Sponsored by:

Group Buy on IQ3 Data logger from Racepak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 10:46 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Installed it this weekend, install was very simple, hardest part was fabbing a bracket to mount it.
I'll play with the shift light on the unit, then remove my existing shift light. Can't wait to try it out next weekend!!

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm trying to get mine ready for this weekend, we'll see how it turns out.

BTW, I thought that the IQ3 needed to be mounted perpendicular to direction of travel? From your pics, it would look to be at an angle? Or did you just go for the Display Dash unit?

Thanks to both you and Chris for setting up the group buy.

-Noby
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Noby, no prob, I always enjoy saving everyone a few $$.

Yes it is at angle, I need to call Tim at Racepak and ask if that will be a problem,
I sure hope not, cause I really didn't want to put it where the tach is.

Also unless you have a old laptop with a 9 pin serial plug in the back you will need
to buy a USB to serial plug adapter.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin,
Please post here when you get that answer from Tim. I'm not sure what the offset range is on the new 3-axis accelerometer chipset in the IQ3
Old 03-05-2008, 12:12 AM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Also unless you have a old laptop with a 9 pin serial plug in the back you will need to buy a USB to serial plug adapter.
All set there, I have a few Keyspan USB-DB9 adapters. Taking too long to get a bracket fabbed out of Al, cobbled one out of acrylic. Should wrap up power and tach wiring tomorrow...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Kevin,
Please post here when you get that answer from Tim. I'm not sure what the offset range is on the new 3-axis accelerometer chipset in the IQ3
Here you go...

Since you already have the dash mounted for this weekend, I would go ahead and run it as it. You can re-set the G data if the dash is tilted top to bottom but when it is twisted left/right, there is not a method to re-set. This is due to how G meters see forces. With a left/right twist, the lateral G data would look normal at rest...ie close to zero, but when cornering you would affect the G data due to the angle/twist of the dash. With the dash tilted top/bottom, at rest the vertical G data would show a reading based on the angle of the dash, which can be re-set.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxster_s_257
All set there, I have a few Keyspan USB-DB9 adapters. Taking too long to get a bracket fabbed out of Al, cobbled one out of acrylic. Should wrap up power and tach wiring tomorrow...
Lets see the install
Old 03-14-2008, 12:33 AM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

I'm racing at TWS this weekend and don't have a camera.

Took the front cover off of my steering column and screwed in a bracket in lieu of the cover. Due to time constraints, I used 0.220" acrylic (too much cutting/grinding). As expected, it does flex a bit. Getting one water jetted out of 3/16" Al as we speak.

I'll PM you some pics after the weekend.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:56 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Thanks Kevin. Was talking to Tim and he mentioned this too. The IQ3 needs to be mounted perpendicular to the car's axis, which is common to most loggers.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Is this finished?

Perhaps unstick it if so.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys, I'm in the mood (market) for an IQ3 Data logger and would love to see some pics, comments, criticisms, etc.

Haven't heard a peep from this thread in a long while, so I thought I'd breath some aire into it.

Thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 12:25 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

George,

I haven't sprung for one yet, but can provide you with the feedback I've gotten from my customers. I've sold around 25 of these and collected the information as it comes back. Overall the feedback with the units is good. I haven't had a single one come back, and no failures that I am aware of.
Pros:

1. A number of AIM (and other) models often only have lateral G data instead of the 3-axis of the IQ3.
2. The predictive analysis software for laptimes on the IQ3 is apparently a real nice addition. Lets you know if you are off on a particular lap (more importantly WHEN) in real time.
3. IQ3 dash is a little more modern and easier to read, much easier to program.
4. Addition of sensors and gauges is plug-and-play if using racepak items rather than requiring extensive setup and progamming time. I've had a number of customers comment on the rather high cost of the sensors compared to a factory sensor, but then when we realized the labor cost (@ $125/hr around here) of installing the wiring and testing/setup of the factory sensors to other boxes, it was actually cheaper to buy the plu-and-play ones.

Potential negs with the IQ3?

1. Doesn't come with much for external sensors. To integrate factory sensors you'll need the $200 USM to convert. You'll also need a vnet cable. Unlike the racepak sensors this does require some setup but will read up to 4 devices (usually oil temp/pressure, water temp, and one more)
2. All-in-one design requires the unit to be mounted perpendicular to chassis direction, so it can't be mounted off to the side at a 45 degree angle. (This isn't an issue for most people)
3. They come with a serial interface. USB is universally preferred.

The unit records G's, gear, RPM, speed, etc.. out of the box. External sensors will require the USM and a cable as a mentioned (or their sensors). Simple setup but still an "extra". I also suggest use of the MSD inductive spark pickup to simplify installation. It will pick up RPM this way instead of having to tap into your computer or tach signal. No unit under a reasonable price will come with the linear sensors necessary for true proportional throttle/brake/steering that I know of. There is a throttle/steering/brake package that contains everything you need there. It's not cheap but once again, the software setup is done for you largely, saves some time..

OTOH if you already have a G2X the IQ3 display dash is out now and plugs in to that model (as opposed to the LED style display that comes with the G2X)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Anyone want to buy a new traqmate - I have a new one and cannot use it as I dont have a car to run it in yet...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by George3
Hey guys, I'm in the mood (market) for an IQ3 Data logger and would love to see some pics, comments, criticisms, etc.

Haven't heard a peep from this thread in a long while, so I thought I'd breath some aire into it.

Thanks
Any deal on 3 buys at once? I know two other fellows that want one now also.. V-tech and BostonDMD..
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be in for the right price.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Chris has first option on another group buy, but if he can't do it I'll see what I can do.

Quick Reply: Group Buy on IQ3 Data logger from Racepak