Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rolex Daytona 1st Day of Pratice

Old 01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts

WHat does being seventeen have to do with wanting a second look??
Old 01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks for the pics Tom! That one shot on the turn plates with strings really illustrates the ride height differences from side to side the car needs to have for the high speed banking!
Just a note here, the Cup cars are not setup with different ride height for Daytona, I think it is just a visual effect . In fact they are never 100% at the same ride height left and right but that is not done on purpose.

The Cup cars for this race are not the usual Cup cars, they have small differences in bodywork and more powerful engines than the regular Cup cars (Some drivers say up to 40-50HP). Redline is beyond 9K RPMs (shiftpoints around 8800 RPMs vs. 8200 RPMs for supercup) also and they have specific restrictors for this series.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Daytona every fractional point of Cd and every HP count big time. Especially in qualifying. Interesting comment Jean. I couldn't remember us ever having set the ride heights different because of the banking either. Thought maybe it was a new development with these "new-fangled" cars. We usually wanted the car right on the splitter the whole way round the track (about .5 inch clearence). In fact, seems to me we set the 3.8s up for what was then known as the "International Hairpin" or turn 4 IIRC. So the car was set up to take a slow-speed, right hand turn, not a left. The lefts were pretty much benign except for the one back onto the banking out of the infield. Its problem was more of the transition from the flat to the banking then anything else. The turn itself is a pretty big radius.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Leh,

How do you think the race will go and who will be your toughest competition ?
theres like 12 cars that have a good chance to win....

i hope it goes well and we dont have bad luck...

but with it so competative... the winner will get nothing but good luck.....
Old 01-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kingleh

Leh,
Good luck this year, you have a hell of a lineup. Just make sure they use the Water Flush this year instead of taking the freaking cap off and trying to pour water into the system like they did last year.
-Phil Gilsdorf
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding set-up, each team and each driver within the team has a different approach to how the car should be set up, but from what I hear, all the cars are set up with some degree of understeer so that they can induce as much throttle oversteer as they want. How the teams actually corner balance the cars, along with other tricks, are of course team trade secrets.

Leh,

I wish you guys good luck. While, as you obviously know, we are rooting for Andy in the #66, it would be great to see you guys come across the finish line in a dead heat. Good luck to you. If we get a chance, we'll come by and say, "Hi."
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

You are right Leh. Really hard to say who WILL win. FL, TRG, Speedsource, Blackforest , the Pontiacs..... or even my old team Alegra could suprize again.

Let's see. Will be interesting.

Theo
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Leh,

When you are at the Sebring club race (if you make it) I will strong arm Russell into buying you a shot o' Whiskey for every lap you crank out under 1:50 so get busy.

Good Luck!!

Chris Brown
Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

new tires are really gud!
Leh what's the difference in the new Hoosiers?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:33 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
The Cup cars for this race are not the usual Cup cars, they have small differences in bodywork and more powerful engines than the regular Cup cars (Some drivers say up to 40-50HP). Redline is beyond 9K RPMs (shiftpoints around 8800 RPMs vs. 8200 RPMs for supercup) also and they have specific restrictors for this series.

The grand-am engine is the same as the 08 cup engine except for the headers. 8500 redline in 1-5 and 8200 in 6th. Grand-am gives us a restrictor to put in as well. The front fenders are wider to accomodate the 285 size front tires. The rear are 305.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Any bets on a sub 1:50 qualifying time for GT? not sure of the fuel load and weight requirements when these times were set though...
I think a sub 50 will be tough. The pirelli's dont have that magic lap with new tires. They take several laps to come up to temp and stay very consistent. Some of our fast laps came on 40 lap tires.

The mazda that busted off a lap at testing was imeadiately taken to the grand-am tech shed. I heard the mazda guy was not too happy with them for going that fast.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

OK I will amend my offer and say a sub 1:51 lap. But it will need to be cheaper whiskey
Old 01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
I think a sub 50 will be tough. The pirelli's dont have that magic lap with new tires. They take several laps to come up to temp and stay very consistent. Some of our fast laps came on 40 lap tires.

The mazda that busted off a lap at testing was imeadiately taken to the grand-am tech shed. I heard the mazda guy was not too happy with them for going that fast.
I know the same thing happened to the cars turning the fastest laps in the ST class as well.

Sounded like there were a few team owners saying to the tech officials "go ahead and pull my data but how bout you look at those other cars that you can hear lifting the entire time they are on the banking"

Lots of sandbagging as usual at testing.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
gt3skea
Instructor

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
OK I will amend my offer and say a sub 1:51 lap. But it will need to be cheaper whiskey
SAVE YOUR MONEY, GET A CUP CAR
Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Good luck to all the RL Porsche Pilots! I'll be cheering you guys on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rolex Daytona 1st Day of Pratice