Sponsored by:

RV as tow and DE/Track command center?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RV as tow and DE/Track command center?

I'm strongly considering getting an RV as a tow vehicle for track days and would like to hear from you that use them and have had a pickup or SUV vehicle before that. I'm thinking it would be nice to have for times when my family comes with me. Also Im thinking the overall functionality would surpass just having a truck.

Pro's vs Con's, the good, bad and ugly, all feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I shared a race car with a buddy that had a used 32' class A. (gas), mileage stinks, (6-8mpg) motor and trans longevity is about 60k miles. depreciation is high on new models, diesel is much better but lot more money.

But there is nothing like having a shower and hot meal between sessions in A/C while watching football.. great for the kids, family. almost priceless.

I know another guy that doesn't have a truck, and rents a 24' class c for sebring.

both pulled an open trls and didn't seem to have any issues towing.

go for it!
Old 10-13-2007, 02:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is one of the long term options I'm considering as well as my family has rented RV's many time for vacations.

If you have an enclosed trailer as I have a gas RV ususllly doesn't have the towing capacity to pull 8K#'s so that means a diesel is your only reliable option. There are some "Super C's" and of course the diesel pushers that can handle it with no problem.

Prices start in the low 130's or so and you really have to consider the total length when you're driving that rig.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:17 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We just got a Freigtliner Toterhome and its a beast!! I will pull anything you put behind it. Its much easier being able to stay at the track and not have to pack everything up at the end of the day and then get back early in the morning to unpack everything again. Plus A/C and a shower is a nice break.

Chris
Old 10-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I've rented some and I echo the comments above. Problem with buying one is that the truck/suv you can drive to the office....
Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It is so nice to be able to sleep and eat at the track. Having AC and a comfortable couch is a luxury on hot days. The only real downsides I see are cost (purchase, maintain, fuel) and having somewhere to store it.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine for the last two years and I will never go back with out one. I get 8 to 10 mpg towing. My old SUV/ Truck would get around 12 to 14 but I would have to rent a room, drive from track to room etc... I bring all my food and snacks with me. I have Sat TV, A/C, pillow top bed that nobody else has been on. I usually have a guest or my family come to the track with me. We set up camp and usually my smoker draws a crowd at the end of the day or lunch time on sunday. My wife hated coming to the track but now with the home on wheels she loves comming as she has a place to get out of the weather/ sun when needed. She can also sleep in while I get up for the drivers meetings. OH, its also nice to be able to wake up around 5 min before the meeting and not be late. I could go on and on but you just need to go out and buy one. I prefer the diesel pusher but there are many types to choose from.

Also, we use ours for family vacations as well. Taking the family to Disney next month.

Its worth every penny.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Here I am getting ready for a track weekend.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I've thought about this and they look like a nice alternative. Is this considered camping or not? Some tracks don't allowing camping for a variety of reasons. The main reason I have heard cited is overnight security.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:20 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a couple of motorhomes and for myself the time and effort spent on maintaining and prepping them for a weekend was out weighed by the savings at the destination. No need to maintain the hotel room and the hotel cost is far offset by fuel costs. Standard motorhomes have little tow cap as the drive-line cap is most often used up by the body and gear.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
the time and effort spent on maintaining and prepping them for a weekend was out weighed by the savings at the destination. ...hotel cost is far offset by fuel costs. Standard motorhomes have little tow cap as the drive-line cap is most often used up by the body and gear.
Cost differential/savings further clouded by the cost of storage. If you attend events where camping is not allowed and if Rv'ing is considered camping; then, you incur greater logistics and cost penalties. Two of my favorite tracks do not allow camping at our events - Mid Ohio and Watkins Glen. Not sure about VIR.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We really enjoy staying at the track when we go to race weekends - lots of fun after hour socializing and we can take our family - 2 dogs.

I have gone through years of aggravation and unspeakable stupid sums of money trying to figure out the right rig. This is a bit of what I've learned...

Class A gas - a really bad idea. Most all of these are over built on their chassis and not stable. Add a trailer and it's the tail wagging the dog, add a 20 mph+ cross wind or a semi passing and its a death grip on the steering wheel. We took a bath selling ours but after the 500th time of almost crashing, it was worth it.

39' Freightliner truck conversion plus a 25' stacker - nice, lots of room and amenities, huge towing capacity. BUT, lots of work to take care of, store, drive and park. Too big for my wife to drive, too big for me to take to a race when she didn't go and only taking one car. Slow over the moutain passes. Takes up a lot of premium paddock space - always have to be early, first in, last out. Too big for most RV parks and campgrounds - lots of noisy nights at truck stops. It's for sale on my web site - link below.

Now - 27' class C built on a Ford 550 crew cab, 6.0L diesel, 4WD, 24' V nose ATC aluminum trailer. For me this is the perfect combo. Diesel for towing, 4wd for the occasional snow in the pass that I hit every spring and fall. Took the back seats out of the cab and have room for the dogs. Easy for both of us to drive (wife, not the dogs). Great dual purpose to take camping or racing. Easy to park. Down side - a bit cramped feeling after having the big rig. Builder - www.hostcampers.com

Old 10-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are some nice rigs, guys! And thanks for posting.

I currently tow with an Armada that handles my open trailer and car with ease. I'm fortunate to have a company vehicle also, so a second car is not really needed for the household. An RV would be for family trips and track days however as mentioned, the biggest issue I see is storing the behemoth.
I'll likely rent one a couple of times to get a feel of it and go from there.
Thanks for the insight because it sounds like the way to go for track days.

Last edited by Abby Normal; 10-14-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkPcar
We really enjoy staying at the track when we go to race weekends - lots of fun after hour socializing and we can take our family - 2 dogs.

I have gone through years of aggravation and unspeakable stupid sums of money trying to figure out the right rig. This is a bit of what I've learned...

Class A gas - a really bad idea. Most all of these are over built on their chassis and not stable. Add a trailer and it's the tail wagging the dog, add a 20 mph+ cross wind or a semi passing and its a death grip on the steering wheel. We took a bath selling ours but after the 500th time of almost crashing, it was worth it.

39' Freightliner truck conversion plus a 25' stacker - nice, lots of room and amenities, huge towing capacity. BUT, lots of work to take care of, store, drive and park. Too big for my wife to drive, too big for me to take to a race when she didn't go and only taking one car. Slow over the moutain passes. Takes up a lot of premium paddock space - always have to be early, first in, last out. Too big for most RV parks and campgrounds - lots of noisy nights at truck stops. It's for sale on my web site - link below.

Now - 27' class C built on a Ford 550 crew cab, 6.0L diesel, 4WD, 24' V nose ATC aluminum trailer. For me this is the perfect combo. Diesel for towing, 4wd for the occasional snow in the pass that I hit every spring and fall. Took the back seats out of the cab and have room for the dogs. Easy for both of us to drive (wife, not the dogs). Great dual purpose to take camping or racing. Easy to park. Down side - a bit cramped feeling after having the big rig. Builder - www.hostcampers.com

Mark-

Nice alternative. What are the towing capacities? I didn't see anything listed on their site.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Mark-

Nice alternative. What are the towing capacities? I didn't see anything listed on their site.
+1, this might be the compromise I've always wanted if it can safely tow 10k#. Can it sleep 4? (2 adults, 2 kids)

Hmm, the prices make a used class A seem cheap.

Quick Reply: RV as tow and DE/Track command center?