Sponsored by:

The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brian, Hopefully we will be back out together this winter...perhaps Road Atlanta, When are you coming north? Summit Point is a fun place. Schattenbaum makes a GREAT Event!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming North hopefully when I can change my truck out for a Diesel. My V10 excursion would have a harder time through the mountains than a diesel so maybe once I get a diesel truck I can go North

Good to see you!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

My student sent me on one of the wildest rides on Saturday afternoon that I've ever been on...

He had been gaining speed on the front straight and I had been telling him that its OK to go that fast, as long as you are steady on the wheel, and as long as you DON'T lift through the kink.

Well, we're flying out of hogpen, coming up to the kink, and he decides he should be over a little further to the right, and gives it a quick little right hand snap with the wheel. I'm almost certain that when I saw his hands move out of the corner of my eye that I said "Oh S*(T" - and immediately the car's rear snapped to the left. Then it snapped back to the right and we went right by the guardrail that is next to the tree right at the kink.

When proceeded to start a series of 2 counter-clockwise spins, most of which happened off track.

As the car slowed its spin rate on the second spin, I could see that our trajectory was straight toward the corner station that is out in the field to the left of the straight. Our spin slowed to the point that we were facing backward at a pretty high rate of speed heading right toward the corner station.

I braced for impact, wondering what a rear impact was going to be like.

When I saw the corner station go by on my ride side, I've never been more relieved in my entire life.

We eventually came to a stop out in the field, pretty much facing T1.

Student was pretty shaken up, I asked him if he was OK, and he said "I think so". He asked me if I was OK, and I said "No, not really"...

It was pretty scary. The wild part was how quickly it snapped in 2 different directions. I'd love to see some datalogger data on that spin, but unfortunately he had no Video/Audio/Data... So all I have is the memory of it... which isn't fun to recall.

Anyway, point is, if you've got a fast student at VIR, make sure they keep the wheel steady, and the power planted going through the kink. I had told him all day to do that, but it only took one little slip up to send us on that wild ride...

I'm not posting this to give my student a hard time, he simply made a simple mistake, just like I did in September when I wrecked, I'm just posting it to point out the potential gotchas of the kink there.

Its funny, we pulled in, and Knute(sp?) one of the main guys there for NNJR (he was a total ***** to my student BTW) says "we've never seen that before", and I assured him that it happens all the time at VIR, to which he just kept saying "well we've never seen it before"...

Also, to tell you how close we came to the corner station, there were slight rubber marks on the RR quarter and RF fender where we slightly brushed the tires that wrap around the corner station... Didn't I mention that we were really close to it...

Brian
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Brian,

We built up so much speed pushing that I thought you were going to jump the trailer!

I had a great time hanging out. Run groups were thick but there was still some good action.

Thanks for not melting my bumper and DANG that was some good Italian!

I saw Bull trolling the pits but never had a chance to meet RedlineMan...
Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the help RJ!!!!
I appreciate it!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy crap! 70+ cars in Red??? And here I thought the Zone 2 earlier this year with 55-60 cars was insane and the reason for alot of the trains. It's enrollment like that why it makes sense to run member days and events like Chin (limited enrollment of approximately 80 for the entire event!).
Old 11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
My student sent me on one of the wildest rides on Saturday afternoon that I've ever been on...

He had been gaining speed on the front straight and I had been telling him that its OK to go that fast, as long as you are steady on the wheel, and as long as you DON'T lift through the kink.

Well, we're flying out of hogpen, coming up to the kink, and he decides he should be over a little further to the right, and gives it a quick little right hand snap with the wheel. I'm almost certain that when I saw his hands move out of the corner of my eye that I said "Oh S*(T" - and immediately the car's rear snapped to the left. Then it snapped back to the right and we went right by the guardrail that is next to the tree right at the kink.

When proceeded to start a series of 2 counter-clockwise spins, most of which happened off track.

