Sponsored by:

Fuji F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Well that's why it's called gambling, some times you win, some times you don't. Ferrari gambled and this time they lost, it's very easy to see it now...
I agree with 100%. I don't believe that Ferrari is in the type of situation where they should be taking such a risky chance (gamble). If Spyker, or Super Friends tried this I would understand the reason why and aplaud them for taking the chance. But in this case, sitting on the grid with that much rain, seeing everybody around you on full wets, I would suspect the team would make the smart decision and go with full wets knowing that they can easily stay within the reach of the Mclarens on the same tires and take advantage of other scenarios to win the race.

It just looked like such an immature decision... I would be really interested to understand the reasoning as to why Ferrari went with the intermediates. It didn't make sense to me even before the cars went out...

-Patrick
Old 10-01-2007, 12:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,108 Posts

If not yesterday, than when? The McLaren's qualified 1-2, so they were faster under equal conditions. With Kimi a long shot to win the WC with only 3 races left, why not take a chance and see what happens?

I find no fault in that strategy. The only thing that didn't make sense yesterday was bringing Massa in so Kimi could go by. Massa (and everyone else except Hamilton for that matter) had gone off and on at various points of the track. Why not have Massa have an "off and on" and let Kimi slip by?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Patrick,

I think because Ferrari was in dry set-up and they obviously thought the rain was gonna stop (they really need better weather guy & especially Ross Brawn back), now with that in mind, the decicion makes perfect sense. If their weather prediction was that it's gonna be raining so much all the time, surely they would've changed their plans. In any case, yesterday was a perfect time to try something "grazy" since they were behing McLaren's on startinbg grid, Mcs were strontger and they were behind them in WDC standings. That's when you don't play safe, you gamble.

Other teams didn't have this problem since FIA made that decicion for them, I'm sure some of them would've tried to do the same what Ferrari did.

Where IMO Ferrari screwed up big time was when they changed the tyres, and especially when they took cars in for the second time, they didn't fully fuel up the cars.

At the time I though they were going to be back on top since they were still behind the pace car and the first ones to pit.
Go and top of the tank, then actually hope it's gonna pour "forever", forcing everyone to pit when thir fuel runs out and voila!, they would've been 1-2. Or at least when topping off, be in position where they don't have to pit again.

Well, they didn't top off their tanks and the rain let go a little, which allowed the pace car to go in and that was that.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
Yeah that new Benz is something else! What a cool car. I'd like to know more about the drivers that drive the safety car each week.
The guy driving this past week (don't know if they use the same one each week or not) I believe is a current DTM driver from Germany. That would explain his getting around the track so well.

Several weeks back I was at Spa for the weekend and the guy drove the wheels off of that car in beautiful weather.

Even more impressive was the Mercedes wagon that was behind him for Saturday's events. That thing was keeping up but with a lot more tire noise!!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Well that's why it's called gambling, some times you win, some times you don't. Ferrari gambled and this time they lost, it's very easy to see it now, you know I could call Alonso now and tell him he should've taken that corner little slower so he wouldn't have chrashed, am I brilliant or what?
If the rain had stopped 5 min. after the start, they would've won their gamble and we could say it was a brilliant call. Nothing new here, that's how gambling has always been, like I said, some times you win, some times you don't
Of course, but in those conditions, I thought it was a disproportionate gamble. The Ferraris weren't that far off the pace of the Mclarens. I'd rather be conservative, hope for a mistake from the other team, whathever and bring home as many points as possible. Kimi really saved the day, amazing it is still open (at least mathematically). I thought it was over for him.

I agree the FIA calling the cars back was inappropriate. I meant that seeing the conditions, would it haven been better to do half the race on intermediates? They would have come in anyway at some points, if not the 2nd lap, 4th, 5th... damage was done.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Gee guys, as most believe the series is rigged from the FIA on down evidently, relieve some stress and just give up on F1 as a viable form of racing and find another series to watch. I did. Now I sleep in on Sundays instead of getting up at 7AM to catch the racing live, not recording them has saved a ton of space on my DVR that I use for The War now, and I've finally come to the conclusion, I don't care anymore about McClaren, Ferrari, BMW, Red Bull and etc. Until Bernie and Max are gone its going to continue to be a farce.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
Gee guys, as most believe the series is rigged from the FIA on down evidently, relieve some stress and just give up on F1 as a viable form of racing and find another series to watch. I did. Now I sleep in on Sundays instead of getting up at 7AM to catch the racing live, not recording them has saved a ton of space on my DVR that I use for The War now, and I've finally come to the conclusion, I don't care anymore about McClaren, Ferrari, BMW, Red Bull and etc. Until Bernie and Max are gone its going to continue to be a farce.
No way man, it's still the pinnacle of motor racing and really interesting & exiting. Not sure if there were no Finns involved but at least as long as there are Finns there who can drive, I'll guarantee I'm gonna stay tuned.

