Sponsored by:

Hitler's Managers

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
Thank you, Spyderidol. That's a fascinating piece of history for anyone interested in the origins of the Porsche legacy. It says a lot about what Porsche is today.
No problem Dan, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

An amusing (in a weird sort of way) little anecdote is the "Anti - French Volkswagen" movement led by Jean Pierre Peugeot!
It was probably on of the instigators for the arrest of Ferry Porsche at the time.(this is pure speculation on my part)
Years later Porsche and Peugeot would "disagree" on designation of the Porsche 901. Peugeot had registered all the 3 digit numbers with a zero in the middle. As a result Porsche was forced to change the Porsche 901 to Porsche 911.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pole Position

The grease gun was made in WWII not WWI. It was made of mostly stamped steel parts, except for the barrel and the moving stuff. It was made for tank crew members to use for personal protection.

The Thompson Sub-machine gun was made in the time period of WWI, though I am not sure it was used. It was a WWI idea, but may not have been made in time. I think the BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) was made during the same period, and was used til the 50's, when the M14 came out. The BAR is the rifle carried by Ben Afleck in Saving Ryan. It had a 20 round 30 cal magazine. It was fully automatic, and weighed 22 lbs. I fired one in about 56 or 57, and it was cool. It was hard to keep clean because it fires from an open bolt and dirt, water and mud gets in easily. By that I mean the BAR like the Thompson has the bolt back while you are carrying it. When you pull the trigger, the bolt goes forward, picks up a round, chambers it, fires it, then ejects it. That repeats till you release the trigger, when the bolt locks back, with the bullets and magazine exposed to grunk. The M14 superceded the M1, Carbine, Thompson, and BAR When I first went into the military, the squads had one Automatic Weapons guy, and he carried a M14 with the auto/semi select switch. The rest of the squad members carried the M14 that could only be fired semi-auto. The M16, and the M60 changed that in the early 60's.

Bill

Quick Reply: Hitler's Managers