Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
For those of you wearing fire resistent underwear, are you waring long sleeve and long trouser versions?
I have all long leg for the pants, for the top I have one that is short and the rest long sleeve.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

For those of you wearing fire resistent underwear, are you waring long sleeve and long trouser versions?
I like my boys to be free....so I am wearing short sleeve tops & boxer-style bottoms.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 199 Posts

Cool Shirt !!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:59 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I like my boys to be free....so I am wearing short sleeve tops & boxer-style bottoms.
I don't think I know you that well for you to be telling me what "your boys" like...

Actually, I didn't think they made boxers... What brand are they? (I guess we do know eachother well enough to be discussing this, oh well)
Old 09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sparco. They go down to mid thigh, with elastic. Very comfy, and they add protection to all my critical parts.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I've been warned not to wear cotton underwear with a fire resistant suit because cotton will not wick away perspiration, which can turn to steam in a fire. (Actually, I think it's not steam but rather a matter of damp cotton transferring heat all to well and not insulating as well as fire resistant underwear and an air gap.) In any event, I respect the fellow who told me this so I'm inclined to get proper fire resistant underwear. Clearly the more full coverage, the better, but with a 3.2/5 suit it's not exactly required, hence my query.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I've been warned not to wear cotton underwear with a fire resistant suit because cotton will not wick away perspiration, which can turn to steam in a fire. (Actually, I think it's not steam but rather a matter of damp cotton transferring heat all to well and not insulating as well as fire resistant underwear and an air gap.)
In any event, I respect the fellow who told me this so I'm inclined to get proper fire resistant underwear. Clearly the more full coverage, the better, but with a 3.2/5 suit it's not exactly required, hence my query.
It's not required but one must realize that 3.2A/5 suit only gives you a whopping 10-19 seconds of protection from second degree burns. Certain underwear can add a good percentage of time to that.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
It's not required but one must realize that 3.2A/5 suit only gives you a whopping 10-19 seconds of protection from second degree burns. Certain underwear can add a good percentage of time to that.

That's a good point, especially after watching Max Angelli at Miller a few weeks ago. That was scary!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Install a drink bottle so you can stay hydrated and stay with the three piece suit. You might sweat and be uncomfortable but the extra seconds of protection could be critical if it really goes bad on you. Also, how uncomfortable do you think you'll be in the burn ward for a couple of months versus an hour or so in the fire suit? I concur also with the don't wear cotton underneath the suit or polyester for that matter. one will parboil you and the other will melt into your skin. Only wear the fire resistant stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

One of the best and safest things you can do is invest in a Cool Shirt system no matter what type of suit and underwear you use. Our customers say their Cool Shirt is worth its weight in gold. The suit will probably last longer too with a cooling system as you aren't sweating in it as much. Here's a link to their site that explains what heat can do to the body.

http://www.coolshirt.net/

I've also seen video from Dupont at the SCCA convention about fire suits, and the burning time between different layered suits is mere seconds. Nomex underwear is another good safety precaution but it does get hot, especially if you are in a sedan-type vehicle.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

i love my 3 layer alpinestar
Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

deffinate on the cool shirt in va and nc
Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Cool shirts and suits are great until they malfunction. Then they trap even more heat. Fortunately, they're getting more reliable, but in the early days I'd usually choose to chuck it.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by srf506
Install a drink bottle so you can stay hydrated and stay with the three piece suit. You might sweat and be uncomfortable but the extra seconds of protection could be critical if it really goes bad on you. Also, how uncomfortable do you think you'll be in the burn ward for a couple of months versus an hour or so in the fire suit? I concur also with the don't wear cotton underneath the suit or polyester for that matter. one will parboil you and the other will melt into your skin. Only wear the fire resistant stuff.
+1
Old 09-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
They go down to mid thigh...
TMI

Quick Reply: Advise needed on suits