I do follow other forms of racing: Rally, Moto GP, Sports Cars etc. though and love them too.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:02 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default The Great Anti-Alonso Conspiracy Mailbox

planet F1.com

Monday 1st October 2007

P-F1ers believe McLaren purposely ruined Fernando Alonso's Japanese GP and his title challenge. Of course damage to his car courtesy of Vettel didn't help either. And as for Hamilton saying McLaren should sack Alonso...

Got something to say? letters@planet-f1.com

McLaren Pit Stops, Bad Calls And Boring Safety Car Starts
I am not surprised that Alonso feels that first pit stop was a wee bit too fishy. And right when Alonso crashed out Ron Dennis was seen laughing or so it seems....

And the start of the race was appalling, is this what F1 has become? F1 is a dangerous sport, drivers don't need to be protected all the time, this is isn't about getting feared, that's what F1 is all about, the risk factor.

We never had rolling starts in the past for normal wet races. This is was by no means a race that needed a rolling start, the start almost looks like a trick to ensure Hamilton had no challenges to his track position....

Just like how Kubica was penalized for touching Hamilton and Vettel was not after he crashed into Alonso.

This is yet another dark race in he 2007 season, marred by bad penalty calls and inconsistent regulation. And most of all, McLaren's antics in the pits and when one of their drivers crashed...

Ron Dennis just showed his true colors, I bet John Todt no matter how much of a moaner and whiner he maybe, has more integrity than this crap of a McLaren team principle.

Hope Kimi wins the title, now that's a more deserving person after Alonso.
Jimmy Williams

McLaren Should Be Banned
Despite warnings from the FIA of any sabotage on Alonso's title bid, McLaren have done just that, by calling Alonso in early with a dubious pit stop and sending him out right into traffic and when they managed a nice clean stop for Hamilton to emerge right in the front of two cars well ahead of Alonso.

Also more evident is the fact that "mysteriously" Alonso's tyres were bad, he has revealed in the past as well that someone seems to be tempering with the tyre pressures. These problems only seem to be happening to him more often. You have to wonder.

And of course since the FIA punished McLaren for cheating but let the drivers go free you have to have less hopes on them penalising McLaren for their devious ploys in favoring one driver over the other in the race today

Now that the Constructors' title doesn't count for McLaren, they are obviously and most blatantly biased towards Hamilton. It's a shame that they show hatred after Alonso exposed them and brought them to justice.

So much for Integrity and Honesty. Don't they get tired of saying the same boring line? It's lost its charm already.
Vicky Harry

McLaren Are Despicable
Did anyone notice Ron Dennis grinning when one of his own drivers, Alonso, crashed out?

It was more than obvious what they did in the pits and to his setups and the qualifying, and that grin on his face sums it all.

Hamilton may be cheap enough to be proud of such a hollow victory but fans have already seen the ugly side of Ron and his favored son.

Ron Dennis is a total bastard when he says he has "honesty and integrity"

F1 can do without such team principals who set a bad example and is a mockery of F1.

The title is already tainted as it is, and now cheaters get to win the title.
Francis Mayker

McLaren Do The Dirty To Alonso
Another dirty race with dirty team play from McLaren. If they want to sabotage Alonso it's better to just sack him rather than ruining his pit stops and giving him botched tyres and then the FIA's boned-headed penalties of penalising Kubica for touching their golden boy Hamilton and Vettel goes free and unpunished after hitting and wrecking Alonso's car which effectively led to his retirement. That's some heavy damage Alonso's car took there. No wonder he aquaplaned of.

McLaren's pit works were all too obvious, it was all setup from the start they just insured Alonso never had chance at pole by denying him a 2nd lap in q3 qualifying, and in the race they call him in first and then give him sh***y tyres.

Great so much for F1 as a sport, another hollow victory for a wimp, who was openly attacking his teammate, when his own boss was telling him to concentrate on racing.

If there is any justice, Hamilton must endure the same fate in the next race, after all the filth and whining he has been doing its disgusting that he is allowed to get away with all this.

