Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Partial Roll Cage safe for DD duty.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:36 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Partial Roll Cage safe for DD duty.

Does anyone have pics? I would like to be safe in the car on the street, which involves not hitting my head on chromemoly (sic), and still being able to put my 5 year old in the back seat.

What about a Hoop around the car just behind the doors, tied down diagonally through the bottom corner of the door opening, thereby not making it difficult for people to get in and out.

Is there a compromise here? Not a safety compromise, but one where the other options is simply to not install one on a track driven car?

This is a good pic of a cage, complete. What about without the rear struts to the shock towers (I would add later when the car may become a full race) - the bar goes around, and mine could go forward to a third into the door opening, no more.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just crossed the tracks and got a track-specific car. On the street, a track car is harsh and not ideal, and on the track, a street car is a compromise of performance and safety.

I now have a Boxster for the street, and one for the track. Two totally different needs, two totally different cars.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Most will tell you there is no compromise here. A roll bar and children do not mix, ever.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

No way should you be putting anyone in the back seat if there's a hoop.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your only option is a bolt in roll bar like the DAS weekender, plan to bolt it in and out for track weekends. Day to day a rollbar just isn't safe on the street, too much of a risk of head injury. Another option might be something custom like the Ruf integrated roll bar, but that is going to be mucho $$$$$$.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Agree with Doug. Once you get a DAS bar fit right, it goes in and out pretty quickly. You have to take the seats out obviously, but they go in and out in a snap. I'd figure an hour before the event to get everything installed and an hour after to get it all out. The DAS bar is only four bolts and although it does take a little fitting work the first time, after that it's not too bad. You can get one used on Pelican every once in a while or new from CDOC.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Back in 1996 I had a nice Datsun 260Z with a bolt in Autopower rollcage. Had the front hailo made by a fabrication shop, and integrated into their "race" 4 point bar... I was in an accident while driving the car on the street. I was hit from behind in rush hour traffic and slammed into the rear of another car. On the plus side, the cage stopped the car from accordianing in on itself. On the negative side, even with my racing harness on, I hit the top of the halo with my head and rung my bell big time.

Since then my advice has always been that IF it's gonna be street driven, then you gotta make sure the "casual contact" is reduced to zero. If you or a passenger can move about the area and touch the bars with any part of the body (Without reaching up and grabing them), then it's a bad bad idea... And children and steel tubing don't mix...

Mike
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Agree with Doug. Once you get a DAS bar fit right, it goes in and out pretty quickly. You have to take the seats out obviously, but they go in and out in a snap. I'd figure an hour before the event to get everything installed and an hour after to get it all out. The DAS bar is only four bolts and although it does take a little fitting work the first time, after that it's not too bad. You can get one used on Pelican every once in a while or new from CDOC.
On my 996TT I only pull out one seat to remove my DAS bar... Takes less than an hour total to remove or install it.
Mike

Quick Reply: Partial Roll Cage safe for DD duty.