Sponsored by:

Octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007 | 06:34 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
"Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. "

From all of the in cylinder pressure analysis we've done, peak cylinder pressure is long gone by 20 degrees ATDC as the piston is accelerating well away from the flame front.
quite!

That unattributed article is hugely misleading and sets out misleading formulae, for example, it should be -
(R + M) / 2

However given its origins, I would expect nothing less.

There is another side to the octane question and that is the quality of the fuel station. Many gas stations have diry leaky tanks, sometimes by accident or poor maintenance, sometimes its deliberate.

There is ample empirical evidence to support the hypothesis that the gas supplied by newly established gas stations performs better than possibly higher octane rated gas form older and more distant stations.

In my experience, the modern ECU does adjust to higher octane gas

R+C
Old 09-25-2007 | 11:16 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

"higher octane burns slower. this allows you to advance timing ---> HP."

This is not exactly a simple nor accurate statement. Increasing the ignition timing may give you more HP, IF, and only IF you can move the peak cylinder pressure to 12-14 degrees ATDC (whatever is optimum for an engine combination), AND assuming that it is not currently there on your given fuel. Simply advancing the ignition timing INCREASES the pumping losses because it starts the combustion process while the piston is still moving towards TDC. This is not desirable...
Geoffrey,

Dependant on engine combination , BY 20 deg you should already have achieved peak cylinder pressures , you state 12-14 , i guess you are talking about your experiences with 911 engines ..
Old 09-25-2007 | 11:43 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

My experiences run well beyond 911 air cooled engines.
Old 09-25-2007 | 12:07 PM
dblapex
Instructor

what is the difference in Exhaust Gas Temperature and Air Fuel Ratio between 93 and 100 oct. I am assuming you ran AFR when on the Dyno and that should be the key to if you need 100 octane or not.
Old 09-25-2007 | 12:10 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I received the following private message from A Wayne - does he work for Blackwater - should I be worried?

the text of a threatening private message has been removed at the request of the web master.

R+C

Last edited by Nordschleife; 09-26-2007 at 07:46 AM. Reason: I published a private message threatening me, apparently that is 'wrong'
Old 09-25-2007 | 12:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I received the following private message from A Wayne - does he work for Blackwater - should I be worried?

R+C

PM sent

I will not bend to your level and show the crap you send me offline , move on ....this is silly
Old 09-25-2007 | 01:10 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

EGTs will vary with ignition timing, AFR, and cylinder pressure. AFR has little to do with determing the need for higher octane fuel. The ignition timing and cylinder pressure as well as where the peak is will give you an idea of what octane may be ideal for a given engine combination. Just as an aside note, I run my 12:1 compression RSR engine with very large camshafts on 93 octane Mobil street fuel I get at my local fuel station. The engine produces within 4hp of the best factory RSR sprint engine with slide valves I have ever tested and that engien ran on 110 octane and was higher compression than my engine.
Old 09-25-2007 | 11:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Just as an aside note, I run my 12:1 compression RSR engine with very large camshafts on 93 octane Mobil street fuel I get at my local fuel station. The engine produces within 4hp of the best factory RSR sprint engine with slide valves I have ever tested and that engien ran on 110 octane and was higher compression than my engine.
Is your secret all in the engine mapping? How do you explain the performance similarity on different gas? What trade offs was the factory making that you aren't, etc?
Old 09-26-2007 | 09:20 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

My engine has technology that is 10 years newer than the factory had at the time they produced the RSR. It has heads that are more efficient in their construction and ports that have a much better design, and a combustion chamber that carefully controls the piston to head clearance. This makes it more efficient. I have camshafts that I designed which have much better valve control and therefore can run lighter springs. If I ran 100 octane, I would be able to pick up power for sure, so running 93 is a compromise in power vs running cost. I still have areas of improvement like running the factory RSR headers over the cheap stuff I have in there now. I'm also working on a new piston and connecting rod combination to reduce weight and reduce the rod/stroke ratio and fix the terrible designed Mahle RSR pistons.

I hope this helps...
Old 09-26-2007 | 12:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

no, the lower octane gas has a higher energy potenial. the higher octane allows for higher compression, advanced timing and other things to more than make up for the lower energy potential. the octane, as was mentioned, reduces detonation, and by causing a slower burn rate.

mk

Originally Posted by silver44
This is what I understand about gasolines. The higher the octance the higher energy content, lower octance ignites at a lower temperature and this is why running a lower octane in a higher compression car causes that pinging you hear. Its predetonation. A higher octance takes more heat to ignite thats why it is more suitable for higher comression cars...not that it burns slower. Burn a higher octane (with higher BTU content) more completely (with a higher compression engine) - you get more energy (more power to the rear wheels). I had asked the same question previously and this the answer I got with regards to running 100 compared with 93 in a car that is rated for 93.

The BTU content varies from station to station and even to load of gas to load of gas. To ensure that you are getting every bit of BTUs your car can use, run the 100 octane. All it does is eliminate a small variable in your equation. Will you see a difference? Probably not and for the extra 3 dollars per gallon, ($1200) that's 6 new tires...think of all of the grip that will buy! A whole lot more performance that what ever negliable benefit you might get from a higher octance.

just my $0.02
Old 09-26-2007 | 01:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Higher octane fuel does not have a slower burn rate. That is controlled by factors other than octane number.
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:28 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
Higher octane fuel does not have a slower burn rate. That is controlled by factors other than octane number.
Exactly. Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation - nothing more and nothing less.

Some higher octane fuels have more energy, some less. Some burn faster, some slower. That is not a function of Octane.

One reason there is so much misunderstanding about octane is that one person does a test and then tries to generalize the results to octane rating.
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:34 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

well, generally, that is what detonation is, a burn rate that is too fast \
But, i do understand your point here.

mk

Originally Posted by Geo
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:39 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by mark kibort
well, generally, that is what detonation is, a burn rate that is too fast \
But, i do understand your point here.

mk
Actually detonation is not a burn rate that is too fast.

It's been a while since I've looked up the engineering/scientific definition of detonation, but that is NOT it. It's similar but not the same.
Old 09-26-2007 | 04:45 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Burn (rate) is when you have a flame front that progresses across the combustion chamber. Detonation is when all (or some) of the A/F charge explodes - there is no flame front in that case.

A faster burn rate will tend to case higher pressures and may lead to detonation, but there is more to it.

BTW - I am probably the only person on this forum to have operated the test engine and done octane ratings. The original test had a certain set of operating conditions (air temps, water temps, etc). When more vehicles started using automatic transmissions, those conditions were not appropriate so another set of test conditions were developed. The original was Motor Octane Number and the latter was Research Octane Number (MON and RON). What we have not is an average of the two. You can have two fuels of the same "Octane" (RON + MON /2) that perform differently in different cars because those cars do not operate very close to the test conditions.

Quick Reply: Octane