Over all a dull race fixed from the start aided by the FIA in making it a 17 laps initial procession.

Hiekki and Kimi impressed, but that's about it.

And Vettel needs to be thrown out for wrecking Webber's and Alonso's day, He is a dangerous driver even if he is fast in the wets.
VH

Vettel Robbed Webber
So here I am, one of the few live races at a reasonable time here in western Australia, watching our boy Webber blitz his way to possibly his first race win ever. I was loving it.

The memories of Monaco last year, where a race win went begging in another Williams ****-up, of Melbourne '06, where the gearbox let go while leading, and all the unreliability woes that have plagued Webbo over the last few years were about to be wiped away with a win or second in Japan 07.

Then in steps the supposed 'wunderkid' Vettel. What a ****...

I would have stormed into the Toro Rosso garage, grabbed the crying little boy, and punched his lights out. It would have been deserved. When he recovered, I would have done it again. This would have gone on for a few hours at least.

Mark's frank comments to Louise summed it up. In oz, if you do on the road what Vettel did to Mark, he would lose his license for a few months at least. That's the least the FIA could do. Maybe STR should stick Bourdais in the car for the last couple of races just to teach this moron how not to drive...

Webbo, on the remote chance you read this, you were robbed - again.
Clay Woolcock, Perth, Western Australia

Actually Lewis To Blame For Webber/Vettel Shunt
We were all furious as we saw Webber retire with damage to the back of his RB3, and couldn't quite figure out why this had happened until we saw the replay that didn't really show us that much of what actually happened.

The thing is being a Webber fan and the Aussie I am actually pointing the finger more at Lewis for driving like a complete and utter twit behind the Safety Car doing his "porpoising" that James Allen described as "crafty gamesmanship" which all had us screaming abuse at our television set.

I read today that Vettel will have to take a 10-place penalty for the Chinese GP. I think that penalty should be given to Lewis! Vettel sure made a mistake but looking across at a car stopped mid corner and Webber not being allowed to overtake as per the rules is what really caused that accident. He also did it in front of Alonso, and from being impartial viewer of the championship contenders can now safely say that I think Lewis is an undeserving winner and will be hoping that Fernando can make the most from the last 2 races and hope Lewis cops some of his own medicine.

I'm pretty sure most Webber fans will agree with me and be backing Alonso.
Andrew Packham

Vettel Unfairly Punished
I find it very interesting that Vettel received a 10 grid spot penalty for the next race, but when Juan Pablo Montoya ran into the back of Michael Schumacher under similar circumstances, not only was JPM not punished, but it was deemed to be Schumacher's fault.

The lack of consistency in the application of F1's rules, often make the sport seem more like professional wrestling than the premier motorsport in the world.
Andrew Ford

Hamilton Wasn't The 'Driver Of The Day'
I was rather peeved that ITV commentator chose Lewis Hamilton as driver of the day for the Japan GP 2007.

If the best driver meant someone behind the Safety Car and didn't get the spray from other cars then Lewis was the best driver of that GP. He must had very difficult time in trying to protect his position from the Safety Car while other cars were just happy to go round and round behind him.
Nora Morshidi, Sarawak, Malaysia

Webber Was
Mark Webber, I like many Australian's commiserate with you after once again a brilliant display of driving has gone unrewarded. Webber's performance in my eye's far outshines Lewis' up front procession.

To battle into second in the proceedings while hindered by food poisoning showed grit and determination! Despite a gastric reflex into his helmet Mark battled on. Maybe PF1 should reserve their captions of admiration for more deserving recipients?
Paul Smithdale, Australia

...Mark Webber must be the unluckiest driver ever in Formula 1. He always seems to finish when he is running in 9th position, but when he is challenging for the lead either the car fails him or he is crashed into. Fuji was perhaps his best chance at a victory...he was catching everyone's hero Lewis Hamilton in far inferior machinery and he had food poisoning. How unlucky it was that Alonso had crashed and forced a safety car... a situation that fell right into the hands of the luckiest man in F1, Lewis Hamilton.

At least we could see what Webber could do. Rain brings Formula 1 onto a more level playing field and I think today we saw who the best racer in Formula 1 is...
Alex, Australia

As For P-F1's Star Of The Race...
Charlie Whiting a star of the race. You've got to be kidding.

Yes, requiring everyone to start on extremes was the right call. But neglecting to tell one team what the rules are may have decided the race, and possibly, Championship.

