Sponsored by:

Exhaust smoke on startup after DE sessions -- 996's & 997's

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
sorry for the dumb question, but what is included in the "motorsport kit" in addition to the motorsport oil pan (X51) I had installed?
The other part of the motorsports kit is the extra scavenging pump for the 4-6 or passenger side cylinder bank. There is also a long suction return tube for the scavenging pump to the cylinder head, this part requires some minor machine work. I'll look around as I may have the part numbers somewhere. But last time I checked the parts were very hard to come by, at least for the 3.4 engine.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 214 Posts

Mike, didn't you mention that you may have added too much oil early on? You were really smoking up the garage at start up, but it would always subside. Has the smoke reappeared since Sunday?
Early on Saturday, I noticed that my oil pressure would drop to about 2 bar at about the apex in T2-T1. After that, I would hold off of the accelerator until I almost hit the bank. I'm now looking to get an X51 pan. Although I understand that the real lubrication benefit from the X51 is due to the extra pump, at $239, I figure that the pan alone won't hurt!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't know if the motorsport kit fixes the smoke at startup issue. That kit is probably a good idea for someone who tracks a wets sump engine and drives hard on slicks or even hoosiers on certain tracks with long high G turns. As to the smoke, My 6 GT3 did it and my 997 RS does it occasionally and these are both full dry sump motors like the turbos (which also smoke from time to time). The breather idea (Ernie) sounds plausible too - so did several other explanations but since it is of no consequence, I never paid much attention.

Best,
Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

They smoke...the dry sumped 964 based engines...the 996/997 flat bottomed engines...they all have some startup smoke...it's inherent in the design of a boxer motor. Not a big deal at all.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke on startup after DE sessions -- 996's & 997's