Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lateral head restraint systems: right-side net vs. halo seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 11:24 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You wont have an issue with a halo seat, i also have a spec boxster. I particularly like the Racetech 4119 with the back brace. With the seat being so rigid, It really give you a lot of feedback. I'm 6' and 250 pounds and dont have any issue getting in our out.
The following users liked this post:
Maytag (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:56 AM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
I'm 6' and 250 pounds and dont have any issue getting in our out.
but how OLD are you? haha.

thank you for the reply. This is exactly what I was looking to hear from others.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:13 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 295 Likes on 187 Posts

I worried about limited visibility, ability to turn my head, etc. when I started using a HANS and a halo seat a bunch of years ago. Both felt a little funny at first, but seriously, by the time I pulled onto the track for my first session with them I'd already forgotten about them and it was fine.

Last edited by stownsen914; 02-01-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Better since the Hans tethers now slide through guides on the back of the unit instead of being firmly attached each to one side.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 09:02 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

53 years old, time has flown by
Old 02-02-2021, 09:38 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 645 Likes on 326 Posts

There's a lot that goes into chosing the right halo/containment seat. The height of the halo compared to your head and eye level is certainly a big factor. I would say we sell non-halo seats 3 to 1 over halo seats because of site line and egress concerns. If you sit close to the wheel, both can be very difficult.
Personally, we use non-halo seats in our race car. Nadine sits very far forward to the point that it's actually a bit difficult for her to get out as it is without sliding the seat back. She can, but its not easy. We test fit a halo seat once and with her, it would actually just about touch the A pillar roll bar, so zero chance of egress. I've driven a couple cars with halo seats where I couldn't see the side mirrors or what was next to me because the halo was right at my eye level.

The SAFEST solution is full halo PLUS center net. For neck injury concerns, its definitely the halo seat thats better. Its called a "containment" seat for a reason. But the trade off is the potential for egress and visibility issues, something you won't know unless you try it.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-02-2021, 06:48 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Maytag
All; Excuse me for resuscitating an old thread, but this seems the most appropriate place for my questions.

I've just jumped into the Spec Boxster world, with a very clean, prepped car. The current seat is a Halo seat that is too narrow for me, and expired anyway; so I'm shopping for a replacement.

I've got lots of HPDE experience, and many years of Superbike racing in my youth, so I'm no stranger to racing, But I've never spent any "real time" in a race car. I have some fears about feeling claustrophobic in the car, wearing a race suit, gloves, HAANS device, etc, but I'm sure I'll acclimate. But the HALO seat has me sort of quaking in my boots, haha. Climbing into and out of the car is pretty difficult for me right now, even in shorts without a helmet on. I'm sure there's a "trick" I'll get figured-out eventually, but part of the difficulty is clearly that halo protrusion on the existing seat. I think climbing into and out of this car would be MUCH more simple without that; which brings me to safety. If I can't get out of the car, how safe IS it?

Having read this thread, and countless other sources, I'm just as confused as I was at the beginning of my search. :sigh:
I'm hoping that with more years of use and experience with the Halo seats, and further refinement of the products, that perhaps there has formed a consensus on the matter?

So to put a fine point on it: IS a HALO seat more safe to a degree that makes it worth the additional difficulty of getting out of the car, and the lower visibility while racing? OR is there a balance between a Non-Halo seat and a right-side net that gets us a better balance?

Thanks in advance.
It's definitely a trade off. I'm only 5'6" and my containment seat (Sparco Pro Adv) is on sliders in my SPB. I can get out without sliding but it's very difficult and not fast. If the sliders get tweaked in a crash I'm going out the other side if possible but the safety of the seat makes it worth it for me. I feel much safer in the containment seat then I do in regular seats in our AER cars now. It also helps with neck strain on certain tracks.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:51 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

As with everything, a safety system is a sum of its parts, and you have to be comfortable with the risks you're taking. There are things we can do for safety, not everything works for everyone. Some things are no-brainers, they're often mandatory, like a Hans. Others are not as clear cut. No doubt a containment seat with a Hans and nets on either side are useful in a crash to keep your head from being bounced around. If it means you can't get out of the car, it's benefit becomes a lot more unclear. I am tall, my seat is way back, so I can get in and out without sliders, although I'm sure it would be quicker without the wings. To me, it's worth the extra protection.

As far as the other stuff goes, you get used to it pretty quickly, and it's not nearly as claustrophobic as an MRI scanner, say 😂

Quick Reply: Lateral head restraint systems: right-side net vs. halo seat