Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 PM
trailex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT'S CARL @ TRAILEX. THANKS FOR THE NICE COMMENTS. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN A TRAILEX GO TO WWW.TRAILEX.COM WE ARE RUNNING A 15% OFF SALE! INVENTORY REDUCTION. SAVINGS ON AVERAGE $850.00!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by trailex
IT'S CARL @ TRAILEX. THANKS FOR THE NICE COMMENTS. IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN A TRAILEX GO TO WWW.TRAILEX.COM WE ARE RUNNING A 15% OFF SALE! INVENTORY REDUCTION. SAVINGS ON AVERAGE $850.00!
I was just about to state this for you Carl. This is Chris from your favorite Canadian dealer in Ottawa.

As for brakes, electric or surge both work. Surge cost more up front, cost more to service (more moving parts, more expensive parts, fluid etc.) and offer decreased performance. There is little adjustability and no adjustability on the fly. They are found most often in rental fleets and boat trailers.

Electric on the other hand, are cheaper, cheaper to maintain and repair (normally wires rather than brake lines), parts are cheaper and they are adjustable on the fly. Just be sure to buy a decent inertia controller not a cheap POS which uses time to increase brake application.

My company sells trailers. Lots of them as in hundreds a year. I know we have not sold more than 5 trailers last year with surge brakes. I think the ratio of electric to surge is over 100:1.

I have a boat trailer with surge brakes, use our rental trailers occasionally and I greatly prefer electric.

Now if the deal is absolutely smokin' there is no reason surge brakes cannot be replaced with electric but it is much easier to stick with one system or another. Be sure the surge brake coupler functions, and it, as well as the master cylinder are not damaged.

As for moving the axles, we did that for a customer earlier this summer. Granted it was the first time my guys have done it but it took a few hours and a bit of screwing around. The frame has to be notched a little.

The Trailex is a great trailer. We're very happy to have picked them up as a supplier. Carl isn't a bad guy either.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
trailex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chris, we sell more surge than electric brakes, about 80% to 20%. Like all things there are good and bad for each. We let the customers decide after we give then general info on each. Anyone in Canada will want to go to Chris for Trailex trailers.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by trailex
Chris, we sell more surge than electric brakes, about 80% to 20%. Like all things there are good and bad for each. We let the customers decide after we give then general info on each. Anyone in Canada will want to go to Chris for Trailex trailers.
That's an interesting statistic. I would agree there are pros and cons to each system.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Tom N
Instructor

I just took delivery of a Trailex this Wednesday with electric brakes. My Saturday project is adding the wiring harness and a Prodigy brake contoller to an 03 Range Rover. I will then hook up the trailer for test drive (this is my first trailer experience), and then load the GT3 and balance the trailer.

Carl was great to work with, and very helpful with questions and tips on how to set up the trailer. Fast service as well. Delivered 10 days from order.

Quick Reply: Electric or Hydraulic Surge Brakes on Trailer