Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire wear with aggressive camber (question)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by todinlaw
Tony, two questions. do you know what the stock camber is on the GT3. Also regarding getting your own camber gauge to DIY do you need a lift to get it done?
IIRC the stock camber in my GT3 was about -1 degree in the front and -1.5 in the back, but don't take that as gospel. As far as setting the rear camber, you do not need a lift, but you have to get the car up a foot or so because you cannot reach the bolts with it sitting on the ground. Keep in mind that you must reset the toe if you change the camber.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I am far from the Road Atlanta track mastah (only been there once, at last year's club race, and absolutely loved it, BTW), but if you're pushing in T1, maybe you have some other balance issues. That turn is fast; I like having some understeer so I can go in deeper and harder. If you've got a big a** H&R sway in the rear and a stock bar up front, it sounds like you love oversteer. Is there that much understeer with a 996TT? I've instructed a student in one and never noticed an excessive amount of push.
Yes 996 turbos have torrential understeer, especially if you go fast. The difference was so big in turn one I could actually use 4th instead of having to go down to third up the hill.

1, 7 and 10b were the big push sections for me, with the camber settings I eliminated 1 and 10b, but I still dont know if the camber settings are ideal for Road Atlanta because you dont spend a lot of time under hard load. 1, 3 and 12 are the only lengthy turns.

Quick Reply: Tire wear with aggressive camber (question)