Electric or Hydraulic Surge Brakes on Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting to note that in some states, a 102" wide trailer is not legal, only 96" allowed.....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone needs a Prodigy controller let me know.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
If anyone needs a Prodigy controller let me know.
Cayennes don't like Prodigy controllers?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks pretty nice. Strange that it does not show the whole tung but it looks to me like an electric controller behind the jack? It has the aluminum wheels which are nice. If you buy it, get a spare tire (or two) and a carrier to mount them to the trailer. +1 on talking to Karl, great guy. Also, it looks naked without a tire rack Good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 PM
catchacab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the surge brakes on my trailex. You won't have any electrical gremlins that many have had with electric brakes.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

NJ requires anything over 3k requires brakes. I am running Electrics on my trailer because thats what it came with. I also own 20 trailers that have surge brakes in my rental fleet. I can go either way. Boat trailers that have surge brakes that don't work is a result of poor maintenance i.e. corrosion.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
Thanks for making this so easy for me! 100X better than calling the DMV!

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Looks pretty nice. Strange that it does not show the whole tung but it looks to me like an electric controller behind the jack? ......+1 on talking to Karl, great guy.
I called Carl (Karl?) at Trailex. Man were you guys right, this fella was exceptionally helpful...even when I told him I had a lead on a used one. You are right Arkadi, it is indeed an electric brake unit. Carl told me the HS in the model number is an old designation that stood for High Strength and not Hydraulic Surge as I thought. It is also a model from the 90's...he could tell by the ramp length. It appeared to Carl that the axles are in the position closer to the tail end which is what is appropriate for a tail heavy 911. Carl goes on to say that if by chance I located a used trailer and it is in the other axle position they offer, further from the tail end, I should call him and he'd give me instructions on repositioning the axle. Again....the fella couldn't do enough for me and he knew I might not even buy a new trailer!

I also inquired about a new trailer. Carl definitely sweetens the purchase for us PCA folks. I'll consider new if something used doesn't work out. Trailex is also only a couple hundred miles from me which is quite nice.

If you buy it, get a spare tire (or two) and a carrier to mount them to the trailer.
Good suggestion. Thanks.

Also, it looks naked without a tire rack
So the tire rack is kind of like lingerie? This trailer stuff sounds fun

Mike
Old 09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

LOL! I guess you could consider the tire rack a bra I am going to be looking at it in a whole new light while towing to Mid O tomorrow!

If you can get that used one at a good price do it as used Trailex are very hard to find. If not, new will be North of 7K but they hold their value well.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by catchacab
Love the surge brakes on my trailex. You won't have any electrical gremlins that many have had with electric brakes.

haha, the lights are still electric though

I run ATE blue in my Trailex
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

A lot of this relies on what your tow vehicle is. My 3500 dually is able to stop fine (not as well but fine) even if the trailer brakes stop working, this is towing a 2 car open steel trailer total rig at 9 tons.

On a small SUV I think I'd prefer surge brakes because if something fails in the trailer electrical and you lose brakes, chances are you won't be able to stop. My definition of small SUV is Tahoe or less.

Trailer electrical systems are the most annoying systems on the planet. Blown bulbs, bad grounds, unreliable plugs, inconsistent colors, etc.....
Old 09-27-2007, 12:07 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Yeah, you can't purchase a used trailex without calling Carl and finding out exactly what you need to know to get the most use of your trailer.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I am curious as to how the Trailex surge trailers don't effect your backing ability especially if you are backing up any kind of grade. Does anybody know how the trailer knows the difference between backing and slowing down?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 AM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on the Trailex, but the surge brakes on my friend's boat trailer has a solenoid (electric release valve?) which relieves the hydraulic pressure. Trailer has a 5-pin connector. 5th wire goes to the back-up lights - when vehicle is put in reverse, the solenoid opens to relieve brakes and you can back up, even uphill, etc.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

just goes to prove once again, there are a lot of people out there much smarter than I am.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess I'm late to the party... But have had great luck with the surge brakes on my used trailex - of course, when I bought it I had to replace the master cylinder, damper, brake lines and wheel cylinders...

BTW, I believe it's the damper that helps in backing up (at least on the old ones). It's a little shock absorber to smooth out the master cylinder action - you have to be going really fast in reverse or backing up a pretty steep hill before the brakes actuate.

I've also delt with Ken Montgomery at Trailex for parts and advice and found him to also be a top-notch guy.

Quick Reply: Electric or Hydraulic Surge Brakes on Trailer