Sponsored by:

Advise needed on suits

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:10 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Advise needed on suits

I currently have a mid grade Sparco 3 layer suit and while it's fine below about 80 or so it's a real cooker above that.

I went to the CDOC store at VIR this weekend and talked to the rep there about the possibility of getting a 2 layer suit that is light weight and cooler. His reccomendation , which I'm sure has some merit, is that you get what you pay for and the lightest 3 layer suits (~$1300) are actually the most comfortable and breathable.

I'd like the opinions / reccomendations of those who have bought a suit with the express idea of getting one that offered maximum breathability and still legal. (I know about the Stand 21's but I dont want to spend +2G).

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thier Pro 2 layer 3.2/5 and REALLY love it.
http://www.leafracewear.com/index.htm
http://www.leafracewear.com/pdf/LeafCatPg1.pdf
For the kind of money your talking you can get a custom tailored suit with a nice style or buy a standard suit and save 3-400
After you look around give Paul Latella a call, he will fix you up. (800) 731-7735
and yes they really do sponsor a Porsche Club Racer ME!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have the Sparco X-Light which I like, but I think the solution to your problem is probably a cool shirt system. My suit is one of the lightest around but I still fry in it. I'm going cool shirt for next season.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Sparco Xlite also, and find it great. I'm still warm in 100 degree weather, but probably cooler than others I see in heavier suits.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I actaully went with a two layer suit from Alpinestars. The biggest reason I went wtih the two layer was the fact that it was roughly the weight and bulk as the super light 3 layers suits at about half the price. It was still FIA 8856-2000 rated too. I'm still toasty when sitting in the sun on grid but once I'm going it's just fine. No cool suit for me.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

STAY WITH A 3 LAYER SUIT!! Do not cheat yourself out of protection!!

Cool shirt (plus helmet blower if your helmet can accommodat eit) is probably the very best return for the dollar you can spend on race gear. Take if from someone who sweats A LOT, even in my X-Light.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

X-light is the way to go for a cool 3-layer suit, if there is such a thing. It is honestly the best suit I have worn and is rated for great fire protection. The difference in price of the Xlight verses 2 layers suits is more than made up for in the extra protection it offers. I were mine with long underwear underneath it and it never seems to hot in the car during a 50 minute or 2 hour stint.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Sorry I've been tied up this am...

VR - I agree that if you're going to get another why skimp on protection but I was wondering if a 2 layer suit and fire retardant underwear might be a better option???

Seth- Did I understand your post that you wear a 3 layer suit AND fire retardant underwear??

On the F1 grid before a race you see the drivers in their fire retardant underwear and a suit. Are they doing what I think Seth said he's doing??
Old 09-26-2007, 11:36 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The difference in burn time protection was less than two seconds over the equal priced 3 layers with my suit IIRC and then I went a bought better albeit slightly bulkier underwear which added to the burn time. Overall the burn time was as good as the top suits for a much better price. I can't find the chart but the burn times, however for even the best suits was ridiculously short before you started to see 2nd degree burns.

Here's a chart that shows what the SFI ratings mean

http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/24.pdf

A SFI-3.2A/5 protects you from second degree burns for more than 10 but less than 19 seconds. All 2 and 3 layer suits I looked at were 3.2A/5 rated and had similar TPP ratings(when I could find them). The 3.2A/10 and above rated suits I have only seen sold on sites with drag racers as their main customer base.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
I have thier Pro 2 layer 3.2/5 and REALLY love it.
http://www.leafracewear.com/index.htm
http://www.leafracewear.com/pdf/LeafCatPg1.pdf
For the kind of money your talking you can get a custom tailored suit with a nice style or buy a standard suit and save 3-400
After you look around give Paul Latella a call, he will fix you up. (800) 731-7735
and yes they really do sponsor a Porsche Club Racer ME!!!

Bill thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Yup, 3 layer suit + fire retardant underwear (my cool shirt is fire retardant as well). That is how I roll, too. I would rather have more than enough fire protection than not enough.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Seth- Did I understand your post that you wear a 3 layer suit AND fire retardant underwear??

On the F1 grid before a race you see the drivers in their fire retardant underwear and a suit. Are they doing what I think Seth said he's doing??
Yes that is what I do and that is what F1 drivers do. From what I was told the FIA approval includes the use of fire retardant underwear. Without the underwear in place then the approval is not met. I had rather not take my chances on this for the savings of a couple hundred dollars so I wear long underwear under my suit at all times.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suit layers aside, During the driver's meeting last weekend, I heard that there were recalls or some sort of thing wrong with certain suits melting? Anyone have more info on this?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JC3D
Suit layers aside, During the driver's meeting last weekend, I heard that there were recalls or some sort of thing wrong with certain suits melting? Anyone have more info on this?
http://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal/...it-warning.pdf
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

For those of you wearing fire resistent underwear, are you waring long sleeve and long trouser versions?

Quick Reply: Advise needed on suits