Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day 1, Green Student, 400hp, First DE...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:17 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
James, you might want to reconsider turning off stability management system with any green student. No matter how "gifted" he was, his lack of seat time on the track can come back to bite you big time on the butt.
i don't know James-man, but something tells me he was joking
Old 10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i was teaching at an event a week ago and one of the other instructors had a well known and very successful professional athlete as a student. He remarked later that this student was the most focused person he's ever met and that when he told him to do something, he just did it. Some people just have a natural ability that makes them successful at these types of things.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
9-kevin-11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James -

Good to see you out there (I had lunch with you today). Hope things went well for you!!! I had a blast today! The track didn't get greasy in the late afternoon - it was soooo nice to run on!

kev
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have had very good experiences instructing motocrossers & motorcycle racers.
I've been riding dirt bikes for about 13yrs you know, only ever raced once though. So there goes your "good experiences" argument, haha.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
I've been riding dirt bikes for about 13yrs you know, only ever raced once though. So there goes your "good experiences" argument, haha.
Either I didn't know that, or I had forgotten it. Either way, there is always one exception to every rule.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:05 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had very good experiences instructing motocrossers & motorcycle racers.
haha

I used to race YZ 250s . . .
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Either I didn't know that, or I had forgotten it. Either way, there is always one exception to every rule.
I'm honored to be that exception!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I raced on off-road motorcycles (Bultaco forever!), must be why I have such uncanny abilities... of course that was 30 years ago.
Raced a sherpa tss at Laconia long, long ago. Only real Bultaco heads know about their road-racing machines.

Bultaco discovered, just as did Porsche, that , if you water-cool an engine, the specific horsepower possible is quite a bit higher.

Last edited by Willard Bridgham 3; 10-08-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 AM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
i don't know James-man, but something tells me he was joking
First session it was on. 2nd day session 1 had some rain, so on again. The rest of the time it was off. The track is among the safest out there with plenty of run off so there is not as much of a fear factor concerning loss of control.

The whole weekend, there were only 2 grossly overcooked turns, he recovered nicely.

I had no problem with the stability management off - he proved himself right away, and it is probably better to develop good throttle application and braking habits early, then have to relearn. Assuming he remembers his line the next time out, I think he is ready to work on car rotation with some lift-throttle oversteering.

It all sounds so wrong and unlikely, but true.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:02 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have had nothing but good weekends when I had AF or Navy pilots for students. In order to be a good pilot youhave top be a good learner. Listen, learn and remember the details. An "off" in a fighter sucks.

OTOH my father was a fighter pilot and he always said fighter pilots were a chosen few. He said thay you had to be just smart enough to fly the thing and just dumb enough to do it. He was one of the smartest men I ever knew, blowing up angry people before they shoot you for a living in 3 wars excepted. II, Korea and Nam.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:27 AM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
James, you might want to reconsider turning off stability management system with any green student. No matter how "gifted" he was, his lack of seat time on the track can come back to bite you big time on the butt.
Point taken.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Raced a sherpa tss at Laconia long, long ago. Only real Bultaco heads know about their road-racing machines.

Bultaco discovered, just as did Porsche, that , if you water-cool an engine, the specific horsepower possible is quite a bit higher.
Sherpa was their Trials bike wasn't it? My brother had a 350 Sherpa T, could pull stumps with it!
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John H
what is a failed kamikazi pilot? someone who crashed on purpose and lived to tell about it?
Someone who crashed and missed?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM
gerry100
Pro

Every little boy wants to be a fighter pilot at some point.

As a taxpayer and surface dweller I'm glad that the Govt has a rigorous selection process for who gets to drive our $40MM machines.

Not only do they have to be focused,smart and good learners but to get to the fighters they must have a metric sh*tload of natural ability.

Should be no surprise they can perform ""well" on a track as compared to those of us equipped only with some disposable income and determination.

As far as the bad experince with Military pilots on the track - I'll bet it was the old nemesis of learning - ego.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Sherpa was their Trials bike wasn't it? My brother had a 350 Sherpa T, could pull stumps with it!
Sherpa Tss was a water-cooled, two-stroke, single cylinder road racer. They used the name sherpa w/o the tss for other bikes.

How's that for hijacking..........

Quick Reply: Day 1, Green Student, 400hp, First DE...