Sponsored by:

PCA DE Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 01:02 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Wail Tale
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys---I will give a PCA DE a try. So this was a Chin Motorsports event? I thought it was a "Duct Tape Motorsports" sponsored event---at least that's how the video started off.

I think the "duct tape motorsports" was a joke by the author of the video. That driving was a real mess. I usually post my spins, but only as a learning lesson for others - nobody is learning off my clean laps. They are too slow!!

PCA DE is great. When I first did it 3 years ago in my 911 I was scared to death and wasn't sure I would continue. I'm about to upgrade my track car's suspension.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:34 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

What a terrible driver. SHould be ashamed to post the video.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rabjohns
What a terrible driver. SHould be ashamed to post the video.
My thought was that he did so that we'd all feel better about our driving abilities. Worked for me.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:53 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That video is surely not from a PCA DE. If the date is correct, it should have been from the Chin event at VIR.

While I enjoyed the footage of the red CGT running around VIR (ooops... off in T1! ), that video was full of irresponsibility.

All driving events are not created equal. Some groups don't even fully staff all of the flag stations.

PCA puts on a good show. It is structured. It is controlled. You will learn how to drive in a safe environment. The PCA process is frustrating to some folks because it is a skill building process that takes time. Go through this process and you will be an excellent driver.

You will not see the irresponsibility displayed in the video at PCA events. In the top PCA groups, good drivers are driving fast as p*ss exploring the limits of car control while being respectful of one another's safety and well being.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:14 AM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The best part of the video was the the cool telemetry on the "duct tape motorsports"car....Does anybody know what that is and how much it costs..The driving was as entertaining as the "Three Stooges". If this is a Chin event his insurance rates must be very high..
Pete
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
The best part of the video was the the cool telemetry on the "duct tape motorsports"car....Does anybody know what that is and how much it costs..The driving was as entertaining as the "Three Stooges". If this is a Chin event his insurance rates must be very high..
Pete
I agree with all the other posters above. Having just instructed at VIR last weekend (in a non PCA event) I can tell you that what you see on this video is usually not tolerated by any other group even in the upper run classes.

BTW, the video is from a Traqmate/Traqvision setup (hopefully my Christmas present ).
Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, That software can overlay with most DAS systems out there: Traqmate, G2X, etc. BTW, looking at his best lap time, he is dangerous and slow. I espcially liked the lack of track vision into T1 with cars going off in front of him, then waiting until turn-in to do anything about it.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:11 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, Trackvision is the data linking software and is a company owned and run by two of Potomac's own, Tony Kelly and Greg Dupertus. I would give Tony a call. The software is made so you can mesh and overlay data from a data logger to you in car video.

Edit, early birds around here this a.m., Two other posts as I was typing
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a tip -- go to the next DE hosted by your local PCA chapter and observe. Maybe just an hour or two in the afternoon... Meet some of the organizers, introduce yourself as a PCA member interested in DE. Some chapters (ours) has what's called "Taste of the Track" where for a $25 donation you go out with an instructor for a 20-25 minute session to see what it's all about. The instructor typically goes out in a lower run group and takes it easier than usual. The goal is to talk with you and explain and show what happens in a DE. Also, go to a monthly PCA meeting to talk with people.

I've found that DE is just one facet of the whole PCA experience. Great people, great meetings / programs, etc. Our chapter has a DE Workshop at the end of winter -- another great way to meet people and learn about the sport.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:36 AM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by RonCT
I've found that DE is just one facet of the whole PCA experience. Great people, great meetings / programs, etc. Our chapter has a DE Workshop at the end of winter -- another great way to meet people and learn about the sport.
Yes. Some people come to DE events just to hang out. Most attendees are in a splendid mood all weekend.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:43 AM
soldmystang
Advanced

Originally Posted by VaSteve
I think the "duct tape motorsports" was a joke by the author of the video. That driving was a real mess. I usually post my spins, but only as a learning lesson for others - nobody is learning off my clean laps. They are too slow!!

PCA DE is great. When I first did it 3 years ago in my 911 I was scared to death and wasn't sure I would continue. I'm about to upgrade my track car's suspension.

don't know about the author but "duct tape racing" has t-shirts and decals on there cars to distinguish themselves. at the chin event there was a group of 5 or 6 with this livery. new jersey tags on the cars.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soldmystang
don't know about the author but "duct tape racing" has t-shirts and decals on there cars to distinguish themselves. at the chin event there was a group of 5 or 6 with this livery. new jersey tags on the cars.
Don't know of them, but found this:

www.dtmotorsports.com
Old 10-25-2007, 10:57 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soldmystang
new jersey tags on the cars.
That explains alot
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joel-cs
Link is in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...Porsche+owners

Or directly here: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...7800a098cb.htm

Holy bad driving. I heard it was a Chin event. If so, you won't find me near one anytime soon.
Sure didn't look typical of the Chin events that I instructed at. I wouldn't take this as representative.
Weird that it is from the Duct Tape club; the guys that I know there are good drivers.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:22 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I like how one guy totally botches the corner and is about to spin but catches it, then the instructor says "very good" and gives the thumbs up. hahaha. sad.

Quick Reply: PCA DE Question