Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Lime Rock Discussion

Old 11-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2008 Lime Rock Discussion

I'm starting this thread for the benefit of the people who organize track events at LRP to help gain an understanding of "customers" interests and desires.

Right now, we know very little, and much may change. Here is what the discussion is based on.

- 2008 track days have been cut in half from 24 to 12
- 3 days will likely be used for the club race
- Mon, Tue, Wed are the days the track will be rented
- slight increase in cost to rent the track for 2008
- some clubs may raise rates to keep the number low 80 people 4 run gps
- some clubs may pack as many people in as they can 120-130 5 run gps
- The entrant fee for one day at LRP is the same as 2 days at WGI and in the case of the Zone, you get 3 days for less than 1 day at LRP.

So, the discussion here is to gauge demand. One can take the position that the demand for a LRP track day will remain the same in 2008, but given the changes, I'm not so sure. I'm wondering if people will reconsider the cost and availability of dates at LRP and look for other alternatives, especially if the track days are on the weekends.

Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your "2008 track days number" represent the total number of days being offered to all PCA regions or just one?

Are you saying all club days will be mid-week or just pointing out that the club race will move from a weekend to midweek?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

After reading your post, WGI and Mt. Tremblant look definetly more attractive to me than LRP.

I wouldn't mind to drive a bit further for a better track, convenient schedules and reasonable cost.....
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Bull should chime in here. He has heard that there may actually be repaving.... However, the repaving will also change the layout of the course so that it is "dumbed down" and things like taking the downhill WOT will no longer be possible (or even thought to be possible).
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM
purplehaze.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with the speedy Dentist.

I plan to exercise alternate tracks much more, and likely skip LRP altogether.

That's actually insulting: 1 day at LRP = 2 at WGI. A far better, smoother track, with superior facilities (heated, relatively clean bathrooms, garages). It's a longer drive, but come on, we ARE a discerning group. We could be driving Fords!

G
Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
After reading your post, WGI and Mt. Tremblant look definetly more attractive to me than LRP.

I wouldn't mind to drive a bit further for a better track, convenient schedules and reasonable cost.....
Ha!

I had that realization a long time ago. Venture forth, my friends. It's a big world out there. In relative terms, it aint that great a track, or that big a loss.

Just my opinion...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I think all of this depends on the number of people who will sign up to be members of the Lime Rock Club.

If they don't get enough people (read: $$), then dare I say that all bets are off in terms of the number of days they plan to release to car clubs like PCA & BMWCCA.

That said, I think the management at LRP should chat with the management at VIR -- those guys seem to have figured out how to resurrect a dying (or dead) racetrack and bring it back to glory.

-Z-man.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I'd like to say I won't go to Limerock (other than the Club Race) but I most likely will support my region if my weekday schedule allows. I was told CVR had 3 days available for next year, sure hope that doesn't include their sponsoring of the CR! As for other tracks, Thunderbolt in NJ looks to be arriving just in time and more WGI days are always a good idea. I also want to hit Summit now that it's been repaved, really like that layout. The Canada tracks are great i'm sure, but towing that far for a regular DE isn't going to happen very often if at all. Weekend dates, in any case, will always win out with me.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Bull should chime in here. He has heard that there may actually be repaving.... However, the repaving will also change the layout of the course so that it is "dumbed down" and things like taking the downhill WOT will no longer be possible (or even thought to be possible).
In looking at the promotional "track day, lunch with Skip Barber and membership documents" offering (for a cost of $500) I was advised that "the track will be paved (no date) and amenities will be built". I was told that at the time of paving, drainage would be addressed, and the track would be changed in a few areas to make it "more safe", including eliminating the ability of some cars/drovers to take the downhill flat out. I was also told that they have 82 members of the initial 100 they need to release funding.

I passed on the $500 track day (can be applied toward your membership costs when you join), which they are running into mid-December!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
The Canada tracks are great i'm sure, but towing that far for a regular DE isn't going to happen very often if at all.
Talk to me after your first 3-day event at Mt. Tremblant......
I am sure you will have a bit different opinion......
Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been to LRP three times. It does not compare to WGI, VIR, MO, etc. Just about the only track in the area that LRP is better than is Pocono.
I will not go back to LRP until they repave it. I cannot believe they charge so much for a track in such crappy shape. Actually I can't believe that people still pay those prices when there are better alternatives cheaper!

-Scott
Old 11-20-2007, 02:02 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

I'm not saying we should boycott by any means but what if PCA told LRP that we're done? This would put a lot more pressure on their club model. If the club happens they will still come back looking for daily renters. If the club doesn't happen then they'll be in a bit of a predicament and won't have much negotiating power.

They made a commitment to the club. I am getting the feeling that they want their cake and eat it to.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Talk to me after your first 3-day event at Mt. Tremblant......
I am sure you will have a bit different opinion......
+1, Gary;

Tremblant.
Mosport (my favorite track)
Calabogie - Only one run there, but it might bump Mosport on my Favorites List.

...then there's WGI, Mid O, VIR, I'm all ready to try Summitt, especially now that it's been paved. Like I said, it's a big world!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Maybe LRP can become a developmental track. You need to graduate from LRP to do the others. All LRP DE's could become green, yellow, and red (need instructors on-site right?). All other tracks drop their green and yellow level run groups and become open track days.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

While I like the Thursday events at LRP in March and April as the tuneup events for the season, increasing the costs for early season events is nuts. We're not likely to participate at LRP in the future. I'm hoping that Millville becomes a much better alternative to LRP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Lime Rock Discussion