Sponsored by:

Where are the 997 RSR ALMS Detractors

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where are the 997 RSR ALMS Detractors

I was going to wait until after the first race to post this, but then it would be hindsight. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the RSR's will kick some butt this year.

So Ferrari and "race the cayman" fanboys take your best shot.

This can be the official ALMS bench racing thread.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the chance to speak with Darren Law (Flying Lizard) about the new cars one on one and in a group setting this past Sunday. Though they ran ~1 second faster with a 2007 RSR outfitted with as much of the 2008 car parts as possible about a month ago, I think the Ferraris were 2 seconds faster? The RSR was already a second off the Ferrari last year. Flying Lizard is at Sebring right now testing full blown 2008 RSRs and even if they gain another second in the "real" 2008 car, they're still 1 second behind the Ferraris.

As Darren put it, without Ferrari mishaps last year, Porsche would not have won a race in GT2. He thinks the RSR will be more competitive this year, but still hard pressed to get a "clean" win. He attributes the relative poor performance of the RSR to Porsche's focus on the Spyder.

Last edited by DrJupeman; 02-27-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche told them to stop testing the 07's due to the whole new suspension geometries correct? Hopefully the the difference is in there somewhere, but 1 second is a long ways.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I think Porsche needs to put Thomas Enge in an RSR to take out the Ferraris
Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Oh, I'm back to emphasize Darren't point that the RSRs lack of competitiveness is a result of poor development and focus by Porsche, not the inherent platform. I asked him if he thought the 997 should be dumped in favor of a Cayman "RSR" and he said, "no". He thought the 911 platform could be competitive with the Ferraris given the right development focus...
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory M
I think Porsche needs to put Thomas Enge in an RSR to take out the Ferraris
Now that was funny. Was it limerock last year when he and Salo got into the bumper cars with the two Ferrari's....
Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 PM
gab997
Racer

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Oh, I'm back to emphasize Darren's point that the RS Rs lack of competitiveness is a result of poor development and focus by Porsche, not the inherent platform. I asked him if he thought the 997 should be dumped in favor of a Cayman "SR" and he said, "no". He thought the 911 platform could be competitive with the Ferrari's given the right development focus...

I would have to say that Porsche was more interested in overall wins last year with the Spyder that the RSR winning GT2 class. I do hope that they do put more emphasis on the RSR development during the year. I do not hold out much hope for a good running at Sebring this year due to the lack of seat time and testing in the 2008's. Hope for the best and see what happens, going to be an interesting year. I would also have to say no to the Cayman as well.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So why doesn't ALMS step in like Grand AM does and do some weight/hp adjustments? Having Ferrari win every race can't be good for ALMS much like watching those f-ing yellow corvettes drive around in GT1 isn't good for ALMS.....
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

For the same reason that they don't step in and make the required changes to LMP1 so that Porsche and other gasoline powered cars stand a chance of competing with the diesels at Le Mans.
Porsche is not the ACO's most "popular" flavor of the month.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

I had the chance to speak with Darren Law (Flying Lizard) about the new cars one and one and in a group setting this past Sunday. Though they ran ~1 second faster with a 2007 RSR outfitted with as much of the 2008 car parts as possible about a month ago, I think the Ferraris were 2 seconds faster? The RSR was already a second off the Ferrari last year. Flying Lizard is at Sebring right now testing full blown 2008 RSRs and even if they gain another second in the "real" 2008 car, they're still 1 second behind the Ferraris.

As Darren put it, without Ferrari mishaps last year, Porsche would not have won a race in GT2. He thinks the RSR will be more competitive this year, but still hard pressed to get a "clean" win. He attributes the relative poor performance of the RSR to Porsche's focus on the Spyder.

Although I'm saddened to hear this, I can't say that it is unexpected.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Although I'm a mid engine fan I hope you're right as I truly would like to see porsche come away with some "clean" wins this year.

Charlie, your comments from Darren are interesting as I would have expected the majority of development to have already taken place with that car (this is the third year) and only minor tweaking is being done to refine the car. Particularly in light of the ACO's restrictions on LMP2... Is Porsches racing staff at Weiscach really that small?? They just built a new facility twice the size of the old one...
Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Yes, I must confess that I am not at all convinced by Darrens "defense" of the current platform.
The real question is whether the current platform would be able to keep up with the advances from the opposition after it managed to catch up.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Yes, I must confess that I am not at all convinced by Darrens "defense" of the current platform.
He was a bit put-out by not winning the Porsche Cup last year, so I'm sure he's not going to bite the hand that ultimately feeds him so to speak since he'll probably be back in the running for the Cup this year. That said, I did receive the impression that he was hopeful Porsche would just spend developing what they have rather than running off and trying something new. As with any race driver, I imagine he wants to win NOW not two years from now once a Cayman RSR has been worked out...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Thanks Doc!
I hope that we don't see a repetition of last years GT2 "fiasco".
Old 02-27-2008, 11:09 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

... As with any race driver, I imagine he wants to win NOW not two years from now once a Cayman RSR has been worked out...
Charlie, are you holding out on us brotha? Spill it !

Quick Reply: Where are the 997 RSR ALMS Detractors