Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the deal with race licenses??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question What is the deal with race licenses??

Sorry for the dumb question. But is there any standardization between different racing bodies??
I have a NASA comp license and have a PBOC and PCA race coming up. Is each a different license?
Do I need three licenses to race in Florida??
Doesnt seem to make sense?
Thoughts??

thanks tom the noob racer!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Sorry for the dumb question. But is there any standardization between different racing bodies??
I have a NASA comp license and have a PBOC and PCA race coming up. Is each a different license?
Do I need three licenses to race in Florida??
Doesnt seem to make sense?
Thoughts??

thanks tom the noob racer!
Many organizations will recognize comp licenses from other groups as well. They usually state what they do accept in their rules and regulations. I'm pretty sure PCA accepts a NASA comp license, not sure about PBOC but I'd expect they do as well.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is addressed on page 3 of the PCA rule book. Looks like as long as you have 6 races in the last two years with NASA you can use your license to apply for a PCA license. Of couse you can't just show up with a NASA license.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:15 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Every org will require you to buy a license for that organization. However if you have a valid comp license from one you don't need to do anything (ie comp schools, tests etc) other the paper work and send in the check to get another one. I believe it comes down to insurance for the events that each racer needs to have a valid comp license for the org they are running in. Some groups grant you a provisional based on another group comp license, but even all you need to do is keep your nose clean and then you get a full one.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Which reminds me, all licenses ( including mine!) expire 12/31/07!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with the PCA rules. In general, the process is very well laid out and there probably won't be much deviating.
http://www.pca.org/clubrace/docs/forms.htm

The National Program Coordinator, Susan Shire, is a real peach to work with but she will also expect you to be familiar with all requirements and in compliance, e.g. physical exam must be within two months of submission.
Specific questions? clubrace@pca.org
Old 12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure about PBOC, but follow Bagadonuts advice ASAP if you want to race in PCA. If you have completed at least 6 races with NASA in the last 24 months and have documentation to prove it, you will get your PCA license. If not, you will have to attend Club Racing School (class room, practice starts, observation by stewards during all sessions) at your first PCA Club Race event.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Ah yes...Ms. Sunshine, I mean Shire

Seriously, I read all the medicals for my race groups (NASA, PCA, and HSR) and took the most strict (I thought PCA). That, plus dealing w/Susan in the past, I took the PCA medical form to the doctor, got my medical, and sent that form to the other organizations. That way, I knew Susan would take it and all are pretty good about taking each other's medical. Just remember to get it when required. For me at 51, that's every 2 years. Make sure you take the medical form and read it to make sure everything is done. This can be a show stopper.

Also plan ahead, sometimes things can come up that you need to straighten out before race time. I must say though, I had a NASA and PCA license and saw a HSR race I wanted to do. I called Judy on a Monday, and they had my license for me at VIR that Friday! I felt very lucky.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

It is a $$ thing !
Old 12-19-2007, 01:44 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

thanks guys good advice got it done!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tom!

I was in a similar place two years ago. This is what you should do and it is very simple. Turns out that your NASA license WILL be recognized by both PBOC and PCA.

First, get all of your medical info together as well as the results (if any) of your last few races. Read up on the PCA and PBOC guidlines for obtaining a license (pretty straight forward).

Second, contact Mark Reutenberg at PBOC and tell him you intentions to get a PBOC license. He will gladly take you through the process. Tell him Rich send you

Lastly, contact Susan Shire and do the same thing with PCA.

By the end of Winterfest, assuming you don't have any problems you should have a full license with PBOC. Same for PCA by the end of the 48 Hours. Just MAKE SURE you don't get a 13/13 and keep these first races super clean. My suggestion is not to get too excited about winning you class for either of these weekends. Just keep it clean and have fun and you should be a multi-license holder by the end of the PCA weekend. Good luck and I look forward to sharing the track with you during the races!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Yes. To anyone who has raced another club, but not PCA. PCA is VERY serious about their 13/13 program. Much more that other clubs IMHO (haven't raced BMWCCA). For me, that's what makes PCA fun and competitive. Just be warned...and enjoy!! People take care of your car just like you take care of theirs...well, hopefully.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
Hey Tom!

I was in a similar place two years ago. This is what you should do and it is very simple. Turns out that your NASA license WILL be recognized by both PBOC and PCA.

First, get all of your medical info together as well as the results (if any) of your last few races. Read up on the PCA and PBOC guidlines for obtaining a license (pretty straight forward).

Second, contact Mark Reutenberg at PBOC and tell him you intentions to get a PBOC license. He will gladly take you through the process. Tell him Rich send you

Lastly, contact Susan Shire and do the same thing with PCA.

By the end of Winterfest, assuming you don't have any problems you should have a full license with PBOC. Same for PCA by the end of the 48 Hours. Just MAKE SURE you don't get a 13/13 and keep these first races super clean. My suggestion is not to get too excited about winning you class for either of these weekends. Just keep it clean and have fun and you should be a multi-license holder by the end of the PCA weekend. Good luck and I look forward to sharing the track with you during the races!
Rich,

thanks, I have my 08 NASA comp license, proof of last 6 race results, and a fresh med eval form and EKG. I think I got it covered now!!!

see ya at Sebring I am racing at Winterfest and the 48 hour club race!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, which car and which class will you be racing in at Winterfest?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey Tom, now that you have all your licenses in order, cars sorted out, airtravel right to the track, pit crew, a guy to haul your car in a 18 wheeler maybe you can get Holly to be your unbrella girl, Lisa said she would help out too!

Quick Reply: What is the deal with race licenses??