Sponsored by:

Fuji F1

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wayne,

I don't see Hamilton's winning as luck. Alonso had a big moment just before pitting and did some farming. That is where he lost over a second. Luck is funny: I won my first race in the rain running on slick instead of treads. I still feel lucky. Long time racers insisted that I just call it racing and take it as a win. This year at the Glen, I was not lucky; had my DME get wet and intermittent during qualifying, trans was assembled wrong 2 weeks prior. Blah blah blah. I still managed not to do well depsite trying. So that was unlucky, but despite all of Hamilton's "unlucky" moments including getting punted in the race, he is in first place. He is that good and for some it's hard to accept. It takes talent to kick a 20yd field goal with 2 seconds on the clock. Alot more talent than any of us have or will anytime soon. Kudos to Hamilton and Kimi for a great drives. I guess FA was just ..............unlucky?
Old 09-30-2007, 01:30 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hamilton wins chaotic Japanese GP

By Matt Beer Sunday, September 30th 2007, 06:35 GMT

Lewis Hamilton took a huge step closer to the world championship title by winning a sodden and chaotic Japanese Grand Prix, while his teammate and title rival Fernando Alonso crashed out.

The result puts Hamilton 12 points clear of Alonso with only two races to go.

Renault's Heikki Kovalainen and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen came through to second and third, despite Raikkonen falling to the rear of the field early on.

The first 19 laps of the race were run behind the safety car due to the appalling visibility at Fuji. Despite instructions from race control that the field must start on extreme wet tyres, the Ferraris were both fitted with intermediates, and had to stop during the caution.

Both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen also had spins while behind the safety car, with Massa incurring a drive-through penalty for overtaking under yellow after his rotation.

The McLarens eased away when the race began, while in their wake Jenson Button tapped Nick Heidfeld into a half-spin at Turn 1, dropping the BMW to 10th and breaking the Honda's front wing.

Toro Rosso's Sebastian Vettel avoided the mess and moved up to third, followed by Mark Webber. Button persevered in fifth with no wing for several laps before admitting defeat and pitting, which moved Giancarlo Fisichella and Kovalainen up to fifth and sixth.

Having run light fuel loads in their battle for pole, both McLarens had to make pitstops within eight laps of the race getting underway. Alonso pitted first and emerged behind the Renaults and Robert Kubica, but Hamilton ran one lap further and was able to extend his lead sufficiently to come out between Webber and Fisichella.

That put Vettel into the lead for the first time in his short Grand Prix career, where he stayed for four laps before pitting and handing the advantage to Webber, who stayed out a further four laps at the head of the field.

Meanwhile the McLarens were having a bruising time in traffic. Running light on fuel, Kubica passed both Renaults and then attacked Hamilton, but tagged the McLaren into a spin. Both were able to resume after a seven second delay, and Kubica was later given a drive-through penalty for the incident.

Just one lap later Alonso was also in trouble, as Vettel ran into him at Turn 1. The second McLaren also spun, and sustained bodywork damage, before continuing in eighth behind Raikkonen - who had made determined progress through the field early on but would lose many of the places gained when he had to pit again on lap 40.

The Renaults - Kovalainen ahead of Fisichella after passing his teammate on lap 30 - ran at the head of the field for several laps before making their sole stops on laps 39 and 40.

That put Hamilton back to the front of the field, ahead of Webber and Vettel, who had swapped places during the pitstops, with Alonso fourth and 10 seconds behind his teammate.

Alonso was starting to edge back into contention, but then aquaplaned into the tyre wall on the approach to Turn 6 on lap 42. The McLaren was wrecked in the massive accident, which scattered debris across the track and prompted another safety car period.

As the field prepared for the restart four laps later, Red Bull's potential superb day fell apart as Vettel ran into the back of Webber at the final corner, taking both out and leaving Vettel distraught and Webber furious.

Kovalainen therefore ran second behind Hamilton when the race resumed, followed by Massa, who had not pitted since topping up with fuel under the long first caution.

The Brazilian had to come in on lap 58, which moved the recovering Raikkonen onto the podium, the Finn having passed David Coulthard around the outside of Turn 5 two laps earlier.

