Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track time and the economy

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008 | 07:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

We're not talking about crystal meth here, Brendan.
Old 10-07-2008 | 07:16 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrendanC
I'm always surprised at what people hold back on. I would never hold back on things that make me happy or help me keep my mind straight.
That might be you and that's great, but for others, track time with the associated costs of consumables between tires, brakes, gas, etc. are considered entertainment and not necessities and are 1st to be cut in the budget.

You should know being in Socal, the cost of track rental at Calspeedway, BW, Willow have gone up. I wonder if they will go down as the supply and demand of their rentals fluctuate.
Old 10-07-2008 | 09:45 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

It doesn't take a big stretch of one's imagination to ponder likely outcomes of this "once in a century" kind of crisis. Consider this...

- roughly 30-40% of global (yes Global) wealth in market based assets has been wiped out
- 30% of homes in the U.S. have negative equity
- the financial system is frozen (hopefully it will thaw soon) and new credit is virtually non-existent. If Goldman Sachs and General Electric have to beg uncle Warren and pay him at least 10% interest on money guaranteed by uncle Sam, it tells us something about the severity and magnitude of the problems.
- almost every segment is impacted...autos, real estate, travel & hospitality, insurance, banking, commodities. Perhaps pharma & healthcare not so much.
- job losses will continue as businesses retrench

So what does it do for "track" events? Some of us may have to judiciously balance how we spend on hobbies and necessities. Some may perhaps label this as doom & gloom. From my perch it's called realism. And it's not a pretty picture.

Really hope I'm wrong this time...

Cheers!
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:08 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
We're not talking about crystal meth here, Brendan.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:16 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
That might be you and that's great, but for others, track time with the associated costs of consumables between tires, brakes, gas, etc. are considered entertainment and not necessities and are 1st to be cut in the budget.

You should know being in Socal, the cost of track rental at Calspeedway, BW, Willow have gone up. I wonder if they will go down as the supply and demand of their rentals fluctuate.
I'm now wondering why they went up. Possibly because of supply and demand. Now that people aren't going as much, maybe they will go back down?

I understand your original point Pete. My notion was that when you cut "entertainment" you lose the things you look forward to. People in jobs with set locations (not me) - they look forward to these things greatly. I guess that's a subject for a different thread.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:17 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Really not trying to start an argument, but do you have a source for this one? I work in real estate and that's dramatically higher than I have heard.

I also live in the recession-proof north east.
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:32 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

30% appears to be for homes bought in the last five years.

http://www.zillowblog.com/look-aroun...water/2008/08/

All homes is closer to 14%.
Old 10-07-2008 | 11:18 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
30% appears to be for homes bought in the last five years.

http://www.zillowblog.com/look-aroun...water/2008/08/

All homes is closer to 14%.
That's a strange link.

The gentleman quotes numbers with "authority" but gives little to no footnotes. Then there is an ad for 5.XX% mortgages. Then there are discussions that read like ads for "REALTORS".

I'm not doubting that the issue exists. Many bought with little to nothing down, and many others who had equity borrowed it out. So, yes, many homes are underwater. But I'm not sure I trust zillow at all...Frankly I don't know whom to believe right now.

But bottom line, I expect many tracks to be more open this Fall/Winter. You should talk to guys in the golf industry!!! Absolutely tanking!
Old 10-08-2008 | 01:52 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

We're already "poor" in Upstate NY, just like the housing bubble-then-crash it will likely hardly be a tremor felt here.
Old 10-08-2008 | 07:51 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by BobbyC
It doesn't take a big stretch of one's imagination to ponder likely outcomes of this "once in a century" kind of crisis. Consider this...

- roughly 30-40% of global (yes Global) wealth in market based assets has been wiped out
- the financial system is frozen (hopefully it will thaw soon) and new credit is virtually non-existent. If Goldman Sachs and General Electric have to beg uncle Warren and pay him at least 10% interest on money guaranteed by uncle Sam, it tells us something about the severity and magnitude of the problems.
- almost every segment is impacted...autos, real estate, travel & hospitality, insurance, banking, commodities. Perhaps pharma & healthcare not so much.
- job losses will continue as businesses retrench

So what does it do for "track" events? Some of us may have to judiciously balance how we spend on hobbies and necessities. Some may perhaps label this as doom & gloom. From my perch it's called realism. And it's not a pretty picture.

Really hope I'm wrong this time...

Cheers!

Well said Bobby... and I hope you're wrong too but I doubt it unfortunately
Old 10-08-2008 | 07:56 AM
Alan G.
Pro

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Well said Bobby... and I hope you're wrong too but I doubt it unfortunately
+2,N/M
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:28 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm holding back on going to the track. I haven't been since July and probably won't go back until 2009 (when in 2009, not sure). I'm paying off debt and saving dough, and keeping a close eye on the economic news and political news, and until 1 or both of them settle down, I'm just gonna lay low...
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:42 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The economy has affected me bigtime. I saw the down-turn coming at the beginning of this year. As a contractor, I saw (and still see) other companies taking work at or below cost to keep their workers going until this blows over. It isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I am hoping that once some of the low-ballers drop out I can get some profitable work again.

I sold the racecar and the trailer, fortunately at the right time, and hope that I can hang on. Anyone who has a salaried job with a solid company should count themselves blessed at this point.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:57 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Anyone who has a salaried job with a solid company should count themselves blessed at this point.
+1. Most people take such things for granted. I know I did.
Old 10-08-2008 | 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The economy has affected me bigtime. I saw the down-turn coming at the beginning of this year. As a contractor, I saw (and still see) other companies taking work at or below cost to keep their workers going until this blows over. It isn't going to happen anytime soon, and I am hoping that once some of the low-ballers drop out I can get some profitable work again.

I sold the racecar and the trailer, fortunately at the right time, and hope that I can hang on. Anyone who has a salaried job with a solid company should count themselves blessed at this point.
Yup, we are at the bottom of a normal cycle, unfortunately, but this time with extra zesty bad debts.

Quick Reply: Track time and the economy