spray some WD40 in there...
Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gary R.
About time you guys got on the Polybronze pipe... now for the Smart Racing adjustable sways!
Hush up you crack dealer. The spousal unit is already ready to go off the deep end.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

If I decide to keep this car long term they will be getting changed soon. I could turn up the radio, ah? the A/C fan? oh right, I don't have any of that stuff. Actually I only hear them in the paddock at low speeds and RPM.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
I pulled the trigger and went with the polybronze stuff and the 23/31 torsion bars. I just finished installing it all last week and amazingly the car although much stiffer doesn't jar the fillings out like I might have expected.
You need your shocks revalved. They are obviously too soft on compression.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You need your shocks revalved. They are obviously too soft on compression.
I plan on it Larry. I just can't afford to do it all at once. I intend on it being the next upgrade before the sways. The wife hasn't recovered from the last upgrade yet.

You guys are killing me here.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other item-Do not use the poly for the inner trailing arm mounts. OE rubber or monoballs should go there.

Poly is too rigid for that mount and will not allow you to set the camber or toe properly. They fall apart pretty easily too.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a sickness!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM
jester911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It's a sickness!
Of which there seems to be no cure. Or at least any motivation to find any.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

and I'm terminal...
Old 03-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on it Larry. I just can't afford to do it all at once. I intend on it being the next upgrade before the sways. The wife hasn't recovered from the last upgrade yet.

Jester, if you were a decent man, you would do it ALL at once, thereby saving your wife from repeated episodes from which she must recover. Think of her for once and get it ALL done!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:03 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

You guys know that poly bronze is really just a gateway drug. It leads to even crazier habits, like multi-link suspension and moton clubsports and...

Go to rehab now!

Quick Reply: Suspension recommendation for Torsion bar cars