Unbelievable. Star of the race only the goal is to make Lewis Hamilton the Championship winner by any means possible.

First, not deducting points from drivers when they even admit themselves they broke the rules in the spy saga. Then, penalising a driver who tried to pass Lewis and failed in what was a clearly racing in its pure form. And now, penalising Ferrari to prevent them for catching up in the Championship.

We need a new top racing series. One without bias.
Jari Arkko

Who Does Lewis Think He Is
I'm baffled as to why you should think Hamilton demanding Alonso be kicked out of McLaren would have any bearing on that happening or not. Since when did Ron take into account the wishes of his drivers when deciding their team-mate? Hamilton is not Schumacher and McLaren is not Ferrari.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Alonso has stopped most of his moaning and Hamilton has increased his in direct proportion in the last few weeks? I appreciate that Hamilton is annoyed at Alonso for the whole emails thing, but he's coming across as a bit of goody two shoes - it's 'the team' this and 'the team' that. And yet he's just as selfish as Alonso, as his actions in Hungary demonstrated. He's just paying lip-service to the whole team ethic thing to further his own ends. I'd prefer the loner maverick Alonso to the PR obsessed and ingratiating corporate 'yes' man Hamilton any day.
John Gregor, Edinburgh

...In regards to LH statements regarding FA. Who cares what he thinks, and I am no fan of FA. He is a spoiled child that once he starts his descent in F1 it will like a meteor crashing to earth - he is just too ignorant, or arrogant, at this point in time to understand things like that. JPM, said it best - he is a Ron's baby! And when those apron strings are cut and he is on his own; Lord help him, because I really do not think he is astute as he currently appears, even with the evidence of his technical shortcomings.

RD may yet regret the day he signed this guy both on a personal and professional basis! It is almost like watching Star Wars and the story of Anikin Skywalker - you can see shades of the dark side starting to emerge!

If he wins the WC I may never watch F1 again...while at least until he starts to crash and burn - then it will be fun again!!
John, Canada

Spoilt Brat
Can you guess which driver I'm referring to in the title??

Yep, Lewis Hamilton's opened his mouth again and let us all know what a spoilt little brat he is.

"Ooh, Mr Dennis, please can we get rid of naughty Fernando, I really don't like playing with him? Please make him go away."

It really is pathetic. Lewis's driving may be a great example to other young drivers, but his whining about his team mate is certainly not. I hate to imaging what he'd be like if Alonso was in front of him in the points!

Having heard the two of them (Hamilton and Alonso) interviewed after today's race, it was Alonso who was gracious, while Hamilton just had to get his digs in. He should do that behind McLaren's closed doors. I do not consider myself an Alonso fan (I'm a Ferrari man), but Lewis Hamilton is doing his very best to make Alonso look good!

Hamilton will be unbearable when he wins the championship. Not looking forward to it at all.
Nick

...Just when you thought, "hey this Hamilton bloke isn't that bad", he goes out there and fires yet another salvo at his "recluse" teamy.

It's all-OK that he has the championship in the bag now, but to make comments like these shows the taste of the individual. Even the people who are paying Alonso's salary (McLaren & Mercedes bosses) haven't made such a statement yet and this kid goes on as if he owns the whole garage. Why someone would like to tarnish a well deserved win with uncalled for jibes at his teammate is beyond me.

I am a Macaa fan, always was and forever will be, and if I were the boss I'd drop both the pilots and go for someone who has at least an ounce of gray matter left.
Nilesh Sane
Old 10-02-2007, 01:10 AM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by M3Pete
I've just got finished watching the race on tape and thought it was a great race after the safety car period was over.

Admittedly I'm a huge Ferrari F1 fan and to think Ferrari didn't know what they were doing with Intermediates and they "goofed" is really being niave. If nothing else, Formula 1 is Machiavellian. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing. All teams watch all the other teams like hawks and Ferrari knew everyone else was on full wets. They gambled that the weather might dry up and they would be at an advantage with the inters as the racing line cleared up. As it stands, the weather didn't change much and the gamble didn't pay off. But it doesn't take away from Kimi's drive and that pass on the outside.

