nearly 180 mph on the Ullman straight

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-sector-times/
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will someone respond to this post?

Originally Posted by PedroNole
So why doesn't ALMS step in like Grand AM does and do some weight/hp adjustments? Having Ferrari win every race can't be good for ALMS much like watching those f-ing yellow corvettes drive around in GT1 isn't good for ALMS.....
Because Grand-Am is NASCAR's version of sports car racing. Ferrari winning in a Grand Turismo class is much different from the races they won with the 333 SP. The F430 GTC, along with the other GT2 cars, are based on a production automobile unlike Le Mans Prototypes except for the new 2008 rule allowing GT1 engines in LMP1 cars which is what Charouz Racing System, Aston Martin Racing have done with Lola's first closed-cockpit sports racecar in over fifteen years, the B08/60.

Bell Motorsports will race the # 008 Aston Martin DBR9 in 2008.

Bell Motorsports

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
For the same reason that they don't step in and make the required changes to LMP1 so that Porsche and other gasoline powered cars stand a chance of competing with the diesels at Le Mans.
First, credit must be given to the ACO/IMSA for embracing alternative fuels and not sitting in a box like NASCAR or mandating tech freezes like F1.

Second, no automobile manufacturers have a purpose-built gasoline/ethanol engine in LMP1 nor their own chassis.

Yes, the regs are wrong in giving 37.5 % more displacement to turbodiesels over turbo'd gasoline engines.

AER, though, will continue development of the P32T motor this year. It may get direct fuel injection.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/aerturbolmp1v8.html

Porsche is not the ACO's most "popular" flavor of the month.
How is that with three Porsche teams in LMS LMP2 and six 911s in LMS GT2?
Old 03-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

..both of which are "lesser" classes.
Do you really think the ACO want a Porsche LMP1 all conquering car?
The ACO has insisted on keeping the diesel rules to avoid precisely that happening, and have "embraced" alternative fuels (mainly diesel) because besides the obvious PR advantages it brings (given the global warming paranoia and the price of oil), it also provides Peugeot (a French manufacturer) with a huge rule advantage, thus allowing them to produce and race a potential Le Mans winner.
It is interesting to note that when the ACO climbed onto this "diesel" band wagon, Renault was dominant in F1, Citroen was dominant in the WRC , and there was no competitive French manufacturer in Sports car racing. Furthermore, the sales for Peugeot cars (of which many are diesel) had slumped by 2% (actual negative growth).
Now if you don't think that this had an influence on the ACO's decisions, then I'm afraid you are not familiar with the ACO's way of doing things.
As for no automobile manufacturers having a purpose-built gasoline/ethanol engine in LMP1 nor their own chassis, well that is a result of the current rules that discourage any non diesel manufacturer from entering LMP1 , knowing from the start that they will be uncompetitive.
Yes Aston has come with an effort, and we will see (in the fullness of time) just exactly how this proves my point.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:51 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Lesser classes? Yes, but the ACO could have added weight to the Ferrari per regs (at least 2007 - haven't checked 2008).

http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/re.../index_gb.html

Does the added weight of the 911 not seem fair in light of the wider tires of the 911?

I would agree with the French/ACO connection if the French government was funding the effort. On a bigger effort, Hitler helped Auto Union and Mercedes-Benz with the 1930s Grand Prix racing.

Of course Pescarolo cannot influence the ACO like Audi and Peugeot.

The Aston Martin DBR9's V-12 likely doesn't weigh 130 kilos like the 5.0 liter Judd V-10 as it isn't a purpose-built LMP engine. Added weight and size doesn't help handling.

Cosworth LMP1 Engine Off - For Now

http://feedmesportscars.com/node/3283
Old 03-15-2008, 11:49 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHO CARES?????? !!!!!!!!!!!!

RSR WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start another thread about ACO.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Yup, just as I said, the rear engine platform doesn't work.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

..just don't forget that the 997EVO was way off the pace of the Risi Ferrari, and was 1 lap down when Melo went bezerk!
I'm very happy for Porsche and Flying Lizards, but one must keep this win in perspective.
The 997 EVO is going to have to improve ...a lot.....and very quickly.
Hmm...I can remember saying the same thing about last years car at the start of last years season
Old 03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

With respect, I agree that Risi was faster, but everything I saw this past week indicates that this year's RSR is a more competitive package than last year's version. It should be a good season of racing.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

..just don't forget that the 997EVO was way off the pace of the Risi Ferrari, and was 1 lap down when Melo went bezerk!
I'm very happy for Porsche and Flying Lizards, but one must keep this win in perspective.
The 997 EVO is going to have to improve ...a lot.....and very quickly.
Hmm...I can remember saying the same thing about last years car at the start of last years season
Its hard to tell from TV, but the Ferraris looked visibly faster in the straights, while the Porsches seemed to take some time back in the corners. Perhaps the RSRs were carrying more downforce?
_____
bs
Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Spyderidol
Racer

There is no doubt that the 997 EVO is faster than last year’s car, but they are still about 0.3 of a second off the qualifying pace of the F430’s.
They are even further back in race trim.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

...the "fastest" car does not always win however! Is .3 seconds significant in the overall picture? Won't the RSR's get faster as the car gets developed? This was literally the first outing for the new package...
Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

I have just discovered a very interesting fact: Last years car, set the fastest GT2 lap time (in race trim) at Sebring of 2:02.723. (Flying Lizards - Patrick Long)
This years car set its fastest race lap time of 2:02.721 (Flying Lizards - Richard Lietz)
Improvement?....
Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

St. Pete: Wolf Henzler gets first GT2 pole

of the # 45 Porsche with Jörg Bergmeister

4-4-2008

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=4088
Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOOOOHHHHOOOOO
Old 04-05-2008, 12:54 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just discovered a very interesting fact: Last years car, set the fastest GT2 lap time (in race trim) at Sebring of 2:02.723. (Flying Lizards - Patrick Long)
This years car set its fastest race lap time of 2:02.721 (Flying Lizards - Richard Lietz)
Improvement?....
You absolutely positively cannot compare two fast times set a year apart. What was the weather? Was the track faster or slower? Yada, yada, yada....

Quick Reply: Where are the 997 RSR ALMS Detractors