Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust smoke on startup after DE sessions -- 996's & 997's

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Bob. Every Porsche I have ever owned, on occasion puffed a good ball of smoke on start up. Not every time, on its own time. My Boxster TT and now the GT3. Its a Porsche thing. Dealers tell you its common. I have heard the explanation but I could not recite it.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Mike it's common, but not normal IMO. Overfilling the crankcase with oil can cause this but I think oil pooling on one side or the other during high G runs is another possibilty. Maybe an early sign of oil starvation, maybe not. But what typically happens during high G turns oil pools in one head as it is not adequately scavenged. This is a function of the design of the crankcase M96/97, Porsche solves this on the Motorsports and X51 motors with an extra scavenging pump. At least that's what happened on the 996 motors. Did you happen to notice your oil pressure on turn1 this weekend? I remember my old 996 would bounce a little on that turn in that CW configuration.
I was too scared on T1 to look down at the oil pressure gauge.

Originally Posted by eclou
Mike the reduced mass of your new wheels has led to excessive piston velocities in your car. You need to sell me those wheels immediately to remedy the situation

You guys are always so helpful.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
I was too scared on T1 to look down at the oil pressure gauge.
Great recommendation, however. Wish I had taken notice. I sometimes change the angle of my camera to focus different parts of the car, including the tach, so I'm going to go back and see if I can make out the oil pressure readings from some of my video...
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I have an 80 SC and a 03 Boxster. The SC (with 115k miles) used to puff smoke on start up at random times and it seemed to me that it did it more in the mornings when it had been sitting for a while than at the track. I rebuilt the engine during winter of 07 and it has not smoked since. The Boxster with 37k miles does it as often as the SC used to. I would guess once every 10 - 20 starts. Everyone I have spoken to says it is Porsche genetics.

If you are really worried, do a leak-down test.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mike it's common, but not normal IMO. Overfilling the crankcase with oil can cause this but I think oil pooling on one side or the other during high G runs is another possibilty. Maybe an early sign of oil starvation, maybe not. But what typically happens during high G turns oil pools in one head as it is not adequately scavenged. This is a function of the design of the crankcase M96/97, Porsche solves this on the Motorsports and X51 motors with an extra scavenging pump. At least that's what happened on the 996 motors. Did you happen to notice your oil pressure on turn1 this weekend? I remember my old 996 would bounce a little on that turn in that CW configuration.
I found some video that where I could see my oil gauge, and sure enough, the needle dropped to between 2 and 3 just before the apex of T1, and then up to 5 as I went up the transition to the straight. Other turns had same effect, but usually went down only to 3. I knew that the cause was due to lateral g's, oil pooling, inadequate scavenging, absence of a pump, etc., but never thought monitor oil pressure in the turns. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done nearly all mods possible (X51 oil pan with baffles, 3rd radiator, 1/2 quart less oil, etc) to avoid this issue and occasionally after a session on track it would still happen. My latest approach (and successful so far) has been to idle the car for 5-10 minutes after exiting the track before shutting down. There are many explanations on several boards including pca.org as to why this happens. In any case, my temp solution seems to avoid the embarassing smoke out following a track session.

If anyone has a better explanation AND solution, please bring it on!

Last edited by smsarchitects; 02-13-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly, the only cure is the motorsports oiling kit, also found on the x51. I remember riding with Hurley at PDE and the oil pressure was bouncing around like it was attached to a bungee cord! He said it was normal...
I had the exact experience as you in my old 996 on that turn. But it never smoked so go figure Conversely my turbo stayed pegged at 5 bar thru the entire turn .
At this level of driving it's good practice to take a quick scan of your gauges on straights and long sweepers imo.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 02-13-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Default Smokey Engines

The smoke ,we watercooled Porsche have to put up with is from the crankcase breather system. It is not able to seperate the oil and air before venting into the intake manifold. The Cayman ,I race has a larger breather system on it and NO smoke ever, regardless of how hard its raced. I am working on a smaller crankcase breather, 3-4 months before its released. Need to test. This will be the 4th version, so We done a lot of testing.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects

If anyone has a better [...] solution, please bring it on!
GT3?

Just a thought.

-td
Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ernie J
The smoke ,we watercooled Porsche have to put up with is from the crankcase breather system. It is not able to seperate the oil and air before venting into the intake manifold. The Cayman ,I race has a larger breather system on it and NO smoke ever, regardless of how hard its raced. I am working on a smaller crankcase breather, 3-4 months before its released. Need to test. This will be the 4th version, so We done a lot of testing.
When will you have this part up on your Web site? Did you do the X51 upgrade to the Cayman motor or just the bottom pan upgrade on your web site?

I thought that you were selling the Cayman? Still planning on racing it this year?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ernie J
The smoke I am thinking of is not just a puff at startup, rather a churning out of thick oil smoke for approx 2 minutes- worse on one side. Is this what your breather system addresses or are we talking about two different phenomena?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

The smoke I am thinking of is not just a puff at startup, rather a churning out of thick oil smoke for approx 2 minutes- worse on one side. Is this what your breather system addresses or are we talking about two different phenomena?
I've had it vary from a puff of smoke, to as you describe churning out smoke for a minute or two, worse on one side than the other. Assuming the breather system fixes it, is this something that really needs to be fixed, or is it (the smoke) just an annoyance?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:56 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

My personal opinion is the motorsports oiling kit is the cure.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry for the dumb question, but what is included in the "motorsport kit" in addition to the motorsport oil pan (X51) I had installed?
Old 02-14-2008, 02:07 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Mike,
While I don't have a solution I just wanted to chime in to tell you my 3.4l 996 does this too. I have started to let the car run for a few minutes after each track session to lessen the effect on the next startup but for the most part I just ignore it.

Andy

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke on startup after DE sessions -- 996's & 997's