Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie Questions

I just signed up for my first track day in my 997s. Its a private track day, only 3 cars on the track at any time so i figured this would be a good first event.
Anyway, i used to road race a motorcycle and was also an motorcycle race instructor so Im familiar with some of the basics, but not as it relates to cars.
I want to practice/learn H & T techniques but i wanted to ask for some high level advise re braking. Is there any special points i should remember other than not (i assume) being to aggresive initially. With a motorcycle smoothness is the key, so when braking you squeeze the brakes on giving the suspension time to adjust, then you can go into full pressure, same when getting on the gas coming out of corners.
So, any advise/help or pointers will be much appreciated,.
cheers
Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Get a coach/instructor in the car with you.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Definitely. You need an instructor of some sort.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

most helpfull, thanks
Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found that my best "students" have had motorcycle experience. Motorcycles teach you balance and smoothness, both of which are needed in cars. I have also found the motorcycle experience to be a great "butt dyno" in that the balance learned on a bike translates into awareness of what the car is doing, sometimes on a subconscious level.

That said, having a coach/instructor in the car with you will help with your transition to smooth H/T in a car..
Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by racer
I have found that my best "students" have had motorcycle experience. Motorcycles teach you balance and smoothness, both of which are needed in cars. I have also found the motorcycle experience to be a great "butt dyno" in that the balance learned on a bike translates into awareness of what the car is doing, sometimes on a subconscious level.

That said, having a coach/instructor in the car with you will help with your transition to smooth H/T in a car..
Thanks racer, i just exchanged several e mails with the person who is organizing the track day and he gave me soem great advise. Along with that there will be instructors (including a PCA instructor) available which i will take advantage of. I was hoping for soem thoughts and suggestions from the people on this board, but as i say i got soem good advise via direct e mail.
Actually just went out and practised H & T and i feel that is strating to come togther a little, anyway, thanks a lot for the response.
cheers
Old 02-20-2008, 05:05 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If you are wanting to work on heel/toe, I'd start out at about 5/10 and work my way up as the comfort level etc increases. Maybe start off doing it only on pretty straight forward braking zones/turn-ins. That's what I did when learning to left foot brake.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John H
If you are wanting to work on heel/toe, I'd start out at about 5/10 and work my way up as the comfort level etc increases. Maybe start off doing it only on pretty straight forward braking zones/turn-ins. That's what I did when learning to left foot brake.
Thats exactly what i was doing. I started of just slowing down by taking my foot of the gas, downshifting and matching the revs, no H and T. When that started coming togtehr i cruised in 4th, (on a long straight deserted street) and practised soem actual T & H. I then did it along soem twisties at about 4/10, just to get a feel for it. It seemed to be a lot easier when i was braking heavily as the pedal becomes more in line w/ the gas pedal making the blip easier.
Anyway, im enjoying learning a new skill and look forward to taking it to the track.

cheers
Old 02-20-2008, 05:58 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you know from motorcycles - smoothness is the key, same for driving your car on the track.

I'd like to suggest you get yourself to a PCA or PCA-style Driver Ed - where they put an experienced instructor in that lovely Carrera S with you, and go over the basics. Then you can get all the seat time you want to become proficient in the areas you are looking to excel in. If you read the heel/toe thread you'll see just about every instructor that is registered on Rennlist really loves their h/t --

But what everyone here will tell you, is practice, practice, practice -- and smile - because it is something you truly enjoy dooing.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My advice - don't worry about HT on your first track day in a new car - just put it out of your mind and let it come when it's natural. I don't even expect people to HT until they are well into Yellow and some don't until White. Remember, an upper rebuild is probably $10k...

Point of reference - my son is 18, a "natural", and started DE last spring. Toward the end of his 2nd track day (3nd session of that day, meaning 6 sessions under his belt altogether) he started HT and nailed it right off, which was much sooner than I did.

As I think everyone will attest to (do a search on HT) the street is a very difficult place to practice HT. The inputs are so different - if you can somehow get 10/10ths braking on the street, then you are probably a hazard or on your way to jail Unless you are at say 9/10 braking, the alignment will be very different...
Old 02-20-2008, 06:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,709 Posts

[QUOTE=racer;5127566]I have found that my best "students" have had motorcycle experience. Motorcycles teach you balance and smoothness, both of which are needed in cars. I have also found the motorcycle experience to be a great "butt dyno" in that the balance learned on a bike translates into awareness of what the car is doing, sometimes on a subconscious level./QUOTE]

I've noticed the same thing.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Well, I raced motorcycles and I suck.. and I did it in the woods!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:53 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will join PCA and look at doing some more events, i have a feeling this is going to become an obsession and i will be exploring a track only car ar some point....

cheers
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
My advice - don't worry about HT on your first track day in a new car - ...
Agree. 997 has enough torque that you can leave it one gear and get around.

Concentrate on

1) Learning the track

2) Setting the wheel and balancing the car in the turns

3) Getting your turn-in points set

4) Setting brake points

That's a good weekend's work

To learn H/T, practice on the street until it is as automatic as up-shifting. Its alot harder to H/T at street speeds than track speeds. If you can execute seamless H/T downshifts on the steet, doing it at the track will be apiece of cake
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Well, I raced motorcycles and I suck.. and I did it in the woods!
That must be why you're always trying to put your car in the woods

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions