Sponsored by:

new pca gt classes

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:06 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 97C2s911
I want to thank you all particularly Bruce Boeder for paying attention to our questions and responses . Initailly I wondered if there would be enough like minded people to challenge this decision . After listening to our discussion and appreciating how enjoyable pca is and must continue to be I now feel as there is a bit more of a direction for me,either continue on the weight loss program or simply add some weight and move a class .This decision being tempered by what other sanctioning bodies I want to race with . Receiving the reply from Bruce that this will be in place awhile has shown to me that this decision is in the best interest of gt classes and that is what ultimately works.
Scott Daiger GT3S

Look what Scott did today to his perfectly good car

Last edited by autosea; 01-06-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, you forgot 944 Turbo 16v cars.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 AM
97C2s911
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So much for a rational acceptance of the rules . Now what I need to know how is it possible to get 911 to 1800lbs
Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBailey
I think the really interesting thing to look at would be some of the engine combo's that might pop up and suddenly be advantageous.

I think we'll start seeing some destroked engines in the near future as people try to wring more hp/L out of their cars.

I also see a potential need cropping up for custom 944/968 cranks that solve the oiling and bearing issues that are known to exist.
We started seeing a few in gt3 and gt4 , the new rules will quite possibly have no big effect until later in 08 or 09 when mods are made to maximize the new rule changes.

Joe could you add a 2.1 L turbo 4 and or a 2.2L /6 cyl turbo to your chart for comparison sakes.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,
I did not put every combo of cars out there in my estimator. That would take me too long as there are too many engine size combos when you look at making non-standard engine displacements. Feel free to update the numbers yourself. Here is a link to the spreadsheet I used to generate the numbers.

http://members.rennlist.com/m758/PCA...Calculator.xls
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steward B.
With regard to cars running to the 1972 SCCA rules, we did have a rules proposal up for comment this year about adding a "vintage 911" class, which would have done just that, run as set up to 1972 SCCA rules.

To our surprise I believe we had two comments in favor of the new class.

PCA club racing currently has a lot of different classes. The rules committee didn't feel that the expression of interest by two racers for the new "vintage" class was sufficient to add another class. However, if there is more interest during this coming year, we will certainly look at adding another class.
Wow!! that really surprises me also. If you got comments from PCA members but not a "PCA racer" would their comments have merit? We have a large 911 vintage group in Texas. I'll push for more input cuz I'd love to run both without having to run in a GT class....
Old 12-19-2007, 12:59 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

With regard to cars running to the 1972 SCCA rules, we did have a rules proposal up for comment this year about adding a "vintage 911" class, which would have done just that, run as set up to 1972 SCCA rules.

To our surprise I believe we had two comments in favor of the new class.
Maybe something like a TOYO CUP class, piggybacking on that popular series' rules from the West coast, would work better? It seems like a fun class for almost any older 911 to run. I don't know that much about it but I like what I saw of the rules, maybe some of those guys will be interested in running with the PCA and try to get a class going.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Mike, in our rules change proposals for this year, in the Spec Class rules proposals, at 4:

"Create a new class based on 911 Cup rules from the Porsche Racing Club in California. Note: This is posted to determine racer interest in exploring this concept."

I'm not sure of the exact number of comments we received on that proposal but it was only a couple, at most. As with the "vintage 911 prepared to 72 SCCA GCR's", unless we get a groundswell of support for adding another class, we are unlikely to do so.

And in response to the question about whether we would take comments from PCA members who are not club racers, although we listen to non racers, as a practical matter, the program is run by and for licensed club racers and we mainly pay attention to those who are already racing in the program.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope that Santa puts a new cup car under each and every one of your trees, or at least some fresh tires.

Bruce
Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Merry Christmas to all. I hope that Santa puts a new cup car under each and every one of your trees, or at least some fresh tires.

Bruce
Merry Christmas to you as well, Bruce. I have just one question though. How can Santa bring me new Hoosiers when they cannot be exposed to temps below 32 degrees? Everyone knows that it gets pretty cold up at the North Pole. Maybe global warming?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:49 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

As with the "vintage 911 prepared to 72 SCCA GCR's", unless we get a groundswell of support for adding another class, we are unlikely to do so.

And in response to the question about whether we would take comments from PCA members who are not club racers, although we listen to non racers, as a practical matter, the program is run by and for licensed club racers and we mainly pay attention to those who are already racing in the program.
Bruce
Ummm, this is like inviting the new neighbors to dinner but saying if they have never been to your house you will not honor their RSVP. Currently there is very little incentive for someone that is running a vintage car to join PCA club racing. It’s not much fun running basically a stock car in a GT class just to get run over by true GT cars. You want me to pay for a license so that I can have a voice???? Sorry it will not happen. You need to listen to the PCA members who have vintage cars that they are currently racing. If you need to verify that they are racing just ask them to provide their vintage racing license number with their comments. Remember PCA racing was started by PCA members because there was an interest and that NONE of them had a PCA racing license.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BBailey
I think the really interesting thing to look at would be some of the engine combo's that might pop up and suddenly be advantageous.

I think we'll start seeing some destroked engines in the near future as people try to wring more hp/L out of their cars.

I also see a potential need cropping up for custom 944/968 cranks that solve the oiling and bearing issues that are known to exist.

I'm getting some brand new billet cranks built, right now. I'm going for a 2ltr 16v turbo.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Niiiice!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Niiiice!!!
unfortunately, I had to sell both my kidneys and now I can drink to forget about the bill..
Old 12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Come on now, a new crank isn't that expensive...We've done them for BMWs before
Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Come on now, a new crank isn't that expensive...We've done them for BMWs before
Ok, 1 liver,lol..