Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Lime Rock Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

LRP is a dump, now there is NO good reason to go there anymore. Can't wait for the New Jersey track, should be good.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding is that Thunderbolt is not going to be exactly cheap either.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I am willing to pay a higher price for a weekend event, since I can't do week days and LRP is very close to me. If it doesn't work, to hell with them. There are other (better) facilities nearby.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Look, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a dump on Lime Rock thread. I am interested in the value customers (you) put on track days at LRP. Until LRP announces their go/no go decision on the club, we can only make decisions based on what they have told us so far. This is the time of year that the clubs look at available options for renting tracks next year. Most contracts and deposits are in place by January.

To clarify, all PCA clubs that rent the track will be cut in half from 2007, this means that there were a total of 24 days in 2007 and there will be now 12 days in 2008. Last year there were PCA days on the weekend, in 2008 there will not be any weekends except for some potential exceptions (club race) and some options outside of the 12 days.

My question is: "if you cannot drive on the track on the weekend, how much value do you place in being able to drive on a weekend, and with the change will you be more likely to look for other alternatives?"
Old 11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

what if PCA told LRP that we're done?
They would move to the next organization in line waiting to rent the track, especially since all orgnaizations have had their days cut in half.

just pointing out that the club race will move from a weekend to midweek?
I have no affiliation with CVR, but I would doubt that they would move the club race to a week day and I believe they are working with LRP to continue the club race on the thurs-sat dates. CVR has more than 3 days, they are looking to reserve 3 days for the club race with the rest being DE.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Some random thoughts:
Well, I started my DE carrier at NHIS, and when I first went to LRP, thought it was paradise (that was 1999).
Out of a total of 30 or so track days per year, last year I went to LRP once (to try out the new track car) and this year, exactly none.
Its not that I don't like LRP, its that I love WGI, LCMT, and other long tracks.
That's from a guy that trailers everywhere and won't go a 1 day event because its not worth it.
BUT - we need local development tracks to lure new club members into this wonderful sport, and for drivers that don't have the option of traveling to multiday events. So, I would hate to blow off local smaller tracks like LRP and NHIS, even if they are not so easy to deal with or as well maintained.
As to cost - I recently instructed at an event that charges (sit down) $1300/day. Believe me, I am not that good of an instructor! Especially for infrequent drivers, the price is probably more elastic than we think.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:08 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

SCCA has only three races at LRP next year

The SCCA historic group I run with won't be included in any of them.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisp
I'm not saying we should boycott by any means but what if PCA told LRP that we're done? This would put a lot more pressure on their club model. If the club happens they will still come back looking for daily renters. If the club doesn't happen then they'll be in a bit of a predicament and won't have much negotiating power.

They made a commitment to the club. I am getting the feeling that they want their cake and eat it to.
I suspect that the problem with that logic is that Lime Rock won't have any problems filling in any dates vacated by PCA. Other car clubs (BMWCCA, Ferrari Club of America, Audi club), for-profit car clubs (Trackmasters, CarGuys, or whatever they call themselves these days) and Car manufacterers (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus...etc) will take up those dates quite quickly.

Believe it or not, Lime Rock is my favorite track in the North East. But what skipping and LRP management is doing to the track is sad. Ultimately, I suspect this is the beginning of the end for what once was a world-class racing venue...

-Z-man.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
SCCA has only three races at LRP next year

The SCCA historic group I run with won't be included in any of them.
mike, do you what are the dates are? thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
+1, Gary;

Tremblant.
Mosport (my favorite track)
Calabogie - Only one run there, but it might bump Mosport on my Favorites List.

...then there's WGI, Mid O, VIR, I'm all ready to try Summitt, especially now that it's been paved. Like I said, it's a big world!
Guys, not saying Tremblant and other CA tracks aren't worth towing to, just that I am personally not going to any standard format DE's that far away in the near future. Then again, my plan is not to go to many nearby standard format DE's next year at all..

I think Geoffrey's question is almost rhetorical. How many here would go to a weekday LRP event vs. a 2-3 day weekday or weekend event at WGI, Thunderbolt, etc. (for the same or less $$)? HAS to be an extremely small percentage.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have no affiliation with CVR, but I would doubt that they would move the club race to a week day and I believe they are working with LRP to continue the club race on the thurs-sat dates. CVR has more than 3 days, they are looking to reserve 3 days for the club race with the rest being DE.
The club race is only a 2 day event (Friday and Saturday). The Thursday date is an advanced DE held by CVR. Apparently that day is not a race date nor is it practice for racing.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Guys, not saying Tremblant and other CA tracks aren't worth towing to, just that I am personally not going to any standard format DE's that far away in the near future. Then again, my plan is not to go to many nearby standard format DE's next year at all..
Make up your mind would you?.........

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think Geoffrey's question is almost rhetorical. How many here would go to a weekday LRP event vs. a 2-3 day weekday or weekend event at WGI, Thunderbolt, etc. (for the same or less $$)? HAS to be an extremely small percentage.
I 100% agree with you on this one.....very small percentage......

RedlineMan I haven't been to Mosport yet, but Calabogie is by far my favorite track.....if it only were closer than 9 hours away.......
Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Apparently that day is not a race date nor is it practice for racing.
I was practicing behind behind Mike I... something I have perfected.

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
My question is: "if you cannot drive on the track on the weekend, how much value do you place in being able to drive on a weekend, and with the change will you be more likely to look for other alternatives?"
Hi Geoff:
My take:
I would think that weekend vs. week day would make a difference in whether drivers go to the track or not, but not so much of a difference as to which track we go to.
If you look at total attendance at LRP on weekday events compared with weekend events, you should get a good handle on how the new 'maybe fewer weekend days' will affect DE.
I doubt that the cost per day will sway a driver to or away from LRP vs. say WGI, as the other costs related to the away event (fuel, meals, lodging) will make up for higher registration fees. And, other costs (tires, etc.) make regsitration fees somewhat trivial (not meaning they are inconsequential, but in the larger picture, it gets lost in the total).
So - I would not expect moving to weekday only would cause drivers to go to a different track the same day(s), though it might if they can only drive on weekends (but then, travel to/from WGI will possibly keep them from going a all).
Hope this is responsive and helpful.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
tocho1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn....I wish I had a 100k to become a "Lime Rock Park Club" member....I think it's a great track!! Uphill, downhill, both amateurs (me!!!!!!!) and pros find it challenging, new pavement or not. I would hate to see LRP become a golf club or anything like that. Let's protect our racing heritage (somehow)?

Quick Reply: 2008 Lime Rock Discussion