Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does Speed TV keep getting worse and worse?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Blackness
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mainly watch it for the ALMS, Grand-Am, and F1 broadcasts. The new "Supercar" show isn't too bad. I'm pissed at the moment because I don't have the HD version and they are going to be broadcasting ALMS in HD this year.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Question. I have Directv. Can Directv monitor the shows I watch or Tivo? If they do, do they report that to the networks? I too basically watch F1 and really nothing else on Speed. But if I happen to leave the receiver on all night and the last channel I watched was Speed, it would look like I was watching Speed for 16 hours straight. More likely it would be on Skinemax all night but that's another topic altogether.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:12 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So since I'm poor, I've got plain, basic cable. Is there a channel out there on either the Satellite or DigiCable realm that caters to the likes of us? i.e. no Unique Whips, ChopCutRebuild, that new drag racing game show, pinks, pinks, pinks, and pinks, Nascar, etc.........

I set the dvd player to record F1, ALMS, etc but it sure gets annoying. Sometimes, after a hard day, I'd just like to turn on the TV and start watching some awesome show. But instead, I've got to hope that there's some previously-recorded show lying around somewhere, itching to be watched.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are completely ignoring their new show "Living the Low Life"...

Heaven help us... Just when you think it can't get any lower, they come out with "Living the Low Life", which pretty much describes the way alot of people feel when they turn on SPEED most of the time...
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

wait...nobody looks forward to the Monster truck coverage that's on every day???

I go through once a week and Tivo anything that's worth watching in the next week as the good stuff is always on at really odd hours.

If you look hard enough there's still decent content. I really enjoy'd re-watchign the entier 2007 WSB season and the 2007 V8 supercar series as well over the winter.

Andy
Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
.....And when they do show something of interest such as Formula 1, the announcers are so annoying that I almost have to put it on mute.
Are you kidding?

If you think the Speedvision F1 on air personalities (Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett and Windsor) are "annoying", I'm just curious, how did you survive the CBS coverage of F1 with Daly et. al.?

Now THAT was truly belt and shoelaces time IMHO.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Shabba
Racer

Welcome to the post-Speedvision hell that we 2 wheel nuts have endured for many years now. The first WSBK race was run last weekend...do you think Speed showed it? Nah...The only good thing for 2 wheel fans is that MotoGP is sometimes being shown on Fox so maybe a few folks might be able to see it and become fans... but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Are you kidding?

If you think the Speedvision F1 on air personalitiesare "annoying", I'm just curious, how did you survive the CBS coverage of F1 with Daly et. al.?

I love those guys (Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett and Windsor). They are amusing, informative and keep the party going. Anyone here that doesn't use a PVR to pre-record is missing the good stuff on Speed. I think they actually do a good job of providing quality programming. It's just not on at prime time. Get a PVR.

As far as the TiVo monitoring, they probably only monitor what is on your season pass list. There's no point in seeing what channel the TiVo is tuned to since it could be sitting there most of the time unwatched. I very rarely watch live TV anymore. Everything is pre-recorded so I don't have to watch commercials.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,920 Posts

I saw the super bikes last week and it was quite good. It's really hit (5% of the time, maybe) or miss with SPEED.

F1 and MotoGP are all I look forward to.

I miss their rebroadcasts of German DTM racing.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flight747
I miss their rebroadcasts of German DTM racing.
It was on. I recorded the entire series
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Blackness
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Are you kidding?

If you think the Speedvision F1 on air personalities (Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett and Windsor) are "annoying", I'm just curious, how did you survive the CBS coverage of F1 with Daly et. al.?

Yep. That was horrendous! My Mom could have done a better job and she hasn't been to race since Bid Daddy was breathing Nitro.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Daly's favorite statement, "He's blocking!! That's blocking!!!" Even Varsha had to correct him last season.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On a realted note, Daly is often the commentator for karting (his son Connor is a Nationally ranked competitor) on Speedvision, the show is Lucas Oil 'On The Edge'.
It's just as painful.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,920 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
It was on. I recorded the entire series
Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_for_John
I don't remember who said it, but it was here on Rennlist.

"NASCAR is WWF on Wheels"
+1 for me

I have been saying just that for a good while including here but others must have as well. I is an obvious thought.

We road racing fans have to face it, Road Racing, and the other right hand turns also driving sports do not draw a lot of eyeballs in the US. It's just money.

Thank god for DVRs! Even when a road race is in prime time I still record and time shift just to get past the constant adverts.

Quick Reply: Why does Speed TV keep getting worse and worse?