Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the mechanically knowledgeble drivers have an advantage.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 02:15 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ignorance is bliss!

Actually it goes both ways. When you have a little knowledge and not a lot of it on the particular car your driving, it's dangerous. For instance, the car is making an odd sound. Is it a spun #2 bearing ... or the wiper banging against the glass? (It was a spun bearing). Or do you randomly start panicking about something you read on the internet?

Alternately, now that I have fixed damn near everything on both my cars, I feel pretty confident when driving them hard. That noise I hear in the door....well that's the bolt I dropped fixing the door latch two years ago and never seem to find the time to fish out.

Knowing the mechanics will not make you any quicker, it might even make you slower if you know that you are the one that has to burn a weekend fixing it instead of handing it an the Mastercard to someone else.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Yes. Because you will understand what it takes to go faster.

Bro
Great!....there is still hope for me.......

Anyone think differently? Can someone be just as fast and just depend on the support team? (i.e. Ferrari Challenge drivers)
Old 12-09-2007, 02:33 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Knowing the mechanics will not make you any quicker, it might even make you slower if you know that you are the one that has to burn a weekend fixing it instead of handing it an the Mastercard to someone else.
yeah, but that doesn't mean he has to wrench on it. He can still whip out the plastic.

BTW, great sig pic with the flashing lights.

Bro
Old 12-09-2007, 02:35 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Great!....there is still hope for me.......

Anyone think differently? Can someone be just as fast and just depend on the support team? (i.e. Ferrari Challenge drivers)
My guess is that all or pretty darn close to all of the drivers that have support teams are mechanically savvy as they have to communicate what is going on with the car to the mechanics in an efficient manner.

Bro
Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you hire out the work, it helps to intimately know your car and understand the principles behind its mechanical systems so you can communicate more effectively with your mechanic about what the car is doing or not doing well and better understanding the options he is presenting to you to correct it. I guess that has been said in different ways above in previous posts...
Old 12-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to communicating concisely to your wrench/team, it is also an advantage if you understand the mechanics of your car when you get into racing. During a race, you need to drive with what the car gives you at that time. Understanding the dynamics of your suspension, throttle response, braking system, etc. will allow you to consider ways to minimize the problems and do the most with what you have at hand by adjusting your driving style.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

To play the devil's advocate......

What about those extremely fast guys that know nothing about mechanics?......
Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you've arrived at the answer you wanted to hear.

You sure have been in the Phoenix airport for a long time.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two words....Cole Trickle

Seriously though, I think it depends on the person. Some people need to know the tech side to be fast while others don't. I don't think you can categorically say that if a really fast driver who doesn't know tech learned tech that they would become even faster.

I don't think I am any faster because I built my car myself. In fact, it probably makes me slower because I know what's in store for me if I wreck, misshift, etc.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When you say 'know nothing about mechanics,' are you saying...

They aren't good at turning wrenches

>or<

They don't understand the mechanical aspects of the car

If you are talking about the first, that's not necessarily something to worry about. Some things are really easy after you do it once. However if you are talking about a driver who doesn't understand the mechanics of the car that's a whole different story.

I've yet to meet an extremely fast driver who was baffled by the mechanics of the car.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Steve, I finally got home this morning.....

But it is not about me or what I want to hear, it is about facts......

Chrisp
, you are so diplomatic, you should run for President......
Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
When you say 'know nothing about mechanics,' are you saying...

They aren't good at turning wrenches

>or<

They don't understand the mechanical aspects of the car

If you are talking about the first, that's not necessarily something to worry about. Some things are really easy after you do it once. However if you are talking about a driver who doesn't understand the mechanics of the car that's a whole different story.

I've yet to meet an extremely fast driver who was baffled by the mechanics of the car.
Joe, I was referring about the complete mechanically clueless (like myself) driver, the one not good at turning wrenches and not understanding the mechanical aspects of the car.....

Thanks for your insight......
Old 12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I'm sure it's been said already but +1 for the simple advantage that you can do some of the work yourself, and have a better understanding for the work that needs to be done when you hire the work out. To me, more work done myself means more money for rubber and petrol, which means more seat time, which means better driver. But that's indirect.

But as for mechanical knowledge having a direct effect on driving skill, not really. You just need a way to communicate what's going on to the guy that is working on it. Of course, you can just let the hired help drive the car and if they are good, they'll know how to tune it.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe, I was referring about the complete mechanically clueless (like myself) driver, the one not good at turning wrenches and not understanding the mechanical aspects of the car.....

Thanks for your insight......
What most have been telling you is that there are two aspects to the mechanics of the car; 1) Repairing or doing the actual work and 2) Understanding what the car is doing.

I don't think you will find a fast driver who is not good at #2. IMO, if you do not master this, then you will never be consistently fast.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:00 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Good question Paolo,

I don't think you need to know much about mechanics to make your car go faster, you just need to know how to describe the "problems" you have with the car relative to reaching it's limit. For example, at some point you realize the car is plowing and then describe to your mechanic "Hey, the car is understeering and I'd like to minimize or eliminate that in order to gain control and time". Then leave it to the expert to make the adjustments tailored to your exact car configuration, driving style, etc. I have a basic understanding of all of the systems on my car and leave it up to places like Farnbacher Loles to adjust properly.

I swap out pads - that's about it. Anything more than that, I let the shop take care of. Could I do more? Certainly (ie: Bleed brakes). But I enjoy focusing more on the driving aspect - fine tuning driving style, becoming totally adept at smooth transitions and inputs, understanding the pros / cons of various methods, and experimenting with different mechanical options (various pads, tires, pressures, etc.).

Some enjoy handling the mechanical issues of their cars - I don't. I'm sure there are drivers that are expert mechanics and can't drive very well, some that do both exceptionally well, and then some that can't change a tire, but are extremely quick on the track.

Ignorance can be bliss

Quick Reply: Do the mechanically knowledgeble drivers have an advantage.......