Raikkonen continued to push hard - taking several trips over the asphalt run-off areas - and closed in on Kovalainen in the closing laps, but had to settle for third despite vigorous efforts to pass the Renault.

Kovalainen therefore clinched his first podium, and Renault's first of 2007.

Ahead of them, Hamilton made serene progress towards what could be a critical victory. He had quickly pulled out a lead over Kovalainen following the restart, and ultimately won by 8.3 seconds.

Coulthard provided some comfort for Red Bull by taking fourth, ahead of Fisichella. Heidfeld was set for sixth until his BMW stopped at the start of the final laps.

Rubens Barrichello had been set for his first point of the season in eighth until having to come in for a splash and go fuel stop with seven laps to go. Honda had fuelled him under the first safety car in the hope that the race might not run to its full duration, but the Brazilian ended up 12th, behind teammate Button.

That allowed Massa back into the points, and he moved up to seventh when Heidfeld retired. The Brazilian then closed in rapidly on Kubica and grabbed sixth after a wild, wheel-banging, battle on the final lap.

Vitantonio Liuzzi secured Toro Rosso's first point of the year in eighth. He had run as high as fourth after also fuelling up during the early yellow laps. He ultimately fell down the order after pitting under the caution for Alonso's crash.

Adrian Sutil took ninth after a very strong race for Spyker. The German had charged into the top ten early on, but wasn't able to turn his speed into a first points finish.

PROVISIONAL RACE RESULTS

The Japanese Grand Prix
Mount Fuji, Japan;
67 laps; 305.721km;
Weather: Wet.

Classified:

Pos Driver Team Time
1. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 2h00:34.759
2. Kovalainen Renault (B) + 8.377
3. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) + 9.478
4. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) + 20.297
5. Fisichella Renault (B) + 38.864
6. Massa Ferrari (B) + 49.042
7. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) + 49.285
8. Liuzzi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) + 55.622
9. Sutil Spyker-Ferrari (B) + 1:00.129
10. Barrichello Honda (B) + 1:28.342
11. Button Honda (B) + 1 lap
12. Yamamoto Spyker-Ferrari (B) + 1 lap
13. Trulli Toyota (B) + 1 lap
14. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) + 2 laps
15. Sato Super Aguri-Honda (B) + 2 laps

Fastest lap: Hamilton, 1:28.193

Not classified/retirements:

Driver Team On lap
R.Schumacher Toyota (B) 56
Davidson Super Aguri-Honda (B) 55
Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 50
Vettel Spyker-Ferrari (B) 47
Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 47
Alonso McLaren-Mercedes (B) 42
Wurz Williams-Toyota (B) 20

World Championship standings, round 15:

Drivers: Constructors:
1. Hamilton 107 1. Ferrari 170
2. Alonso 95 2. BMW Sauber 92
3. Raikkonen 90 3. Renault 51
4. Massa 80 4. Williams-Toyota 28
5. Heidfeld 56 5. Red Bull-Renault 23
6. Kubica 35 6. Toyota 12
7. Kovalainen 30 7. Super Aguri-Honda 4
8. Fisichella 21 8. Honda 2
9. Rosberg 15 9. Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1
10. Coulthard 13
11. Wurz 13
12. Webber 10
13. Trulli 7
14. R.Schumacher 5
15. Sato 4
16. Button 2
17. Vettel 1
18. Liuzzi 1

All timing unofficial
Old 09-30-2007, 01:34 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
Wayne,

I don't see Hamilton's winning as luck. Alonso had a big moment just before pitting and did some farming. That is where he lost over a second. Luck is funny: I won my first race in the rain running on slick instead of treads. I still feel lucky. Long time racers insisted that I just call it racing and take it as a win. This year at the Glen, I was not lucky; had my DME get wet and intermittent during qualifying, trans was assembled wrong 2 weeks prior. Blah blah blah. I still managed not to do well depsite trying. So that was unlucky, but despite all of Hamilton's "unlucky" moments including getting punted in the race, he is in first place. He is that good and for some it's hard to accept. It takes talent to kick a 20yd field goal with 2 seconds on the clock. Alot more talent than any of us have or will anytime soon. Kudos to Hamilton and Kimi for a great drives. I guess FA was just ..............unlucky?
Bob,
I did not say Hamilton winning was luck, i said luck played more than skill for most , as when Hamilton was taken out by the BMW , he could have stalled or damaged the car , day done , so he was lucky here, He was also lucky that vettel hit webber as webber looked like he would , could have tried a risky pass for his first win , who knows ... Ham drove a fantastic race , as a matter of fact they all did , to drive in such pissy weather, Kudos to Ham....on the victory.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-30-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM
PPo
Drifting

