Sponsored by:

Moton Club Sports

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:17 AM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Moton Club Sports

How good are these dampers relative to a JRZ two way adjustable unit. The price is about 2K less which is attractive, unless it's one of those you get what you pay for scenarios. I'd like to upgrade once and just worry about springs going forward. Anyone have thoughts??

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-26-2007, 12:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

steve weiner will chime in soon.
club sport is at least on par with JRZ two ways.
in my personal exp., moton has much better after sale service.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
in my personal exp., moton has much better after sale service.
+1
Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I have no direct comparison to the JRZ 2-ways, but I love my club sports. 2 years with no problems (no leaks, holds canister pressure, consistent, etc.).

I did have to call with a question once. Lex answered (he's the guy that builds the shocks) and offered spot-on advice.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Moton dampers and JRZ dampers are virtually the same. They are made by one of the people who started JRZ and use the same parts. There are minor differences. Moton has two lines of dampers, the race version and the club sport version, as does JRZ. The difference between the two lines are the number of adjustments and the construction of the damper. So, if you are comparing the Moton clubsport to a JRZ race (which I think you are given the 2k price difference), then the JRZ race damper will be a better damper. If you compare it to the JRZ clubsport version, then they are very similar. In the end, as has been mentioned, the Moton has excellent support, but more importantly is finding a distributor who can help you with an appropriate spring package for your car. Steve can certainly do that.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I have and love the Moton Clubsports, and chose them after doing a fair bit of research. There has been some talk here on Rennlist, however true it may or may not be, that the JRZ's require more frequent rebuilds. I have had my Motons for about three years now and, knock on wood, have not had to rebuild the dampers nor have I had any leaking or pressure issues.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Moton dampers and JRZ dampers are virtually the same. They are made by one of the people who started JRZ and use the same parts. There are minor differences. Moton has two lines of dampers, the race version and the club sport version, as does JRZ. The difference between the two lines are the number of adjustments and the construction of the damper. So, if you are comparing the Moton clubsport to a JRZ race (which I think you are given the 2k price difference), then the JRZ race damper will be a better damper. If you compare it to the JRZ clubsport version, then they are very similar. In the end, as has been mentioned, the Moton has excellent support, but more importantly is finding a distributor who can help you with an appropriate spring package for your car. Steve can certainly do that.
x2. JRZ race dampers have red canisters, while the lower Clubsport lines have blue shock/reservoir.

JRZ Clubsport also comes in two versions, the RS Pro with remote reservoir, and the RS without. Both are double adjustible.

The price difference between Race and RS Pro is ~$2k. RS costs ~$1k less than the RS Pro. The exact difference depends on the specific model.

Trending Topics

Old 12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

+2 on the Motons. I have the clubsport on my 993 and love them. Complete adjustability allows me to tailer to track. Also offers a sensible street/track solution since you can soften the bite quite a bit.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
How good are these dampers relative to a JRZ two way adjustable unit. The price is about 2K less which is attractive, unless it's one of those you get what you pay for scenarios. I'd like to upgrade once and just worry about springs going forward. Anyone have thoughts??

Thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff:

Great input here,...

JMHO, but Moton's quality control (that means longevity) and support really eclipses JRZ's by a wide margin and those are the main reasons to choose that product.

Without a doubt, both shocks would work very well for you as long as the vendor chooses the proper spring rates for you and provides setup & tuning information so you can take full advantage of their capabilities.

Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:52 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff, as my car is currently parked in Portland, OR @ Rennsport Systems awaiting it's race JRZs / suspension mods. I am happy to read all the positive feedback and as Geoffrey and Mooty stated, the fact that Steve knows how to put the whole package together. I've been working with Steve three years on this car from afar, but now it is time for him to do his magic snf put it asll together. Can't wait to get it back in it's new iteration.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:18 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911S3.6
Great stuff, as my car is currently parked in Portland, OR @ Rennsport Systems awaiting it's race JRZs / suspension mods. I am happy to read all the positive feedback and as Geoffrey and Mooty stated, the fact that Steve knows how to put the whole package together. I've been working with Steve three years on this car from afar, but now it is time for him to do his magic snf put it asll together. Can't wait to get it back in it's new iteration.
steve has always been helpful with my zillions of questions. thank God, he's in OR., else i might as well just deposit my paychk into his shop every month.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:21 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by mooty
steve has always been helpful with my zillions of questions. thank God, he's in OR., else i might as well just deposit my paychk into his shop every month.
LOL,...Hey John,.....I can make arrangements for that to happen,...

CA is a LOT closer to OR than MO,....
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks Guys,

Great Input...I haven't ever heard anyone say a bad thing about the motons. My only hesitation was the concept of "Club sport" and being more "affordable". My concern was what do you give up...sounds like not much.

Steve I will take you up on that..actually you had kindly responded to an e-mail I sent already. I want to pull the trigger here shortly. I'll be in touch. I'm doing the math on Evo uprights / tie rods so I can get this all done at once. It adds up in a hurry which is why I like the Moton value.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Thanks Guys,

Great Input...I haven't ever heard anyone say a bad thing about the motons. My only hesitation was the concept of "Club sport" and being more "affordable". My concern was what do you give up...sounds like not much.
Personally, I don't think you give up much at all since the 14-way Race shocks take more time, effort, and experience to get optimized.

Steve I will take you up on that..actually you had kindly responded to an e-mail I sent already. I want to pull the trigger here shortly. I'll be in touch. I'm doing the math on Evo uprights / tie rods so I can get this all done at once. It adds up in a hurry which is why I like the Moton value.

Thanks
Jeff
I'm at your service anytime you want and I can provide the necessary EVO uprights/tie-rods if that helps. I do provide new wheel bearings, too.

Don't forget to budget for front Camberplate/monoball and rear monoball mounts, too.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Guys,

Thanks
Jeff
you need the evo uprights. with motons i suspect you will lower a car a bunch and may change susp geo enough to encounter bump str. evo uprights will fix that geometry issue.

Quick Reply: Moton Club Sports