Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does Speed TV keep getting worse and worse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:09 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does Speed TV keep getting worse and worse?

So yeah. I suppose if i was more boring I'd be completely enthralled with the plethora of drag racing- and NASCAR-based shows, but seeing as how I actually tend to appreciate more complex forms of racing, Speed is really beginning to **** me off!

It seems as though the only times i can consistently watch something of interest is at 3am.

Speed needs to go a la MTV and come out with a "Speed 2" which is devoted to the "lesser-watched" forms of racing -- i.e. all forms of road racing, motorcycle racing, motorx, etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't agree more
It's "All NASCAR - All the time" with the occasional POS drag racing show as filler
Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

The problem is, when they did show a lot of non Nascar / NHRA racing in prime time.......nobody watched it.

Same reason why MTV2 no longer shows videos either.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:28 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

+1, I can't stand the channel anymore. It's either Nascar, some form of dirt track racing, or drag racing. And when they do show something of interest such as Formula 1, the announcers are so annoying that I almost have to put it on mute.

What happened to Alain de Cadenet and all the cool shows he did?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 AM
951_for_John
Instructor

Default RIP Speedvision

Yep, the old speedvision had LOST DRIVE IN and always old race/ rallye footage... all the good stuff. but, the money is with the numbers and NASCRAP has the numbers ($$$$$$)

I don't remember who said it, but it was here on Rennlist.

"NASCAR is WWF on Wheels"
+1 for me

Some of the good shows like Victoy by Design etc. are shown on some of the
channels on DirecTV.

The Dakar was canceled this year, but for the last two years was reduced to a half hour ad for Redbull.

BTW anybody have a copy of the George C Scott movie "The Last Run" I've been looking for this on DVD and Cannot finr it to add to my collection of classic car movies. showed.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing tonight. Every damn time I check the schedule all I see is "PINKS" I am starting to hate that channel. One out of 20 programs I want to watch.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
which is devoted to the "lesser-watched" forms of racing -- i.e. all forms of road racing, motorcycle racing, motorx, etc.
You answered your own question with that statement.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:08 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

The NASCAR stuff I can handle, it is racing afterall, what I can't stand with a passion is that garbage Unique Whips. Fatty calls his shop Unique Autosports. Please show me just one vehicle he has built that would qualify to be on a grid, in any racing organization, ever. Rocking 22" Dubs on a new Mercedes isn't a sport, neither is a 5" TV monitor in the back of a headrest. It amazes me that rich people think Will Castro's style sense is better than people designing the cars to begin with.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:14 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if you think they are doing this for the enthusiast & not the almighty dollar, think again. Bottom line, in this country, NASCAR keeps the lights on
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, if you think they are doing this for the enthusiast & not the almighty dollar, think again. Bottom line, in this country, NASCAR keeps the lights on. I'm sure they have seen revenues increase proportionally as they increase that type of programing
Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaCay
The NASCAR stuff I can handle, it is racing afterall, what I can't stand with a passion is that garbage Unique Whips. Fatty calls his shop Unique Autosports. Please show me just one vehicle he has built that would qualify to be on a grid, in any racing organization, ever. Rocking 22" Dubs on a new Mercedes isn't a sport, neither is a 5" TV monitor in the back of a headrest. It amazes me that rich people think Will Castro's style sense is better than people designing the cars to begin with.
Definitely agree with you there. I watched that show once and all it did was convince me never to let those fools touch any car I own. I know they have to make the show "interesting" and edit it a certain way, but they seem to take a little too much pride in being clueless and disorganized. They didn't plan ahead or they have problems with their own employees so the owner gets on the phone and yells at his suppliers about what he's gotta have today and for free. What tools.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just never watch speed anymore. It used to be the first channel to check to see what is on. Now I never seem to check. I still have F1 set to record on the DVR, but that is about it.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I just never watch speed anymore. It used to be the first channel to check to see what is on. Now I never seem to check. I still have F1 set to record on the DVR, but that is about it.
+1
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I remember the old Speedvision - Isle of Man, Victory by Design etc.

Now it is truly brutal. Nothing is quite so depressing as, having one night in many when you actually have a bit of time to watch TV, you look at that guide for Speedvision and see: "Pinks, Pinks, Pinks, Pinks" followed by "Unique Whips, Unique Whips, Unique Whips..." ALL - NIGHT - LONG
Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Thank God for TiVo!!

Quick Reply: Why does Speed TV keep getting worse and worse?