Sponsored by:

Hitler's Managers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Interesting question this brings up (and this thread is quickly headed to Off Topic-type discussion)...
Jupe,

You is right. Let's get to some of the interesting, albeit lesser known, of Dr. Porsche's machines/inventions.

Who wants to start? Schimmwagen, anyone??
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Dr. Porsche's plan and dream was to build cars. He didn't plan to eradicate the Jews or take over the world. He just wanted to build cars. So for that reason alone, I forgive him for being German, and while I'm at it, I also forgive BMW for making motorcycles.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty please,
Some admin move this to the Off-Topic forum before the topic turns sour.
It has nothing to do with Racing & Driver education.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
. . . while I'm at it, I also forgive BMW for making motorcycles.
Well, they make one helluva motorcycle, no? (Not, a bike guy, just asking).
Old 12-07-2007, 04:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amaist
Enemy at the Gates was a Hollywood version of the eastern front. Just like Ben Afleck did not win WWII for the USA the suicidal tactics of the Red Army did not really exist.....
Obviously. As any movie is. But the Soviet Union lost over 23 million total people to WWII (soldiers & civilians). By comparison, Germany lost 7.5 million total. In terms of just military deaths, the Soviet Union lost 10.7 million to Germany's 5.5 million. I think the numbers of Soviet soldiers killed speak volumes about the mortality rate in the Soviet army fighting the Germans. While they might not be called suicide tactics, I would certainly say that life expectancy was much lower and I also think its well documented that the Red Army was poorly equipped (at least until the later stages of the war as Germany was collapsing and the Soviets were on the offensive).
Originally Posted by amaist
You should ask the Chinese about what they think of Japanese during WWII.
Yes, I personally know some Chinese who have very strong feelings to this day. And many other Asian nations were brutalized by the Imperial Military. Indonesia lost 4 million civilians. French Indo-China (Vietnam) lost 1 million civilians to the Japanese war machine. China lost 16.2 million civilians. In total, China lost the 2nd highest number (20 million) of people to WWII . Given that a staggering 16.2 million of that 20 million were civilians, China lost more civilians by far than any other nation in WWII, including the Soviet Union (11.9 million civilians dead). Hence my statement about the magnetude of Imperial Japan's WWII attrocities. Again, it never got as much press as **** Germany's. I'm not trying to say one was greater than the other or reduce the significance of **** attrocities in any way. They were both horrible, and at that scale of slaughter, comparisons almost become meaningless. It overwhelms the mind to think of more than 72 million people dead.

Bottom line is, war is never good. Some in history have argued its necessity at a given point in time. But the price in human misery is more than most can bear to pay.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richard glickel.
Well, they make one helluva motorcycle, no? (Not, a bike guy, just asking).
Yes, they do make one hell of a motorcycle. Arguably one of the best. I decided to buy a Harley, but if were the hardcore touring type, a beemer would probably be the next best thing to a Porsche motorcycle.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Yes, they do make one hell of a motorcycle. Arguably one of the best. I decided to buy a Harley, but if were the hardcore touring type, a beemer would probably be the next best thing to a Porsche motorcycle.
Ain't this a Porsche motorcycle?
Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

No, George, everyone on both sides of the M/D was American. And, of course, everyone on both sides was "right".
Yes, but you get my point.

And, there are still some folks today who won't cross the M-D line....
Old 12-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geo

If you want to see a funny movie, rent CSA. It is the story about what would have happened if the Confederates had won. Very politically incorrect, but a good movie, IMHO.

Also, there is some real estate in South Carolina (I believe) that has written into the deed that the property will not be sold to anyone named Sherman.

