Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weights won't stay on track tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

I get it when im braking for sure...we mark the tires every session and they ALWAYS shift a large amount for my car...ALWAYS...it has set the ABS off twice since Ive been tracking the car...Bill is still trying to see whats up...and they rotate on every wheel...be it fikse or kinesis...its annoying and I rarely get to enjoy a balance...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I get it when im braking for sure...we mark the tires every session and they ALWAYS shift a large amount for my car...ALWAYS...it has set the ABS off twice since Ive been tracking the car...Bill is still trying to see whats up...and they rotate on every wheel...be it fikse or kinesis...its annoying and I rarely get to enjoy a balance...
Like someone said earlier, use AquaNet hairspray on the bead when mounting the tire instead of water/soap. What tires, size tires, and rims are you running?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sechsgang
What springs/struts are on your car? If that is true, I'd think you'd be better off with no weights.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
The first weight that I mentioned was dangling from a piece of duct tape! I was just embarrassed to say my local tire guy used duct tape to cover the weights. What is the best thing to clean the wheel with to prepare it for sticking on the aluminum tape?

Thanks!
If the wheels are not painted then you can use Goof-Off if you can find it. Dissolves glue (and everything else) quite well. Best to clean the entire wheel and scotchbrite/SOS pad it before giving it to the balancer..
Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary, I added the step of metal polish (after the goo-gone) for the inside of the rims and it removed the rest of the crap.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duct tape isn't suitable for taping weights. However, some race tire shops will use a grey MIL spec tape that looks like duct tape (but is not). This tape works very well, it's just not available at hardware stores. I use the aluminum HVAC tape, and since I also had weights breaking through a single layer, now double it.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Regarding the wheel weights falling off -- I haven't had an issue with that at all - with both street tires and R-compounds driven on the track. And I run my wheel weights naked -- no alum. foil tape, duct tape, or racer's tape over them. Eurotire in Fairfield, NJ does all my wheel mounting, and they are very familiar with this track stuff. It is nearly impossible for me to get the old residue from prior wheel weights off my wheels -- perhaps they are using a stickier adhesive. (Note to self: Having said that, I'd better put some of that alum. tape you bought earlier this year on your wheel weights before the next event...)

Then again, in the Northeast, the humidity and heat characteristics are different than in Florida. I suspect that plays a big role in losing the weights.

-Z-man.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Regarding the wheel weights falling off -- I haven't had an issue with that at all - with both street tires and R-compounds driven on the track. And I run my wheel weights naked -- no alum. foil tape, duct tape, or racer's tape over them.
There you go - proof that driving slow works.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Regarding the wheel weights falling off -- I haven't had an issue with that at all - with both street tires and R-compounds driven on the track. And I run my wheel weights naked -- no alum. foil tape, duct tape, or racer's tape over them. Eurotire in Fairfield, NJ does all my wheel mounting, and they are very familiar with this track stuff. It is nearly impossible for me to get the old residue from prior wheel weights off my wheels -- perhaps they are using a stickier adhesive. (Note to self: Having said that, I'd better put some of that alum. tape you bought earlier this year on your wheel weights before the next event...)

Then again, in the Northeast, the humidity and heat characteristics are different than in Florida. I suspect that plays a big role in losing the weights.

-Z-man.
Z-man, I will control myself and not take the easy lay-up you have laid out there....but, the issue is not usually caused by ambient temp and moisture conditions, or else we would have been flinging wheel weights like a Gatling Gun at Summit Point last year, and other events where it was 95 degrees and 80% humidity. The problem is usually caused by heat generated by the brakes and tires, which migrates to the wheel weights, melting the glue. Combined with high wheel speed, you achieve launch conditions.

I know most of that is theoretical for you..... (see, I couldn't resist!)
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Well, I suppose I did open that opportunity - Bull gets a layup & Brian P with a slam dunk...

HOWEVER both of you know my over braking tendancies - so even at my reduced pace, I should be getting plenty of heat in my brakes/wheels/wheel weights...

Hmm - did I just do a layup on my own?!?

-Z-man.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the aluminum tape from ACE Hardware, double layered it, and still had weights loosen up; they didn't come loose, but I wouldn't run them again w/o retaping. Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Don't brake so much
Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Prep is everything. Be sure to clean the surface quite well before applying the tape. Also, be sure that the weights are properly affixed.

Don't know what else to say, as it worked quite well for the Grand Am Cup Cars at the 2 endurance races I crewed. (24hrs and Sunchaser).
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
How does this help keep wheel weights on?
Somebody waaay smarter than I once explained it to me this way:

Radiant heat from the brake rotors gets the lead weights hot, and the heat in the lead weights seeks to dissipate to the larger, cooler aluminum (or steel) wheels. The foam double backed tape is insulating the lead weights from the wheel (heat sink), and the weights get hotter than the foam tape can tolerate, so the heat energy essentially melts it's way through the foam tape as it seeks a way to get to the dissipating material of the wheel.

The HVAC tape, though thin, is an effective insulator from the radiant heat, so the weights don't get much hotter than the wheels - a temperature range which the foam tape can tolerate.

Makes sense to a dumb guy like me. Thermal engineers can correct as necessary.
Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Just use the kind they hammer on the lip of the rim.
OH GOD. NO!!

They become projectiles on the track!!

First when your wheel spits one off...

then again everytime somebody drives over one with a gooey tire.

Quick Reply: Wheel weights won't stay on track tires