The penalty Kubica got for kissing Hamilton was a joke... Duh, of course a car is going to slide there...

What was Ferrari thinking at the start? What a bunch of goofs... and I am a Ferrari fan...

-P
Old 09-30-2007, 02:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Vettel penalised for China over Webber clash

www.f1.com

Toro Rosso’s Sebastian Vettel will drop ten places on the grid at his next race as penalty for his collision with Red Bull’s Mark Webber in Sunday’s Japanese Grand Prix.

Vettel ran into the back of the Australian during the second safety-car period whilst in third place. Webber was out on the spot as a result, while Vettel made it back to the pits before retiring his damaged STR02.

The incident was subsequently investigated by stewards, who decided that Vettel had breached Article 16.1 of the Formula One sporting regulations in causing the collision.

As a result the German will be demoted 10 grid places at his next race, expected to be the Chinese Grand Prix next weekend.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

While I do think LH is quite talented, I do feel he seems to attract all kinds of luck along with his talents. It just seems when the situation is grim, LH comes out on top by circumstances around him.

Favorite quotes of the race:
Hobbs-(while the pace car was out before the green) -- 'well, we have Mercedes in first, second and third'
Hobbs-(later in the race) 'Massa has a good shot at doing something silly'
Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
While I do think LH is quite talented, I do feel he seems to attract all kinds of luck along with his talents. It just seems when the situation is grim, LH comes out on top by circumstances around him.

Hobbs-(while the pace car was out before the green) -- 'well, we have Mercedes in first, second and third'

Yah, the quotes are great. Your own statements concludes Hamilton's position. Even when he had the tire go down (I believe at Turkey) just before turn in and avoided hitting the wall by driving straight. I just don't see it as luck anymore. If it's luck, then he belongs in Vegas at the table shooting craps.
It may end up to be his best year in the sport, but time will tell.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Bob,
I did not say Hamilton winning was luck, i said luck played more than skill for most , as when Hamilton was taken out by the BMW , he could have stalled or damaged the car , day done , so he was lucky here, He was also lucky that vettel hit webber as webber looked like he would , could have tried a risky pass for his first win , who knows ... Ham drove a fantastic race , as a matter of fact they all did , to drive in such pissy weather, Kudos to Ham....on the victory.

Was it also luck that hamilton didnt leave the track several times in deplorable conditions like Massa, and Alonso and almost everyone else? Once pits started, he was behind people like everyone else, yet never left the track until he got taken out. He was only lucky that vettel hit webber because heidfeld (or kubica) took him out.

This was by far the best race of the season. Passing, mistakes etc. Hopefully this will be more of what we'll see in 08' with no TC, though obviously not quite as much. Lewis has proven his merit, there is no denying that.

It would be great to have Kimi, Lewis, Fernando and Felipe all leading different teams next year and keep BMW the same. It would make for one of the best constructors championships ever.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
What was Ferrari thinking at the start? What a bunch of goofs... and I am a Ferrari fan...

-P
I'm not a Ferrari fan but it wasn't their fault when the FIA forgets to tell them that it was ok and actually a safety requirement for them to change tyres on the grid.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
If there was any question about how the McLaren team feels about Alonso it was certainly clear in the final moments of Q3.

The pit crew was jumping for joy when Hamilton knocked Alonso out of the top spot.

An interesting reaction for sure.
Originally Posted by BrendanC
+1 Totally Evident from what was shown. It was more the absence of something else than the presence of them cheering.
Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Not really my boy, they have been doing that all year , go back and watch the tapes, Indy , Silverstone and now Japan , not sure about hungary due to you know what , it has been like this for the WC all year .

