Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Max Mosley's at it again....

Why does Mad Max seem intent on killing F1 and making it the 'open wheel NA$CAR world series'.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/41984/
Old 12-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

next he'll be mandating all F1 teams to switch to the spec Panoz chassis they're using in Champ Car...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

What a bunch of bahooey... He's really pushing us fans away.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me crazy, but I think that makes perfect sense. It's not like he cut them off; they still get 40 hrs/wk. 24/7 is ridiculous.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:37 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

How does the limiting of wind tunnel time drive fans away?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is coming from some of the big budget teams. They (Toyota, Honda, etc) are spending gobs of cash and getting little to no return on it.

I like it.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I like F1 to be the pinnacle of racing and development not a spec series (which is where they are driving it). That's my point.

If I want spec, I have Cart. IRL, A1, ........

Originally Posted by chrisp
How does the limiting of wind tunnel time drive fans away?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is coming from some of the big budget teams. They (Toyota, Honda, etc) are spending gobs of cash and getting little to no return on it.

I like it.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM
jbolt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pointless..

Max is intent on reducing spending but fails to realize that the big budgeted teams will always find a way to spend money. If the rules limit the amount of aero personnel allowed, the team with the biggest budget will hire the best people away from the rest and still have an advantage.
And what about (for instance Renault) setting up another company - like Bernie loves to do with his Topco companies - to contract out the aero work to? Will that be outside the monitoring process?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I agree in theory but I think there's a lot of room to play with between "no holds barred" and Champ Car.

I am a huge fan of technology but I prefer that the results are a product of driver and team talent as opposed to the size of a budget or certain technology.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

From the article...

"...Maximum test section wind speed 50m/sec....."

If I did my math right that's only 111 MPH. Hardly fast enough to get excited about.

He's nuts!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think limiting wind tunnel time will really hurt things from a casual fans perspective but this- along with spec ECUs, a 10 year engine freeze, customer chassis, etc - is just another example of the dumbing down of F1. Not to mention the killing of one of the UK's most vibrant industries, just ask all of the unemployed Cosworth engineers.

Do you really think teams will spend less money overall? The wind tunnel and CFD budget will just go into other areas of the car. Ironically Max has talked about F1 supporting relavent automotive technology, then he puts limits on CFD programs. Look at Nascar, they have one of the tightest rulebooks on the planet yet they can always find things to spend more money on. Maybe Max should limit the millions of dollars these teams are spending on mobile media centers instead?

F1 markets itself as the "pinacle of motorsport" yet it is moving more and more towards to becoming just another openwheel spec series. There are plenty of other racing series where teams on a small budget can go.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Coming next week.....

All CFD computers will be Apple, no more than 1GB memory, 17" screens or smaller, can only be run as long as the battery lasts, no A/C charges while running.

Additionally, electronic calculators are expressly banned, slide rules may be used in place of pencil and paper, but only after the slide rule is homologated and frozen for a 100 year period.

Drivers will be required to exit the vehicle at pit stops, insert his FOM credit card at the Intertechnique fuel rig (personal debit cards can only be used with FIA approved PIN numbers, based on constructor's points). The driver can not exit the pits until he has walked up to the attendant and gotten his receipt. Failure to turn in receipts at the end of the race is grounds for disqualification.

The FIA will establish a Formula One Food Commission, who will personally taste test all food supplied by the teams at the track. There is NO limit to the number of chefs a team may employ. Any team failing to receive a 4 star Michelin rating will be banned from the next race and face a 10 grid spot penalty upon return.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Memo to Max and Bernie

Left or Right knee...your choice

Old 12-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Benton
Drifting

! Now that's funny.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just may give up on F1.
All these efforts to "control costs" and nothing to improve the racing. The problem these days in F1 is a simple race is rather dull and boring. Not alot happens if you just watcht the race from when the lights go out to the checker. If you watch and follow F1 you soon realize that the race is really end of week or two week long progression of activities that started right at the end of the prior race. The teams test and develop the car in an effort that finally leads to a race. The entire season is much the same as the teams work to develop the car and the keep it at the front. That is what is unique about F1 and for me makes the it interesting. I would say in 85% of all non-rain races the top 3 were decided 5-10laps into the race. If you take away all the development then all you are left with is dull races in cars that never seem to change. Guys really if one weekend "your team" get smoked you hope that in between races the team can "find something". The more the limit development the less that team just a little off the pace will never catch up.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they would have implemented these controls instead of the tire and engine rules.

IMHO, these new controls have less impact on the actual day to day racing and more impact on the cost cutting and the chance of keeping an even playing feild for underfunded teams.

My mileage varies,
Patrick

Quick Reply: Max Mosley's at it again....