Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Zone 2 at VIR in March.....Who's going???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 PM
s997gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
Back to our regularly scheduled programming........

TWO WEEKS TO GO!!!!!!!!

Predictions on the thread on the Monday morning after??? Farm Use, BKS/Pansies/Al Gore/Open Passing, The weather, Don B on real suspension and R compounds with less than 113 heat cylcles, the rolling chicane in the black group otherwise known as the cartoon car (me), the amazingly fast cartoon car in the white group (son with a severe lack of understanding of the basic fundametals of physics) pissed because the GT3s aren't giving him point bys???

Please discuss.........
oh no, i running in white----watch for my signal
Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did I mention that the guys at Sassco are awsome?? I found them without Dell's Sattelite view, RA-1s mounted while everyone else was waiting at Checkpoint Charlie for the paddock run at 5:30. Also, this time of year be sure to converse with the guys mounting the tires on the virtues of Tar Heels basketball.

But I digress............
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ted:

Look forward to seeing you again - and yes we shall continue our Al Gore bash fest - unfortunately 3 days will not give us enough time to complete it all.

Brian
Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait, car is in the shop getting a sick setup and some more suspension goodies added to the Moton's....

Question, I just got a new set of RA1's, unsahved. Should I drive them around on the street to wear them in a bit, thoughts?

Stu BTW, we need to plan something out where to meet? Did you get a place to stay? I feel like I forgot all of the important things haha!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Ted:

Look forward to seeing you again - and yes we shall continue our Al Gore bash fest - unfortunately 3 days will not give us enough time to complete it all.

Brian
Pansies Rule!!.............I will be hosting the Thursday evening point by seminar, location and time to be announced.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:28 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Can't wait, car is in the shop getting a sick setup and some more suspension goodies added to the Moton's....

Question, I just got a new set of RA1's, unsahved. Should I drive them around on the street to wear them in a bit, thoughts?

Stu BTW, we need to plan something out where to meet? Did you get a place to stay? I feel like I forgot all of the important things haha!

I would if I were you Martin. You should at least wear the greasy stuff off of them so they arent being broken in at the track for two sessions. New tires can be very slick especially on cold pavement, and in a GT2.

I think it will be too cold and you'll be in green and going too slow to chunk them, but the extra miles and wearing the tread down a little wont hurt. The RA1's supposedly will chunk on you, so the more you wear the tread down the less chance of that.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by wanna911
I would if I were you Martin. You should at least wear the greasy stuff off of them so they arent being broken in at the track for two sessions. New tires can be very slick especially on cold pavement, and in a GT2.

I think it will be too cold and you'll be in green and going too slow to chunk them, but the extra miles and wearing the tread down a little wont hurt. The RA1's supposedly will chunk on you, so the more you wear the tread down the less chance of that.
Damn that's what I figured Iv'e had them before but always shaved, can I get a thin layer shaved off, would that be beneficial? I don't know where I can put them to much good use here in NY especially with 20 degree temps, I want to get there and be ready to roll. I have a day for some info and to make a change guy's, so let the thoughts flow...

BTW i'm running blue!

Martin
Old 02-28-2008, 11:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Oh, my bad, I thought you were in green for some reason.

Yes, getting a thin layer shaved will greatly reduce the break in period. But makes sure whoever does it doesnt damage them, that has been known to happen.

Good point about being in New York, hard to find a good place to get some heat in them and burn that stuff off. Shaving a tiny bit is the best option, or since you're new to VIR like a few of us, just take it easy for a few sessions while you're learning the track.

YOU HAVE THREE DAYS!

But shaving is supposed to make the tires last longer on the track, so shaving is still the best option.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I would get them shaved. Full tread RA1's are not meant for dry track use.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:18 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Awesome info guy's, I was getting them unshaved because I thought they would last a bit longer, I guess it depends n how shaved they are, my first set were low, nnot sure on the depth off hand :/

What do you guy's recommend as far as slightly shaving them?? I'll have 335 meats on the rear and will be taking it easy, so I don't want to over worry about it obviously, just want it proper if you guy's can tell!
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

BKS i guess i am chopped liver now!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey 930 man:

I haven't had a chance to respond to your PM. Will do so later today hopefully.

You are far from chopped liver - an icon is more like it

Brian
Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Brian, car all ready to go? Wheels, body work, etc? Can't wait to see it in it's new form
Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Awesome info guy's, I was getting them unshaved because I thought they would last a bit longer, I guess it depends n how shaved they are, my first set were low, nnot sure on the depth off hand :/

What do you guy's recommend as far as slightly shaving them?? I'll have 335 meats on the rear and will be taking it easy, so I don't want to over worry about it obviously, just want it proper if you guy's can tell!

335's arent going to change the tread depth. Only the length of the sidewall and the width a little bit. The recommended shaving depths are for maximum performance only, I wouldnt know if reducing that would change anything in terms of tire life etc.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dell:

There's nothing new to see. I haven't changed a thing, except oil, and brake pads, and other consumables.

Nothing new, same old same old for me.... Unfortunately.

Brian

Quick Reply: PCA Zone 2 at VIR in March.....Who's going???