Regarding Alonso, well at least we won't have to hear about the conspiracy theories from A. Wayne about the team sabatoge or other treatment issues. He died from his own hand, a fitting end as a he is beaten by a rookie with the same equipment. The only question left to answer as we move onto the final 2 races is which team Alonso will infect next year.
Finally had time to do a bit of catch up reading on the tire issue

Apparently, Ferrari did not know until it was too late that EVERY other team was running wet tires. It was a gamble, but the gamble was based on the fact that other teams might run intermediates as well (including mclaren... even though personally, I believe they knew). They did not receive the FIA bulletin. FIA communication by email is reserved to mundane instructions and lowly announcements. Important RACE annoucements/changes have to be delivered in written form, as per article 15.1 to verify conformity and certify receipt.

Montezemolo asked for excuses from FIA commissars who acted unprofessionally. Jean Todt said it was a shame, but the race was over now, it was too late, and the sport could spare itself another controversy.

FIA has published a press communique with the rule that in the future both systems will be used for important announcements (electronic + written)
Old 10-02-2007, 02:46 AM
Trucho-951
Pro

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
planet F1.com

Monday 1st October 2007

McLaren Pit Stops, Bad Calls And Boring Safety Car Starts
I am not surprised that Alonso feels that first pit stop was a wee bit too fishy. And right when Alonso crashed out Ron Dennis was seen laughing or so it seems....
Wow, Ron Dennis seems to have very canaiving and calculated tactics! What better way to ensure Lewis Hamilont's championship than to sign up Hamilton's greatest threat, Alonso, and control him.

Like the saying goes, "keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer".
Old 10-02-2007, 06:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Some of you guys are missing the point. Sure we can all play the results and see that the gamble that Ferrari took was simply wrong, there's no arguing that, however that's not where the FIA screwed them. What if Ferrari was (as it happened) forced to stop and change tyres and 10 minutes later it'd stopped raining...then Ferrari's gamble would've paid off had it not been for the FIA.

Still to me the biggest screw up was Ferrari not fueling the cars to go the distance...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,108 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
I agree with 100%. I don't believe that Ferrari is in the type of situation where they should be taking such a risky chance (gamble). If Spyker, or Super Friends tried this I would understand the reason why and aplaud them for taking the chance. But in this case, sitting on the grid with that much rain, seeing everybody around you on full wets, I would suspect the team would make the smart decision and go with full wets knowing that they can easily stay within the reach of the Mclarens on the same tires and take advantage of other scenarios to win the race.

It just looked like such an immature decision... I would be really interested to understand the reasoning as to why Ferrari went with the intermediates. It didn't make sense to me even before the cars went out...

-Patrick
Patrick, take a look at the comments made today by Coulthard at www.f1racing.net In essence, he is acknowledging the fact that Ferrari took a chance on inters like they did at Malaysia in 2001 and the gamble worked for them then. He believes there was too much standing water on Sunday, however.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Patrick, take a look at the comments made today by Coulthard at www.f1racing.net In essence, he is acknowledging the fact that Ferrari took a chance on inters like they did at Malaysia in 2001 and the gamble worked for them then. He believes there was too much standing water on Sunday, however.
Ya... I was reading that last night, and also considering the replies that where made here, I have realized that my earlier statements where simply wrong and I based those conclusions on very little information and general observation of the race.... sorry if I pissed anyone off.

I hope it was at least an interesting conversation!

cheers,
Patrick

Last edited by PPo; 10-03-2007 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Moving Chicane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PPo
Ya... I was reading that last night, and also considering the replies that where made here, I have realized that my earlier statements where simply wrong and I based those conclusions on very little information and general observation of the race.... sorry if I pissed anyone off.

I hope it was at least an interesting conversation!

cheers,
Patrick
While everyone else was saying it was a dumb move by Ferrari, M3Pete saw through what was really happening and called it out for what it actually was. Like I said before, it was a great read.

Patrick -- I've been reading this board for quite a while now and I've learned alot about F1. I don't think there is a need to appologise, Pete knows his stuff. Another plus is that he keeps A. Wayne honest with his somewhat "inciteful" posts No need to response A. Wayne, just joking.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:02 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
While everyone else was saying it was a dumb move by Ferrari, M3Pete saw through what was really happening and called it out for what it actually was. Like I said before, it was a great read.

Patrick -- I've been reading this board for quite a while now and I've learned alot about F1. I don't think there is a need to appologise, Pete knows his stuff. Another plus is that he keeps A. Wayne honest with his somewhat "inciteful" posts No need to response A. Wayne, just joking.
I have been watching and interested in F1 for 20+ years and I am still honestly shocked and surprised at Ferrari's choice and the actions by the FIA...

What an "interesting" season...

cheers,
Patrick

Quick Reply: Fuji F1