Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What PCA/POC-legal roll cage do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts
Question What PCA/POC-legal roll cage do you recommend?

I'm planning to club race my 993 in stock class next season and I'm looking for a full cage. I've done a search and would like more input. Anyone have one for sale?

Last edited by Wilder; 11-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 729 Likes on 357 Posts

I'd recommend calling Stable Energies for a Safety Devices roll cage. I can say, unfortunately by experience twice, that they are very well built and fit extremely well into the car.

for a full cage, I would not buy a used one..you never know what it's been through. And if you don't like a "bolt in" cage, you can weld it in at the mounting pads. That's what's in my two race cars.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 11-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Bob, thanks for the input about buying used. Safety Devices is on my list as a PCA approved cage with a good reputation. I'm just hoping others will chime in with other suggestions as I'd like to have as many options an input as possible before I pull the trigger.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

You know what I have in my race car...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 AM
everyman
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also looking for a used full cage. Thanks and regards, david.oxley@trinitybiotech.com
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I would advise you to get a custom installation. I had mine done by John Hajny aka RedlineMan from Rennlist and apart from his disdain for racing and love for DE he built me a great cage.

One word of advice - build for the future, not for the now. Look at other series and see what kinds of things are being required and build to a higher standard. For example, go with door bars even if PCA/POC doesn't require it. PCA is slow to adopt more strict rules, but will likely make those changes over time and you may want to run a more restrictive series in the future.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:42 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what Sean said. I would go custom built, weld in, cup style & add Nascar door bars. This is NOT a place to save money & skimp
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Great suggestions guys. I agree with buying beyond requirements and not skimping. Door bars I think are a must as well as cross setup for the roof.

A friend of mine suggested to go with a reputable brand like Heigo since they have the R&D $$$ to test their equipment vs. custom built by a shop that can do what appears to be great work but likely don't have the resources to test their equipment. This makes a lot of sense to me but might make for interesting debate. Comments?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Louis,

If you can afford it, get a custom cage. The body-to-bar tolerances will be smaller and you will get exactly what you want. If you pick an experienced cage builder, I guarantee you that his work has been tested many times before. The big debate here on Rennlist about pyramid, X-door bars versus NASCAR-style door bars was put to rest for me when my builder said that the X bars sounded better in theory, but, in practice, the NASCAR bars provided less cockpit/driver intrusion based on his customers' crashes.

Go custom; you won't regret it.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Louis,

If you can afford it, get a custom cage. The body-to-bar tolerances will be smaller and you will get exactly what you want. If you pick an experienced cage builder, I guarantee you that his work has been tested many times before. The big debate here on Rennlist about pyramid, X-door bars versus NASCAR-style door bars was put to rest for me when my builder said that the X bars sounded better in theory but in practice the NASCAR bars provided less cockpit/driver intrusion, which is obviously the whole point.

Go custom; you won't regret it.
I think there's a reason why Porsche cup cars come from the factory with with x bars versus NASCAR door bars. Keep in mind that NASCAR bars are part of a system that now includes a lot of high density foam within the door and is designed to withstand the impact of a hit on a wall (flat surface).
Old 11-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

j/k, Sean.
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom also stiffens the car up a lot more -- safer & faster, it's a no-brainer...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also check rules for other groups that you may end up running with. NASA and SCCA rules may differ - for example, NASA requires that the diaganal brace on the main hoop must run from above the driver's head to the base of the main hoop. Some autopower/safety devices cages have their diagonal running to the base of the rear diagonal.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM
David K.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, The Safety Devices cage is not NASA Legal.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
FYI, The Safety Devices cage is not NASA Legal.
Because of the diagonals? or because of the single door bar?

+1 on all the more reason to get a custom cage by a well known builder. They will know the rules, and you won't have to live with any of the compromises of a bolt in. You can have the bars put where you want them - rather than in an easy to bolt-to location.

Quick Reply: What PCA/POC-legal roll cage do you recommend?