Fuji F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Come on guys, you are not aware of that F1 teams have two sets of mechanics so that both drivers have their own?
Re-watch the tape. It was more than just Hamilton's mechanics cheering. Speed showed multiple shots of McLaren mechanics and team officials openly celibrating. No way all of them where Ham's guys.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:53 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

Anywho to me the drive of the day goes to Massa & Kimi...Massa, because if not for team orders he would've finished ahead of Kimi and Kimi because like Massa he drove his *** off to come from the back.

It's unfortunate for LH, he's had an awesome year and is obviously very, very good...but McLaren cheated and therefore the whole season and champioship are tainted.
My sentiments exactly!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:08 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,005 Posts

I've just got finished watching the race on tape and thought it was a great race after the safety car period was over.

Admittedly I'm a huge Ferrari F1 fan and to think Ferrari didn't know what they were doing with Intermediates and they "goofed" is really being niave. If nothing else, Formula 1 is Machiavellian. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. All teams watch all the other teams like hawks and Ferrari knew everyone else was on full wets. They gambled that the weather might dry up and they would be at an advantage with the inters as the racing line cleared up. As it stands, the weather didn't change much and the gamble didn't pay off. But it doesn't take away from Kimi's drive and that pass on the outside.

Regarding Alonso, well at least we won't have to hear about the conspiracy theories from A. Wayne about the team sabatoge or other treatment issues. He died from his own hand, a fitting end as a he is beaten by a rookie with the same equipment. The only question left to answer as we move onto the final 2 races is which team Alonso will infect next year.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Nano
Racer

Did it ever happen in F1 history that the pace car spun off?

Man, that benz was hauling. I thought he was going to fly off the track!

beside the pace car, Hamilton did a fantastic race... guy has a lot of skill and a good amount of luck, both are critical.

Looked as if Ferrari made the impossible to lose this race on purpose, fantastic Kimi didnt agree.

Last edited by Nano; 10-01-2007 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by M3Pete
They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. All teams watch all the other teams like hawks and Ferrari knew everyone else was on full wets.

The reason I heard, is that they listen to a different weather forecast than other team. Like the french weather or something, and it said the sky would open up. Now why would you listen to french forecast in Japan, I can't answer.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

I don't like this kind of silly rain races where luck plays such a big part.
Luck is always a part of racing, it's part of what makes it exciting. You just see this more in the rain. Remember Hockenheimring?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
Did it ever happen in F1 history that the pace car spun off?

Man, that benz was hauling. I thought he was going to fly off the track!

beside the pace car, Hamilton did a fantastic race... guy has a lot of skill and a good amount of luck, both are critical.

Looked as if Ferrari made the impossible to lose this race on purpose, fantastic didnt agree.
Yeah that new Benz is something else! What a cool car. I'd like to know more about the drivers that drive the safety car each week.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Admittedly I'm a huge Ferrari F1 fan and to think Ferrari didn't know what they were doing with Intermediates and they "goofed" is really being niave. If nothing else, Formula 1 is Machiavellian. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. All teams watch all the other teams like hawks and Ferrari knew everyone else was on full wets. They gambled that the weather might dry up and they would be at an advantage with the inters as the racing line cleared up. As it stands, the weather didn't change much and the gamble didn't pay off.
Great read on the situation. I had not thought of that, but it makes sense.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

The reason I heard, is that they listen to a different weather forecast than other team. Like the french weather or something, and it said the sky would open up. Now why would you listen to french forecast in Japan, I can't answer.
Todt is French you know. Renault must have been listening to the same French forcasters because they went with the full dry set up. The gamble paid off for them.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

With respect to Ferrari saying they didnt receive the tire bulletin, why doesnt the FIA just enable 'return receipt' within its email system?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I'm not a Ferrari fan but it wasn't their fault when the FIA forgets to tell them that it was ok and actually a safety requirement for them to change tyres on the grid.
With all due respect, I find it hard to belive that Ferrari can't look around and see that almost every other team is putting full wets on thier car on the grid. I also believe that is a rule that they are permitted to change to full wets...

Regardless, the team also managed to mess up Massa's race. Everybody knows you can't re-pass under yellow (Saftey Car) even if you spin (Of course if your Lewis Hamilton you will get your lap back for no good reason). By that point they should know just to bring him in for full wets and re-fuel the car for the full race. They should also know that you can't serve a penalty when the safety car is out, but he did his first drive through under the safety car.

I also find it hard to believe that the last pitstop by Massa was justified. I do however suspect that they brought Massa in to give position to Kimi for the WC points.

The Ferrari team looked bad this race... and without question I think the drive of the race was Kimi... Not Lewis Hamilton...

cheers,
P
Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
With respect to Ferrari saying they didnt receive the tire bulletin, why doesnt the FIA just enable 'return receipt' within its email system?
+1 Especially since that's what's required with paper stuff (signature). In any case, Ferrari received their e-mail 7 minutes (or something) after the race started.

Originally Posted by PPo
With all due respect, I find it hard to belive that Ferrari can't look around and see that almost every other team is putting full wets on thier car on the grid. I also believe that is a rule that they are permitted to change to full wets...
That's exactly why Ferrari put intermediates on. Since everyone else, especially McLaren were on full wets, they gambled with the intermeds.
Where they really got screwed up was when FIA ordered them to change to full wets after the race had started, I can't believe FIA went and did that. It was FIA's ****up (or was it planned?) that they didn't send a notice to Ferrari in time, then they penalyze Ferrari for their mistkake! And their apology after the race obviously means ****, that order finalyzed Ferrari's chances of winning the race and the slim changes they had for WDC.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Skill makes its own luck. Especially in auto racing.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Nano
Racer

That's exactly why Ferrari put intermediates on. Since everyone else, especially McLaren were on full wets, they gambled with the intermeds.
Where they really got screwed up was when FIA ordered them to change to full wets after the race had started, I can't believe FIA went and did that. It was FIA's ****up (or was it planned?) that they didn't send a notice to Ferrari in time, then they penalyze Ferrari for their mistkake! And their apology after the race obviously means ****, that order finalyzed Ferrari's chances of winning the race and the slim changes they had for WDC.

Ferrari should have known better than to start on intermediates, they gambled wrong. It's more their fault than the FIAs. They were hoping for the skies to clear, didn't happen. Fact FIA made full wets mandatory was secondary, it could have spared them the "blunder" but it was their decision to start on intermediates.

How competent the FIA is in handling these things... not much.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ferrari should have known better than to start on intermediates, they gambled wrong. It's more their fault than the FIAs. They were hoping for the skies to clear, didn't happen. Fact FIA made full wets mandatory was secondary, it could have spared them the "blunder" but it was their decision to start on intermediates.

How competent the FIA is in handling these things... not much.
Well that's why it's called gambling, some times you win, some times you don't. Ferrari gambled and this time they lost, it's very easy to see it now, you know I could call Alonso now and tell him he should've taken that corner little slower so he wouldn't have chrashed, am I brilliant or what?
If the rain had stopped 5 min. after the start, they would've won their gamble and we could say it was a brilliant call. Nothing new here, that's how gambling has always been, like I said, some times you win, some times you don't

However that's not the issue. Of course FIA making full wets mandatory was secondary and maybe telling that after the start was also.
However, forcing Ferrari to pit on lap 2 because of their (FIA's) own mistake was completely wrong and made sure Ferrari had no chance.

Quick Reply: Fuji F1