Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 964 Club Racer Build...

Guys,

Yes I have been using the search function and finding some good information, but sometimes it is more fun to hear newer ideas than what is in the archives, so here it goes.

I'm new to the 964 platform (the car will arrive in a week or two), so am learning quickly, but there are many questions I have in setting up the car for Club Racing. Here are a couple of questions to start it off:

1. My car will be a 1991 and therefore have the early 964 rear brake caliper. Can I update it to the 1992+ rear brake caliper without being bumped out of stock class? I'm planning on using Pagid Blacks.

2. What brake rotors have people found hold up the best to track duty - in the 993 world people were most happy with Porsche factory rotors? Is there a cross drilled or other vented rotor option? What is the right answer?

3. What front splitter and rear spoiler setup have people been most pleased with?

4. What auxiliary oil cooler setup have people been the most pleased with?

Just FYI, but I'm already prepared to install the following:
- Moton Club Sports
- RS Sway bars
- Cage - not sure if it will be custom or Safety Devices yet
- BBS RS-GTs (18" x 8"/9.5")
- Putting the rest of the 993 track stuff back in

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

1) You can update/backdate within the model range, so you can install the 92 and later 4 piston calipers and remain in the stock class.

2) You can only run the stock rotors. I have found that the difference between OEM rotors and Porsche rotors is often within the balancing where the OEMs have more material ground off. It is usually here where the OEMs prematurely crack. My advice - use Porsche factory rotors for racing.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Geoffrey! Is there anything other than installing the new rear calipers to ensure the system works properly?

Any other words of wisdom in the setup?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You probably want to bleed the system before use

You might think about ducting some air to the front rotors. A stock C2 is heavy and the brakes get used hard. Anything you can do to lower the temperatures will help with longevity and performance. Don't think about using Pagid Orange.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
1) You can update/backdate within the model range,
Does that mean I could have put a US Cup trans (and chip) back in my car?

Skip, I had a Ruf splitter and then a possum took it out on the way down to VIR and I haven't noticed it being gone. Maybe a bigger one would make a difference.

IMA put in my secondary oil cooler, it works well, but was $$$.

I use the factory solid rotors (from Sunset).
Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The Euro RS runs in a different class and was not available for sale here, so no, you cannot run a Euro RS, Euro Cup chip, nor can you run the G50/10 trans. However, you can run a 3.44 R&P from a G50/03 and the gears from a G50/05 since they are transmissions available within a model range.

You may find that the electric wing works better and has less drag than the better looking wings like the 3.8RS (minus the wing element).
Old 02-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

The GT2 second cooler is a really elegant cooler solution available form several sources(Carnewal, Cargraphic, Ruf, FVD or you can make your own)

I retained AC on mine, the second cooler is mounted, outboard of the condenser, w/o AC it replaces the condenser.

I would think seriously about a nice asymmetric LSD, Besides it's other obvious advantages, You can take some of the load off the front brakes by replacing your 45 bar p/v w/ a 55 or 60 bar p/v. The is works better w/ a 40/60 or better lsd.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler. The "RSA" all fiberglass version from MA Shaw is probably the most popular choice for stock class racing. Not considered a wing so completely legal. www.mashaw.com

Splitter. No consensus, here. I'd say most people go with what they think looks coolest. Try these folks: www.rennspd.com

Brakes. Ditto on what Geoffrey/Jim/Bill said. Factory rotors, too. Also, remove the backing plates/dust shields and get a set of titanium shields for additional cooling. http://www.seinesystems.com/TiBrake-Apps.htm

Exhaust. Cat bypass, for sure, and then bypass one of the mufflers (primary or secondary). Your call. It's been debated to death on the 964 forum, so do a search to learn more. Or headers.

Suspension. If you want to stay in stock class, you'll need non-adjustable monoball shock mounts or cambers plates which have been nullified. Maybe someone can elaborate but I know of one racer who was progressed into a Prepared class because of his camber plates.

Miscellaneous
Intake - Cut the airbox, drill holes or go cone. You'll like the sound.
Interior - RSA door panels. www.appbiz.com
Cooling - Remove engine undertray
Motor mounts - Try the WEVO semi-solid item. Your Factory ones are probably shot. www.smartracingproducts.com
Congrats on the new car and have fun!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,

I would think seriously about a nice asymmetric LSD, Besides it's other obvious advantages, You can take some of the load off the front brakes by replacing your 45 bar p/v w/ a 55 or 60 bar p/v. The is works better w/ a 40/60 or better lsd.
The car does have Porsche LSD, which is a nice bonus. What are the comments around 45 bar vs 55-60 bar relating to?

Geoffrey,

What about the RSAmerica type rear wing - or should I just stay with the electric wing?

Thanks guys,

-Skip
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joey.

I thought camber plates were allowed as long as they are wire tied so they don't allow additional camber modification beyond that of the stock mount. Do I misunderstand?

Thanks,

-Skip

Last edited by swftiii; 02-05-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

The cars that came w/ 2 piston rear brakes also came w/ 45 bar p/v to limit rear line pressure above 45bar(ie when braking hard). The 4 piston rears can use more pressure than that and came w/ 55bar p/v. A LSD lets you brake later and harder and allows more rear bias so w/ a motorsports type 40/60 it is a good choice and lets the rear do more work, taking some more of the load off the front brakes.

An aftermarket RSA wing (I have an MA Shaw on my C3) is much lighter and will be somewhat more efficient aerodynamically than a motorized version. The 964 RS & Cups have to run the motorized versions because of class rules.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome, Skip.

One last thing on cage choice. If you think there's a chance you might run this car in NASA, you may want to review their safety requirements. They're a little different than PCA's and would be a lot easier to address now than later. http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules.html
Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree Joey and already printed out the NASA cage requirements with those of PCA.

Now does anyone have any better information on the Camber Plate issue?

-Skip
Old 02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Skip,

The camber plates must be pinned to a stock position. BTW, requiring that a track car have the camber plates remain in a pinned position is one of the most unrealistic rules out there. The average blue DE person is running camber plates and is trying to get the best camber possible, which, more than likely, is greater than what can be achieved with stock mounts. Why? Not just to go faster but also to keep from roaching the outer edges of the tires.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I really thought that BS rule would be dumped this year..

Quick Reply: 964 Club Racer Build...