Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo in Green at Driver Eds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I said I was *considering* joining the ranks... going to run a few practice laps at RA for a bit.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
I have never met a instructor who was instructing to save on the entry fee.
Ah, but I have met non-instructors wanting to become instructors so it wouldn't cost as much for the weekend!

Meanwhile, I know how some of you feel. I was at the track today and speaking to a DE person I have known for a few years. He always drives in Black and realized it may be time to give back and is thinking of being an instructor. Joining in the conversation was another person, who is a PCA instructor -- who knew how he felt. He was one who was a solo for more years than we can imagine - and his wife didn't want him to be in a passenger seat. With all obstacles out of his way, he became an instructor - and a really good one.

Nice having level headed folks around.

And I like your thoughts about - what's the rush? So, next time I have a conversation with this person - I think I'll use your line and see what kind of response I get. Thank you.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any non-instructor wanting to become a instructor to save on the entry fee, would not be the type of instructor I would want to be in the passenger seat.

My wife vehementently did not want me to instruct/she could deal with my driving on a race track, but not with having me sit in the passenger seat with someone who could very easily "outdrive" his talent. It took me a year to convince her about my desire to instruct and now she understands it and is patient with me when I come back and I start going on and on about how good this student was, or how I used this technique or that to instruct. Again, extremely rewarding....
Old 02-18-2008, 09:31 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just another perspective on the question of Green solo. Our club visits many different tracks. A relative novice may be able to negotiate one track after a few days of instructing but would you be able to count on them when they arrive at a new track that they have never driven? We (at NER) sometimes allow a green student to do a couple of solo runs but only in an environment where they are comfortable. At the next event we would give them an instructor. Only after they reach the Intermediate groups (which usually means 12+ days of insruction and several different instructors and a couple of different tracks) do we sign them off to be permanantly solo -- even then we actively encourage them to seek out an instructor whenever possible. Simply makes sense to me to balance the student's desire to do it all by him/herself and the obvious benefit of continued learning from an experienced driver.

Laurie

Quick Reply: Solo in Green at Driver Eds?