Not to worry , Hams car has less fuel , so he should be good in the first stint , we will see if Mclaren gives Alonso a miss step....if not stint 2 wil be interesting ...
Come on guys, you are not aware of that F1 teams have two sets of mechanics so that both drivers have their own?

Of cource when one particular group of mechanic' driver wins the pole, they cheer, happens in every team, nothing strange with that. Watch the tapes from previous years also, all teams have this situation.

Race:

I don't like this kind of silly rain races where luck plays such a big part. I agree with one of the Speed viewer who asked about having a Japan race at this time of the year. Regardless, good drive from hamilton. Really stupid to penalyze Kubica, WTF?!
Great drives in the end, Kimi passing culthard & then two Finns fighting with each other, big drive from Kovalainen.
Alonso again couldn't deliver... That was a shame since that effectively handed the WDC to Hamilton, I don't want to take anything away from him, he's been realy good for a rookie but pretty unbelievable that the 2 time WDC will be beaten by his rookie team mate. How does Alonso explain that? Think how many points he would have now if Fisichella was his team mate, he must miss him...
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be very sceptical too but this ain't luck anymore, true skills with a cool head are coming thru.

Talking about luck, after pissing a exorbitant points lead away , getting freaked out by a grandpa on his heels it was total luck that methusalem blew his engine because Alonso had nothing up his sleeve in Japan or Brazil .
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
I used to be very sceptical too but this ain't luck anymore, true skills with a cool head are coming thru.

Talking about luck, after pissing a exorbitant points lead away , getting freaked out by a grandpa on his heels it was total luck that methusalem blew his engine because Alonso had nothing up his sleeve in Japan or Brazil .

LOL, still at it

Pole quick question, how many years now has Kimi not been able to deliver a WC,,,
i guess Ferrari can count on him for next year .... i will give you a hint , it is the same no of times he left the track this weekend ...

I will also add, a top driver would never have allowed his team to start , the race today on intermediates , Schumacher would have been vocal and would have spoken to someone @ the FIA or charlie whiting Directly. To request full wets for the start, in doing so he would have known about the directive , Ferrari has 2 very good no 2's , they Need Alonso or Ham to complete the team ............

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-30-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911
Was it also luck that hamilton didnt leave the track several times in deplorable conditions like Massa, and Alonso and almost everyone else? Once pits started, he was behind people like everyone else, yet never left the track until he got taken out. He was only lucky that vettel hit webber because heidfeld (or kubica) took him out.

This was by far the best race of the season. Passing, mistakes etc. Hopefully this will be more of what we'll see in 08' with no TC, though obviously not quite as much. Lewis has proven his merit, there is no denying that.

It would be great to have Kimi, Lewis, Fernando and Felipe all leading different teams next year and keep BMW the same. It would make for one of the best constructors championships ever.

Aqua plaining off a track is all luck where you end up , Lewis slowed his pace considerably after Alonso off, Alonso was pushing to recover from the great pit strategy that put him behind , this slower pace helped lewis , If you have ever raced in the rain it is all about how you hit the puddles and water tracks left behind , With fogging visors etc, the task becomes very difficult... Funny how after 200 words , luck is the only one seen ...

Next i will be hearing how good lewis Hamilton is , as if i didnt already knew....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 09-30-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

By the way did anyone hear the Hobbs' comment about Hamilton being good in the rain? That's right Hobbo he was brilliant at the European GP and at Fuji the FIA took out Ferrari by not telling them to change tyres and aqua-planening took care of FA...by the way at the time of the incident FA was catching LH and I wonder did Vettel's incident w/FA have anything to do with the car not reacting properly???

Anywho to me the drive of the day goes to Massa & Kimi...Massa, because if not for team orders he would've finished ahead of Kimi and Kimi because like Massa he drove his *** off to come from the back.

It's unfortunate for LH, he's had an awesome year and is obviously very, very good...but McLaren cheated and therefore the whole season and champioship are tainted.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Hobbs is great! My wife and I were laughing our azzes off.

Quick Reply: Fuji F1