Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 NASA Rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That Looks to be the only change in the NASA CCR's for 2008. For those wanting to see it in print it is page 82 of the PDF file.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
HANS has also introduced a new "Vision Plus Advantage" kit with a sliding tether system to allow 100% mobility side to side - more than any other head & neck restraint on the market. Available in standard version only, Quick Disconnects to probably follow. Upgrade with a hans purchase is $15 additional, the Vision kit to upgrade your existing device is $75 and includes tethers, tether carriers and nut washers that need replaced on the posts in the helmet.
I've not really had a problem with this. I leave my (non-quick release) tethers disconnected until I'm on the hot grid and then attach them, which I can do easily by feel. I put a call into HMS Motorsports to see what Joe Marko thinks. He was out (hope to reach him on Wednesday), but the word from his staff is not to leap for this change. More to come, I'm sure.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

In the case of situations where you have to reenter the course, need to see the flaggers, and whatever else that may come up on course, the vision advantage tethers will be very useful.

I'm putting the new tethers on my HANS when they are released for that and other reasons.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
In the case of situations where you have to reenter the course, need to see the flaggers, and whatever else that may come up on course, the vision advantage tethers will be very useful.

I'm putting the new tethers on my HANS when they are released for that and other reasons.
new "vision" tethers, please elaborate?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

go to post #12.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

[QUOTE=Circuit Motorsports;4889849]In the case of situations where you have to reenter the course, need to see the flaggers, and whatever else that may come up on course, the vision advantage tethers will be very useful.
QUOTE]

^+1
You need your head on a swivel to guarantee a safe reentry, and that's impossible with the standard HANS tethers.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:45 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=APKhaos;4892078]
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
QUOTE]

^+1
You need your head on a swivel to guarantee a safe reentry, and that's impossible with the standard HANS tethers.
Yep,
Now I have learned to turn the entire car to see the flagger or traffic. Still I consider it a small price to pay. In a practice or qualifying session what is the rush to get back on track? Really there is none so you can putz around to find a place you can see. If during a race you go off bad enough to need to use the flaggers to get back on you would have been pretty far back anyway. You may just be better off taking a extra 5-6 seconds to clear your head and get back on track rather than trying storm back on to "make up ground".
Old 12-18-2007, 12:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

FYI -

The actual 2008.4 Rule Book (PDF) is now posted at the original URL given.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:44 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

[QUOTE=M758;4892104]
Originally Posted by APKhaos

Yep,
Now I have learned to turn the entire car to see the flagger or traffic. Still I consider it a small price to pay. In a practice or qualifying session what is the rush to get back on track? Really there is none so you can putz around to find a place you can see. If during a race you go off bad enough to need to use the flaggers to get back on you would have been pretty far back anyway. You may just be better off taking a extra 5-6 seconds to clear your head and get back on track rather than trying storm back on to "make up ground".
Agreed. The good news is that the new HANS tethers will alleviate this limitation. Besides, the only time it really matters is during a race, and then it REALLY matters.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Quite honestly, racers can choose whatever device is best for them."
Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

I guess NASA disagrees...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flying dog: Long been a fan. Having one right now, as a matter of fact. <salute>

Circuit Motorsports: You have a website?

I'm one up on y'all. I bought an R3 HNR a couple weeks ago. I think I managed to do it 5min before all the prices came down. Eat my dust.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger

Circuit Motorsports: You have a website?
It will be up and running in January. Just waiting to finalize a few accounts so it will have a good selection.

Quick Reply: 2008 NASA Rules