Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track time and the economy

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008 | 03:50 AM
mdrums
Race Director

As a traveling sales rep on commision only the fuel prices affect my job and it seems to be affecting the music instrument store I sell to. I do not sell a necessity and customers are cutting back on buying. However during the early 90's recession I still did really good and playing music turned into an outlet for a lot of people.

With gas prices what they are what hobby of mine that has really been affected is boating. I just do not want to afford putting gas into my boat and going to the track seems more fun and a little less costly than a weekend out on the water in the boat.

Anyone want to buy a new Fountain 38TE with triple Mercury 275 Verado's?
Old 01-17-2008 | 09:24 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

^^^^^
If there's anything that can suck down more fuel that a race car it's a nice boat!! Even the Verado's
Old 01-17-2008 | 09:35 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

For the masses...

After man-on-the-street interviews creating general fear about losing your job, ABC News today reports on ways to protect your paycheck:

1. Create a career safety net
2. Read the news
3. Get transfered to a dept that makes money instead of costs money
4. Get to know the big wigs
5. Get your resume ready
6. Contact 50 people and wish them Happy New Year.

Cool, I'll get started on those right away!

OK, RedLineMan was right. Go ahead and smash your TV's.
Old 01-17-2008 | 09:58 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
2. Read the news
5. Get your resume ready
Rennlist version...

(Sign up for every DE within a 100 mile radius)

2. Read the news
(Read Rennlist)

(Solicit a local sponsor to have their name prominently displayed on your track car)

(Introduce yourself to the lead instructor)

5. Get your resume ready
(Update your profile at clubresgistration.net)

(Happy New Year everyone! )
Old 01-17-2008 | 10:06 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think for many, there is job insecurity. For those, having a game plan is important. People tend to become too complacent in their job and expect their bosses to continue to employ them. When it comes time to lean out one's workforce, a good leader looks for the "dead wood" and weeds them out first.

But aside from that, let's keep the one hobby that satisfies on so many levels.

Damn the torpedos!
Old 01-17-2008 | 10:21 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I think one message I heard here was, when people start spending money, the economy gets better??!!
Gotta go....gotta save the economy by buying some race parts
Old 01-17-2008 | 11:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by smlporsche
^^^^^
If there's anything that can suck down more fuel that a race car it's a nice boat!! Even the Verado's
You got that right! My boat at cruise 4000rpms 50mph gets 1.3-1.4mpg. By the time I boat for the weekend running around Tampa Bay, St. Pete eatting at resturants on the water or a short 40 mile out fishing trip.... I can go to the track for a day or 2 and with the fuel bill, hotel bill and the cost of the wear I do on the tires and brake pads come out way ahead. So my hobby has changed from boating to tracking. Plus I enjoy the challenge and the friends I am making at the track.
Old 01-17-2008 | 11:28 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

The folks that will have the most trouble in a down time are often the ones that lived the highest during the up times.

I don't plan on as many away events this year and also plan to do more events where the instructors do not pay. Less away events than 2 years ago is more due to kids and time thasn fuel costs or the down turn.
Old 01-17-2008 | 03:52 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
I think we're going to see tires run many more heat cycles this year compared to last year!!
I was thinking that too...
Old 01-17-2008 | 03:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool I am here to help...

Will one of you with a set of 996 MY 2002 18" wheels, getting ready to go Chapter 7, send me a PM. I have got $600 for you and I'll pay the shipping!!!
Old 10-07-2008 | 03:58 PM
171mph
Racer

oh it's getting ugly...this from a very well-run DE org (sent a couple of weeks ago BEFORE the recent meltdown):

"As you're aware, we have a number of events remaining this season that need to be filled. With today's economy, fuel prices, competing events, and the end of the driving season on the horizon, it's clear why we're beginning to see a drop in participation at the track. It's not just us car people, it's all groups including the motorcycle clubs. Drivers & Riders are simply watching their dollars, cutting back on the number of track events they attend, and being more selective about the events they do attend.

One of the reasons ______ continues to brings you the best selection of track events each year is because we fill events and keep the tracks and our drivers safe and happy. We would like to continue bringing you the variety of events you're accustom to, but we need your help to make that happen. In the spirit of our up-coming elections, we've decided to create our own version of an economic stimulus program and call it the 'Track Stimulus Program'. The 'TSP' consists of a number of ways for you to save money this season and next.
What are the details for this program and others? Read on to find out!"

The good news is track events are getting priced a little lower. There's even one at Thill for $99 coming up.
Old 10-07-2008 | 04:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

too bad I won't be in town for any of the stimulus events...I got that email too
Old 10-07-2008 | 05:07 PM
cmoss

DE's? Maybe nest year--'prolly not.
Old 10-07-2008 | 07:06 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

A data point on the original topic, registrations for DEs in the North East have been down all this season. Consider that the 48 hours of the Glen did not sell out in 24 hours (as has been the norm for years). Big regions have cancelled events due to a lack of registration. All this was before the latest bad news.
Will track rental fees go down I wonder? With fewer participants and track costs likely to remain constant, I am wondering how we can make DE more affordable.
Old 10-07-2008 | 07:07 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

I'm always surprised at what people hold back on. I would never hold back on things that make me happy or help me keep my mind straight.

Quick Reply: Track time and the economy