As the car slowed its spin rate on the second spin, I could see that our trajectory was straight toward the corner station that is out in the field to the left of the straight. Our spin slowed to the point that we were facing backward at a pretty high rate of speed heading right toward the corner station.

I braced for impact, wondering what a rear impact was going to be like.

When I saw the corner station go by on my ride side, I've never been more relieved in my entire life.

We eventually came to a stop out in the field, pretty much facing T1.

Student was pretty shaken up, I asked him if he was OK, and he said "I think so". He asked me if I was OK, and I said "No, not really"...

It was pretty scary. The wild part was how quickly it snapped in 2 different directions. I'd love to see some datalogger data on that spin, but unfortunately he had no Video/Audio/Data... So all I have is the memory of it... which isn't fun to recall.

Anyway, point is, if you've got a fast student at VIR, make sure they keep the wheel steady, and the power planted going through the kink. I had told him all day to do that, but it only took one little slip up to send us on that wild ride...

I'm not posting this to give my student a hard time, he simply made a simple mistake, just like I did in September when I wrecked, I'm just posting it to point out the potential gotchas of the kink there.

Its funny, we pulled in, and Knute(sp?) one of the main guys there for NNJR (he was a total ***** to my student BTW) says "we've never seen that before", and I assured him that it happens all the time at VIR, to which he just kept saying "well we've never seen it before"...

Also, to tell you how close we came to the corner station, there were slight rubber marks on the RR quarter and RF fender where we slightly brushed the tires that wrap around the corner station... Didn't I mention that we were really close to it...

Brian
There's a corner worker on the left approaching T1?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

hence bag the nnjr event
Old 11-14-2007, 03:33 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 930man
hence bag the nnjr event
Zactly!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

BKS-

Just out of curiosity what kind of car was your student driving??

Of all the places to get bit at VIR I would think the kink was fairly low on the list. (Learned something new today)
Old 11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Student was driving a 930. And NO, there's not a corner worker out there, UNLESS its a Rolex/Grand Am event, but there is a station.

My car floats a ton through the kink. Sometimes it literally feels like someone is picking the car up and setting it over to the left about 2-4ft. At higher speeds, the cars get really light there, just at the crest of kink. Out of hogpen you are going uphill a little, right at the tree, you begin going downhill, and the track falls away from you a little and actually is probably just a tick off-camber.

Anyway, stay on the power, and smooth with the steering. A lift in a 930 is much more abrupt that it would be in your car Eddie, which would cause a sudden shift in weight transfer. That's pretty much what happened here, along with the slight crank of the wheel to the right.

Anyone remember seeing the video of the Viper that spun in front of the BMW and missed the BMW by 6 inches or so?, that's pretty much what happened here.

Brian
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

But I'm not a member Dell
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbarton
Hey John, where you out in Blue/White or did you have a co-drover?
Hey;

My girlfriend was in Blue, and she was also my student. I DID switch groups many times, mostly running in Black because the schedule had us back-to-back all weekend! I really hate that.

I did indeed go out in the last Blue/White session to have a look-see. I often do that just to see how "the Kids" are doing, and to wind down on the last day with a relaxing final run(s). It's also nice to actually pass someone for a change!! Not many chances at that for me in Red.

I also do it to look for folks in need of a few pointers. It's a way to still get seat time, and also give some needed instruction. Follow the leader has worked wonders for some folks in the past, when they have gotten the hint. I will probably post a story about that session. It gave me a great chance to reduce future trains caused by a certain driver. Look for the story elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
But I'm not a member Dell
We need to get you joined up ASAP!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
There's a corner worker on the left approaching T1?
The station, out in the field on the left of the front straight kink, was no manned at the event. I have never seen it used for a DE.

Brian's description is no exaggeration. I watched the whole thing from the pits and was amazed that the car missed the tire barrier in front of the Jersey curbs protecting the flag station. I didn't realize who was in the car until now.

Quick Reply: The Official NNJR @ VIR 2007 thread...