Sponsored by:

Leda vs Advance Design shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
I think he said he was planning to race it, and only wants to buy shocks once.

Having taken the half-fast route, I can agree that it's ONLY a waste of time and money to buy equipment that's not up to the ultimate you plan to throw at it.

On-topic, I love my Bilsteins, they're absurdly durable (touching on lap record speeds after 6 whole seasons of racing, without service!) and almost as cheap as the street shocks (Konis or Bilsteins)... of course, they are not adjustable - have to be revalved by Bilstein. I also don't know what fitment options there are for the 928.
Which bilsteins do you have?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
why bother trying to turn the 928 into a track beast, its a great street car,
Because if an individual has another car for the street, and will depend on the 928 ONLY as a track car, its base structure, suspension, etc are VERy robust - to the point of being over built. That makes it heavier than most, but built for very tough use.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Because if an individual has another car for the street, and will depend on the 928 ONLY as a track car, its base structure, suspension, etc are VERy robust - to the point of being over built. That makes it heavier than most, but built for very tough use.
and all that overbuilding makes it a lousy race car. As i said, its a great Gran Tourismo, it can run at over 150mph for hour after hour. The record for driving from Paris to Stuttgart was set in one of these.

mucking around with a 928 for the track will result in a car that is less pleasant on the street and still an overweight dog on the track. Many of Porsche's racing greats and management have had 928s because they are such a great street car. Some of them are stiull in use by their original owners.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 10-21-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:59 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

and all that overbuilding makes it a lousy race car. As i said, its a great Gran Tourismo, it can run at over 250mph for hour after hour. The record for driving from Paris to Stuttgart was set in one of these.

mucking around with a 928 for the track will result in a car that is less pleasant on the street and still an overweight dog on the track. Many of Porsche's racing greats and management have had 928s because they are such a great street car. Some of them are stiull in use by their original owners.

R+C
For an amature racing experience, many including me do not wish to deal on the other end of the spectrum - built to within a nano of being too light and weak. An overbuilt race car may be heavier, but its not constantly having normal pieces replaced. A good example of this came up on the Cup forum. People were espousing on their issues with half shafts on thier cup cars. 400 or so HP, right? Hopping over corners - understandable I guess - but the two 500hp 2700 pound 928s I know doing these same tracks and racing hard have had their half shafts for years. The rear bearing is huge.

And I am talking about a totally uncompromising 928 for the track. Not somewhere in the middle. That type of 928 is winning against GT3 cups, or at least is in the upper end running.

I'm not here to convince you, I am just not sure if you were aware of what some west coat 928s were doing in thier respective races.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:23 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R+C
For Supercup my 928 Euro has to run 50 lbs over a 951Turbo S and has (according to Porsche) 310hp vs 247hp.

Can we get back to the shock discussion?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:34 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
Russ, JIC looks interesting, although the threaded heim joint for height adjustment worries me. Do you have experience with them?
Lots of posts regarding JIC/Cross, you might do a search. I am very happy with mine, excellent build quality, and great performance. None of the issues associated with Leda.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LEDA's on my car and am very happy after a year and a half.
I know many who have them and feel similarly. Just got some stiffer springs to put on over the winter.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't heard any negative feedback on Ledas.

I would seek out John Hajny at RedlineRennsport or Karl Poetl at Racers Edge. They are both expert at racecar suspensions and Leda applications.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When thinking about Konis, totally forget the road car dampers (both the red and the yellows) as they are just performance street products and not suitable for racing. What you need to be looking at is Koni's race dampers. I can't remember if the 928 has struts, but if so, you want to be looking at the 8611 race insert. It's a twin-tube hydraulic, double adjustable damper. It's not cutting edge, but it's a proven product. You will likely need to call Koni and tell them your application and expected wheel rates and have them custom valved. That's what several of my friends have done after fooling with AD and even off-the-shelf Konis.

If you have regular dampers (not struts), you'll want to look at the 82XX series (twiin-tube hydraulic double adjustable) or the 30XX series (high pressure mono-tube double adjustable). With these race dampers, they come off-the-shelf in a WIDE range of valving and you should not have any trouble getting what you need.

The Koni race dampers are a huge improvement over street performance products.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

928s are coilovers front and rear. The Koni 3012s look interesting. I missed those when looking at 28xx series. Pricing appears to be similar to Leda but the company will undoubtedly be around for a long time.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Mike Simard
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Matt, I'm wondering if you may need to look outside the box here. Both the front and rear bottom shock mounts can be made to work with Heim joints. The top could too with a plate welded or bolted to the car with something on it to accept the race shock tops. I have seen it done with the rear of that blue 928 race car that was for sale.
Here's what shock mounts welded to the arms look like. It is a great way to have a proper spherical bearing mounted shock but it really snowballs as a project. Once you take the shock out of that stack of rubber stuff that makes up the upright's pivot point, you'll want to extend the upright into that area where the shock used to be so you can have a greater distance between the mounting points. There's alot of potential there for rigidity improvement but it can become alot of custom work.
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

I emailed Koni about the 3012 and received a response very quickly. They recommended the 8212 due to the ability to adjust compression/bump without removing the shock. The 8212 is a twin-tube (like Leda) vs the 3012 monotube (like AD). For a 3300lb ~300hp car, should I really worry about shock fade with twin-tube dampers? I have never had adjustable shocks before, how often will I really be adjusting compression/bump?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Geo
Race Director

While I cannot answer your question about fade from experience, I think the mass of the car is less an issue than getting the valving correct.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You can find the Koni 8212 at Jegs in several comp./ext. lengths for $429 ea.

T
Old 10-22-2007, 09:05 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I have had issues with shock fade on a 2600#, 110hp car. You do the math. You planning on autocrossing, or road-racing??? I'd definitely go with the monotubes. I did, in fact!

I'm running Bilstein Motorsport shocks in the rear - 46mm circle track shocks, to be exact - and old 933 (924 D Production) race struts up front, originally from Bilstein by way of Porsche (old factory race parts).

Quick Reply: Leda vs Advance Design shocks