Bill
Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyderidol
Thank you, Spyderidol. That's a fascinating piece of history for anyone interested in the origins of the Porsche legacy. It says a lot about what Porsche is today.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:47 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pole position,

Of course my weapons knowledge is limited and I’m sure yours is limited too. I’m not looking to get involved into weapon discussion with you here. If you really like to learn about weapons and history, there is plenty of information. Unfortunately, you probably will not have a chance to speak with veterans who fought those Tigers in WWII. Well I did. Starting with my father who was an officer in anti tank artillery battalion and went through WWII…
Speaking of tanks, I wasn’t getting involved in technical aspects. I sad it was a heavy pig and was outperformed by lighter and more maneuverable… To make a comparison, I hope you will understand what I’m talking about ( this is a racing forum), it’s like to put a big powerful heavy Trans-Am car on short course against small open wheel formula … Besides a level of Soviet tank operators didn’t reach a level of Germans tank operators even when war was over.
I hope I made it clear for you.
Lipamax
P.S. I recommend you to read about AK-47, before you make a statement next time.

Tiger against T34 = one on one = game over T34. Period.

Tiger's 8.8 against T34 's strawgun = game over T34. Period.

All tanks of that time were easily molotoved. Whats your point ?

Yes the Tiger could be bogged down in muddy conditions because of their weight due to extreme armor for the time . That was the reason it could take on multiple opponents and swallow direct hits plus, well, the 8.8 which everyone feared for a reason. Conclusion : high survial rate for the operators.

Your weapons knowledge is very limited or shall I say, non existant, a AK 47 never is , was or will be a machinegun.>>
Old 12-08-2007, 02:09 AM
GUMBALL
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Keep in mind a good many people DID say no. Many fled. Many didn't and still said no and paid for their convictions with their lives.
Several of my father's relatives DID say no.....and disappeared.
My mother is Danish, and her father told stories of relatives being executed by the ***** for helping "Jews and others".....
Old 12-08-2007, 02:12 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Alot of people do alot of bad things the think is they right thing at the time. Hell, it's going on right now in the name of the "war on terror".
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Ain't this a Porsche motorcycle?
Yeah, kinda. The engine is mostly...
Old 12-08-2007, 03:37 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lipamax
Pole position,

Of course my weapons knowledge is limited and I’m sure yours is limited too. I’m not looking to get involved into weapon discussion with you here. If you really like to learn about weapons and history, there is plenty of information. Unfortunately, you probably will not have a chance to speak with veterans who fought those Tigers in WWII. Well I did. Starting with my father who was an officer in anti tank artillery battalion and went through WWII…
Speaking of tanks, I wasn’t getting involved in technical aspects. I sad it was a heavy pig and was outperformed by lighter and more maneuverable… To make a comparison, I hope you will understand what I’m talking about ( this is a racing forum), it’s like to put a big powerful heavy Trans-Am car on short course against small open wheel formula … Besides a level of Soviet tank operators didn’t reach a level of Germans tank operators even when war was over.
I hope I made it clear for you.
Lipamax
P.S. I recommend you to read about AK-47, before you make a statement next time.

Tiger against T34 = one on one = game over T34. Period.

Tiger's 8.8 against T34 's strawgun = game over T34. Period.

All tanks of that time were easily molotoved. Whats your point ?

Yes the Tiger could be bogged down in muddy conditions because of their weight due to extreme armor for the time . That was the reason it could take on multiple opponents and swallow direct hits plus, well, the 8.8 which everyone feared for a reason. Conclusion : high survial rate for the operators.

Your weapons knowledge is very limited or shall I say, non existant, a AK 47 never is , was or will be a machinegun.>>
As I addressed in the PM members of my family served on the Eastern front including Stalingrad. Highly decorated , earned in actual combat not HQ *** kissing, out of four only one came back. They were just young country hicks who never joined the NSDAP, could not care less about world domination or Master races but were drafted and pulverized during the war. Korea, Vietnam or Iraq were absolut child plays in comparison to the brutal fighting in the East. The battle of Kursk rings a bell ?

Here is a little weapon education for you,

First there is the submachinegun, originated in WW1 for the trench war fare, firing pistol cartridges like the current HK MP 5 or the german WW2 MP40 or the american .45 grease gun.

Then there is the assault rifle, like the AK47, a direct simplified copy of the german Sturmgewehr 44, or the M16/AR15.

Actual machineguns are the current M60, the WW2 MG 42 or the watercooled Browning.

Hope this helps .

Quick Reply: Hitler's Managers