Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Was the GT-R quicker?
Yes, it was quicker - the GT-R is a quicker car
22.68%
Yes, it was quicker - even though the Porsche driver did mistakes
11.34%
No, it wasn't quicker - the Porsche driver did many mistakes on purpose to make the GT-R pass
14.43%
This whole race was a joke - it was obvious the Porsche was treated really bad to make it look slow
51.55%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Nissan vs. Porsche on track. Find the flaws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Mad_AL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Its a sad day when a sports car weighs 3400lbs, let alone 3800lbs.
The gtr weights only 80kg more then the Turbo, thats half a US male so not "that" much, hence I believe that with the gearbox the gtr might beat the turbo on THAT track.

PS: I bet the hp quoted on the gtr are lower then they actually are.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My math is 342 pounds (155Kg) more.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_AL
The gtr weights only 80kg more then the Turbo, thats half a US male so not "that" much, hence I believe that with the gearbox the gtr might beat the turbo on THAT track.

PS: I bet the hp quoted on the gtr are lower then they actually are.
See my post above on the HP numbers...
Mike
Old 01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You need to remove the weight difference from using light weight racing seats vs. the stock seats.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't matter
The GTR is the ugliest sports car I have ever seen
Old 01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
It's no secret that Nissan used the Porsche as their benchmark to beat. I have written a few articles for Nissan based magazines and most recently for Nissan Sport. [www.nissansportmagazine.com]

They just had a huge spread in the current issue on the GT-R and the "behind the scenes" scuttlebut is the car is turning over 480HP to the wheels, not as they're listing it (ASE rated HP). They've seriously skewed the numbers. At least two of these cars have hit that whp number on the west coast, and there's already been one of these GT-Rs listed as "totaled - salvage only".

My guess is Nissan has done what they always do and played with the numbers on the car to stack the deck, and create tons of hype for marketing. They're claiming a CG of .27 and I'm not seeing it with that car. I'll have to see one in person before I can accept that as their coefficient of drag, because the car doesn't look like an aerodynamic masterpiece to me...

Mike
Mike,
That link isn't working at the moment. Could you cut and paste the relevant content?
While Porsche is typically also conservative in rating hp, I'm not sure most can experience the power increase of SC in road driving. It takes very specific road conditions to allow maximum boost, and I generally can't see it except momentarily at the top of third gear. While I am sure the engine dyno figures are accurate, I am not sure there is one-to-one tranlation to driving. AS
Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The link has a couple of extra pieces of code in it.

Put in wrong link. Sorry back to search for correct one.

Last try http://www.nissansportmag.com/
Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
It's no secret that Nissan used the Porsche as their benchmark to beat. I have written a few articles for Nissan based magazines and most recently for Nissan Sport. [www.nissansportmagazine.com]

They just had a huge spread in the current issue on the GT-R and the "behind the scenes" scuttlebut is the car is turning over 480HP to the wheels, not as they're listing it (ASE rated HP). They've seriously skewed the numbers. At least two of these cars have hit that whp number on the west coast, and there's already been one of these GT-Rs listed as "totaled - salvage only".

My guess is Nissan has done what they always do and played with the numbers on the car to stack the deck, and create tons of hype for marketing. They're claiming a CG of .27 and I'm not seeing it with that car. I'll have to see one in person before I can accept that as their coefficient of drag, because the car doesn't look like an aerodynamic masterpiece to me...

Mike

They cant bring the car to the U.S. with wheel rated hp. SAE numbers wont allow, there is some room for error, but not wheel rated horsepower, U.S. Standards will not permit that, and they have already declared the power to be 480, could be 500, but certainly not 550hp like people are claiming.

Besides that recently one of the Japanese tuners got a little over 500 (like 515) CRANK hp by changing the exhaust and ECU, which are realistic power gains for a Turbo car if it were 480.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

I have seen 2 dynos of the GTR on Dynapack eddy current dynos. 480-500 hp to the wheels all wheels driven. Extremely impressive stock output and about what the heavy car must have to get the kind of trap speeds advertised
Old 01-19-2008, 02:29 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Those dyna pack dynos already converted the numbers to crank hp.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,236 Likes on 606 Posts

No, not converted. The "TCF" is the correction factor for driveline losses. In this dyno it clearly reads "1.0" or no correction adjustment

Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

I guess nobody told pobst and Galati this a couple of years ago at Road America when the ran 2:14 with 275lbs rewards weight, on TOP of their spec 3200lbs!!!!!

Amazing what set up and big tires can buy you. Did i forget to mention 600hp 4x4! Oh, and by the way, that skyline is probably in this same HP range.

I wouldnt make too much of the braking capabilities of the skyline vs the porsche turbo. thats more a function of weight and tires. There have been plenty of times I was able to run up on cars with far superior brakes in the braking zones. more scary, but certainly possible.

MY view on this is the skyline obviously has more hp. that dyno is more like what i have seen and heard about skylines.
the driver of the porsche TT certainly was sloppy in and out of the turns.

on the track, i think many of the stock cars, or stockish high performance cars would be pretty even. vet, viper, TTporsche, etc. Now, could the skyline last an entire hour race??? or a season of racing?? hard to say.

These tuner NSXs, Evo's, subaru's are running in the low 1:30s at Laguna now. they are all relatively light platforms, with 4x4 and a ton of HP. It doesnt take much car to run fast anymore!

Mk

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Wasn't the 928 lambasted in it's day for being an overweight 3300 lb GT?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

http://www.nissansportmagazine.com/

Like eclou said, the reports are showing this car to make well over the 475BHP rating. I haven't seen this first hand but the multiple reports I've been told of have stated what these dyno numbers show... The underrated this car's power big time...

And it still looks ulgy as sin...

Mike
Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy driving the GTR was faster than the guy driving the GT3. Was there any question about that?

When cars drive themselves, then we'll see which car is faster.

Sherwood
Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
No, not converted. The "TCF" is the correction factor for driveline losses. In this dyno it clearly reads "1.0" or no correction adjustment
Sorry, I'll beleive the tuners and the company and SAE ratings before random street dyno's.

You should go and pick up a copy of the February 2008 copy of Option Magazine. Hiro the editor in chief just sent me a copy because there’s a feature of Cosworth in it. Aside from the fact that there’s a bitchin feature of Cosworth in it (and a picture of yours truly with a stupid *** smile), the main focus of this issue is the R35 GT-R. There’s also a R35 GT-R catback exhaust test in it where some shop fabricated a titanium catback exhaust and the car made 507.9ps (500.95hp) at the flywheel. Granted, this test was conducted on a Dynapack so it probably read 5% or higher than any other dyno, but the gain of 22ps is for real. If you can’t do the math, that’s 485ps from the factory which is pretty god damn buff already considering the car is rated at 480hp at the flywheel. The boost went up by 0.1kg/cm^2 (1.42psi) due to the reduced backpressure, but this also tells you that the car has some serious potential from the factory. By looking at this exhaust I can guarantee you that it’s louder than hell so I wouldn’t expect a 22ps gain on a production catback exhaust though. Excuse the ****ty scans…

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/?p=540

Quick Reply: Nissan vs. Porsche on track. Find the flaws?