Sponsored by:

Winter Weight Loss Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Weight Loss Project

Since the season has all but ended for me, I thought I'd ask the group their wisdom on a winter project I have in mind...

In the pursuit of lightness, I'm going to remove the wiring I'm not using; including the old wiring harness...

Is there a distinct reason NOT to also simplify the ignition and merely have a push-button on/off as opposed to keeping the ignition switch/ key?

I've been told that there is a host of wires that go to the ignition key, in a stock car, and that this can be simplified by putting in a few toggle switches and a push-button start...Is this true?

I actually worry about leaving the car overnight in the garage, and somebody going over and starting the car, because it doesn't need a key to start it!

Jason
Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not going to be driving the car on the street and your storing the car for the winter, then just take the battery out.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:29 PM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

I meant leaving the car "in the garage" at the race track...Sorry I wasn't clear on that.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Take your battery cutoff switch key with you.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Im not sure about the key system, but folks get a little carried away with the lightening game. the key is a bullet proof way to start the car. i havent heard of too many issues with the push button conversions as there is a few of them. but, i wouldnt take the chance. plus, look at all the issues some of these custom dash's have. most of the guages dont work, you cant get an accurate RPM signal, no speed, etc. those 928 vdo gauges are very nice. replace them? for what, save 1 lb or something?

I remember removing all the wires over the wintertime 4 years ago. 2 months of tracing, cutting, etc and i ended up with a huge pile, but only 5 lbs! (and that was a lot of wire!) the only way to really loose a bunch of weight would be to removed the entire backplane wiring system and re-route only the stuff you need.

Im thinking a hole saw would be a more effective weigth loss idea! all that fender weight, chassis weight, etc???

MK
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
1Qk944turbo
Intermediate

I have a push button starter and no problems. I got rid of the key years ago. Then again my car weights 2460lbs wet. Thats with 27 gallons of fuel too! its still to heavy!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about that too but with my luck I'd forget one wire and not be able to trace the problem.

I'm removing the heater and assocaited junk this winter as well as replacing the bumper shocks with aluminum brackets...to name a few things...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:01 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

You can easily lose 50+ pounds of stock wiring you don't need. The fusebox alone is freakin brick. I'm going down this road, but I have SERIOUS doubts as to whether or not I will be successful when I go to wire it all back together. If I don't succeed I will go with an aftermarket engine management system ($$$), but not without a serious fight

As for security, you might consider a hidden switch somewhere, in series with your ignition switch or some other critical circuit that cannot simply be grounded to bypass in an easily accessible area.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:06 PM
timo944
Instructor

Be careful about legality. If you are in a stock class, removing wiriing for anything but options is not allowed.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed all my unnecessary wiring last winter. I was super careful pulling wires, but of course the car wouldn't start and it took me a week and a half to figure it out and get it running again. Something with the airbag/ignition/alarm inter-connections.

Anyway, not only does it remove weight, but it makes working on the car that much easier with all that unnecessary wiring out of the way. Plus, if you don't know how to read wiring diagrams when you start -- you will know how when you finish.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Judd

Is there a distinct reason NOT to also simplify the ignition and merely have a push-button on/off as opposed to keeping the ignition switch/ key?

I've been told that there is a host of wires that go to the ignition key, in a stock car, and that this can be simplified by putting in a few toggle switches and a push-button start...Is this true?

I actually worry about leaving the car overnight in the garage, and somebody going over and starting the car, because it doesn't need a key to start it!

Jason

My ignition switch was damaged (the wiring on back) while disabling the steering lock mechanism. A NASA requirement. Didn't figure this out till the car died at the track one morning. The resident 944Cup Crew Chief (john brown) suggested we just wire up some racing toggle switches instead. Walked over to OG Racing at Summit Point and picked up Longacre 4549 and 4542 switches. About a half hour later he was done. Just soldering three wires or so, pretty simple. The one switch is a ignition/start, the other provides power to accessories like the headlights, fan blower, windows etc.. Very simple to do and works perfect.

For security, lock the doors with the key and pull the kill switch. Could also put another toggle switch hidden anywhere in the circuit that would make it impossible to start too.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's up Jason

That car is FINE/PERFECT the way it is, just come to Sebring this Feb and leave it alone
Old 11-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

John,

Good advice...that's probably why I can't accept it!

Sebring doesn't look too good at the moment...never can tell, though!
Old 11-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

"Run and don't eat" I was once told !
Old 11-22-2007, 10:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Jason - somehow this seems the perfect topic for Thanksgiving.
Burp...

Quick Reply: Winter Weight Loss Project