Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the mechanically knowledgeble drivers have an advantage.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:08 PM
tyro
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Ignorance is bliss!

Actually it goes both ways. When you have a little knowledge and not a lot of it on the particular car your driving, it's dangerous. For instance, the car is making an odd sound. Is it a spun #2 bearing ... or the wiper banging against the glass? (It was a spun bearing). Or do you randomly start panicking about something you read on the internet?

Alternately, now that I have fixed damn near everything on both my cars, I feel pretty confident when driving them hard. That noise I hear in the door....well that's the bolt I dropped fixing the door latch two years ago and never seem to find the time to fish out.

Knowing the mechanics will not make you any quicker, it might even make you slower if you know that you are the one that has to burn a weekend fixing it instead of handing it an the Mastercard to someone else.
I most certainly concur.

In my opinion, knowing about the mechanical bits only makes one think more about the car/engine/brakes/tires instead of just driving it.

That said, I do most of my own work. It can be frustrating because I can get to splitting hairs - I think too much about it - is that bolt tight, is this measurement proper, and so on.

If I were given car to drive, and didn't have to work on it, or support it's maintenance - I'd drive the **** out of it..wouldn't most anyone do the same?

In any case, I think you should know about maintenance and repair if just to know what is wrong or needs setting up - but if you have enough money to pay someone else that you trust to turn a wrench, who cares?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Paolo, the way your car is set up may not be ideal for your driving style. You can't assume that it is set up correctly for you just because Ronnie is a great driver and had the car set to his style. For example, I found that the more I used trailbraking, the more I needed to experiment with sway bar settings. You need to be able to move some things around and experiment based on how you're driving or how your driving style changes as you get more seat time/knowledge. Unless you have trackside support, it's on you. You need to be able to make changes, go out and drive, analyze the results then go out and do it again. In that way, others who can do this have an advantage over you.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

Bull by the looks of "other forums" I don't have very many friends, besides Gary, that will show me how to.... and BTW I have the front desk lady handling the billing, therefore I have lots of time to hang out on RL.......
Really Doc??? Well, that would indicate a different problem then wouldn't it? I would stay on good terms with Gary!

Learn about your car....what else are you doing with it this winter????
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

And I don't drink beer and i'm well known as a wine snob....
Old 12-09-2007, 08:10 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

Some enjoy handling the mechanical issues of their cars - I don't. I'm sure there are drivers that are expert mechanics and can't drive very well, some that do both exceptionally well, and then some that can't change a tire, but are extremely quick on the track.

Those that can drive fast but can't change a tire must benefit from the reduced weight of having left their ***** at home.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those that can drive fast but can't change a tire must benefit from the reduced weight of having left their ***** at home.
You must be talking about F1 drivers that show up and set track records
Old 12-09-2007, 09:39 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks for all your responses so far.....

I do agree I need to learn the basics Eddie listed, but how?

Are there video that show the process......does PCA have tech sessions to show these
procedures to newbies........how did you learn it?

Do you think that by just reading a book I would feel comfortable changing my own brake pads and brake fluids? What if I screw it up, the consequences on the track would be disastrous........

I guess I fear myself more as a mechanic than as a driver......

Anyway, please give me some ideas of how I can learn to do the basics by the "hands on" approach......

I wish there was a course I could take for that, and I am sure I would not be the only one that would pay a reasonable fee to learn from someone who can teach the "mechanics 101" course.......

Any volunteers?.......
Come to Sterling, pull up a chair and I'll show you what you need to know. We can practice on my cab.
If a dope like me can learn how, you're all set (heck, you can already do teeth; they're way tougher, I would think).
If it wasn't for DE, I would never have learned how to do these routine maintenance tasks. With the amount of time you (and I) spend at the track with our older cars, you need to know how to take care of them.
Original question about mechanical knowledge making you a better driver? It will make you a safer driver, that's for sure.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Paolo, the way your car is set up may not be ideal for your driving style. You can't assume that it is set up correctly for you just because Ronnie is a great driver and had the car set to his style. For example, I found that the more I used trailbraking, the more I needed to experiment with sway bar settings. You need to be able to move some things around and experiment based on how you're driving or how your driving style changes as you get more seat time/knowledge. Unless you have trackside support, it's on you. You need to be able to make changes, go out and drive, analyze the results then go out and do it again. In that way, others who can do this have an advantage over you.
Sean, Ronnie spent a lot of time having the car just set right and achieved great successes with it. Now, I wish one day I could be half the driver that Ronnie is, but the car feels great to me now (and to the instructors that have ridden with me) why would I start messing with its settings?
I would rather learn and adapt to drive a proven well set up car, than start experimenting based on my driving style......

Am I making sense?....... I guess I need to spend more time with Ron S., and try to to learn his "winning" style of driving......
Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, between the hands on lessons graciously offered by my track buddies Gary and Rick,

the reading of some of the books, the on track coaching by people like Ron S., Bob R., JimmyLew and other senior instructors that have helped me immensely so far.....

I think I will be ready for a great new season in '08........

Thanks for all your inputs...... see you at the track.........
Old 12-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

surprised nobody has mentioned Mark Donohue.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paolo, you benefit from having a car that is well setup, and so have a solid platform on which to learn. There are many out there who are struggling with learning how to drive on a car that has handling issues. That makes it doubley difficult.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'd leave the car as it is. If you feel that you need to fiddle with it, be obsessive about recording the alignment settings, shock settings (if applicable), sway bar settings, etc. so that you can return back to the original baseline. Every single time I start a track weekend, I record ambient air temp, tire type, tire pressures, nitrogen pressures, compression and rebound settings, etc. so that I can replicate the settings should I completely screw up the handling by dialing it to the edge of hell.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 AM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until recently, I've been one of those people who let the shop handle everything. When I was little, my father always used to tell me "you're not mechanically inclined" and, well, that's what I've always believed about myself. (Thanks Dad)

A couple of years ago, I realized that I _can_ turn a wrench, in the physical sense anyway. Heck, I have an engineering degree (albeit in electrical engineering) and I program computers for a living. So, I started doing the simple things: changing oil, swapping brake pads, etc. I've also tackled a lot of small DIY projects on my M3 with the help of the Bentley manual and the 101 Projects book. And, over time, I've been amassing a collection of basic tools, and have a "track toolkit" that I bring to the track.

Honestly, I still haven't progressed beyond the simple stuff yet. But, I've _read_ about the hard projects, and if I had to, I think I could jump in and do something more challenging, with some help at least. (Having said that, I think I need a new head gasket in my M3, but I'm going to farm that one out to a BMW specialty shop... ) Bottom line is: I'll never be a master mechanic, but I hope that I'll never be stranded at the track because I can't do a simple repair.

Anyway, I've gotten a lot of enjoyment and a real sense of accomplishment out of starting to do my own work. Has it made me a better driver? Maybe. From all of my reading, I've definitely learned quite a bit about car setup, but there's no substitute for seat time.

Finally, one of my life's goals is to restore a car from the ground up. I'm not sure if that will ever happen, but it's a goal...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:46 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Finally, one of my life's goals is to restore a car from the ground up. I'm not sure if that will ever happen, but it's a goal...
Well, if money is not an obstacle, with your attitude I'm sure you can do it. Here's to hoping you do.

Bro
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes but they brought their heavy wallet with them. Wallet trumps ***** for getting guys to work on your car while you focus on racing.

This man law **** it getting out of hand.

Quick Reply: Do the mechanically knowledgeble drivers have an advantage.......