Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mosport or Road Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

If you've never driven off a ten story building, and turned right on the way down, try Road Atlanta.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, watching the MX-5 guys play bumper cars at Mosport should be a ton of fun to watch. Was it last year or the year before that one of the MX-5 guys ended up in the berm at the bottom of the downhill at LRP with his nose planted in the dirt and the car just sitting there hanging vertically after being soundly punted.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Kim's home track is Laguna, he drives off 30 story buildings regularly.

Kim, i'm sure you've already weighed track time, travel costs, the type of weekend, etc? I believe RA is with a vintage weekend, and Mosport is with Grand Am maybe?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Wow, watching the MX-5 guys play bumper cars at Mosport should be a ton of fun to watch. Was it last year or the year before that one of the MX-5 guys ended up in the berm at the bottom of the downhill at LRP with his nose planted in the dirt and the car just sitting there hanging vertically after being soundly punted.

That was 06. The driver was Brad Mcallister. Had the car back together for races later in the season as well. That was a heck of an off course.

Sitting here watching him start on the poll at Portland this year.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
If Kim's home track is Laguna, he drives off 30 story buildings regularly.
You're not over a 100 mph at the bottom of the Corkscrew.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
Kim, i'm sure you've already weighed track time, travel costs, the type of weekend, etc? I believe RA is with a vintage weekend, and Mosport is with Grand Am maybe?
Yeah, some have said it wasn't a good match with the vintage weekend at RA. Mosport isn't with GA...seems to be a mixed bag of muscle cars and formula cars with some touring car races...

Mike...the drop from the top of the Corkscrew goes all the way down to T10 and you're at a pretty good clip on entry to T10... Also T9 is far more interesting than the Corkscrew for the driver...due to sheer speed/pucker factor
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crackhead! I see you will still be "working" during your retirement.

I saw the Laguna MX5 race this weekend. I was impressed by that outside T10 pass. I was even more impressed Johnny O'Connell pronounced your name correctly!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
If you've never driven off a ten story building, and turned right on the way down, try Road Atlanta.
Mosport is the same, except the first apex is blind and maybe even faster
Old 12-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis K
Crackhead! I see you will still be "working" during your retirement.
Hey...I haven't raced yet...

Originally Posted by Dennis K
I was impressed by that outside T10 pass. I was even more impressed Johnny O'Connell pronounced your name correctly!
Actually he didn't..but maybe you don't know that... Also if you look at my avatar, that's the picture you took of the pass...note the car positions just before the first brake marker...hmmm...I could have sworn I was ahead by then...

I still want that Hard Charger award and the free gas!
Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Seems to me the time of year might factor in to your decision. It is blistering hot here in ATL in the summer. Spring, fall and most of the winter are very nice. Road Atlanta is a great track I'm sure you would enjoy.
The playmates will be wearing less in Atlanta.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Tough call, both are great tracks.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Kim;

I can't really tell you about RA. I've only driven it in a 3/4ton GMC HD pickup. Even then, coming down that hill is an eye opener.

What I can tell you is that you may not find another track that has the same subliminal flow as Mosport. Maybe Calabogie, but in a totally different way. Calabogie doesn't scare the beejesus out of you. Mosport does, or certainly can.

There is just something about the layout of the turns and the varying styles that is unlike any other course. Flat out high speed burners, can't see where the Hell you are going to, or where you'll end up, but you keep your foot in it anyway or you get dusted. Then sudden autocross as you crank the wheel left-right-left and back to flight again. Whatever it is, it is arguably the best flow you will ever find.

Was it Sir Jackie or Sterling that said Mosport was the best track in the world?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Mosport is the same, except the first apex is blind and maybe even faster
...not to mention that it's "off-camber", too.

Having raced at everyplace on the east coast from Homestead to Mt. Tremblant, it is my not so humble opinion that T2 at Mosport is the hairyest corner currently available in North American. It used to scare the crap out of the F1 guys more than any other corner outside Belgium. It still scares the crap out of me, and I'm normally too stupid to be scared. My favorite corner on earth.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey Kim;

I can't really tell you about RA. I've only driven it in a 3/4ton GMC HD pickup. Even then, coming down that hill is an eye opener.

What I can tell you is that you may not find another track that has the same subliminal flow as Mosport. Maybe Calabogie, but in a totally different way. Calabogie doesn't scare the beejesus out of you. Mosport does, or certainly can.

There is just something about the layout of the turns and the varying styles that is unlike any other course. Flat out high speed burners, can't see where the Hell you are going to, or where you'll end up, but you keep your foot in it anyway or you get dusted. Then sudden autocross as you crank the wheel left-right-left and back to flight again. Whatever it is, it is arguably the best flow you will ever find.

Was it Sir Jackie or Sterling that said Mosport was the best track in the world?
Not sure which, but I believe it was David Hobbs said it is the last "unmolested" driver's track in North America, and his favorite.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
+10

Haven't been to Mosport, but I was assured that 12 at Atlanta was as wild as it got... Damnit!!! I better put Mosport on the list...

Quick Reply: Mosport or Road Atlanta?