FSR DE @ VIR Sept 22-24

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Didn't pass me either Eddie, time to wake up

Actually, I don't remember a single car ever passing me.
Dell. . . have you run out of your medications again?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted and David,

Thanks for the well-wishes. Glad to hear from Ted, John, and Mike T during the weekend to hear how things were going, but really sucked being here hearing about how things were going. Spent Sunday afternoon flipping between the Nascar and Koni Challenge races.

Everybody else,

I've gotten and logged several complaints about two cars in red. This is just more ammunition for my contention that the upper run groups should be separated by driver ability/car capability/lap times not by whether or not you are an instructor. Ability aside, the difference in speed has grown wider in just the four years I have been involved in this. A cup car and a 914 should not be in the same run group. I don't care how much tenure the 914 driver has. I know that several other regions divide their drivers this way, Potomac for one.

Anyway, I am glad you guys had fun, sorry about the missing T-shirts, and I will try to sort the run groups better (read move tractors to the green group) next time.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 PM
FrankyD
AutoX

Default Videos of this weekends DE

Hello everybody, I was the short notice registrar for the event and also was the very loud sports racer in the blue run group. I had a ball and only had to give a point by once all weekend when I missed a shift. My first time out in the car and my best full course laps were 2'20". I definately had no problem getting the pass from the GT3 in our group. Heres some videos, the first video has some audio bugs so just ignore them,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mWAhDTeYqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVG4_2GE8Q4

After a great weekend, on the drive home some redneck in a f250 rearended my trailer while I was sitting in traffic at a traffic light. Damaged the tow hitch, trailer, and the diasio sports racer has a busted fiberglass nose, front crush box, ripped the tow points off the bottom of the car and the suspension looks tweaked front and rear.
At least the season is basically over.

Last edited by FrankyD; 09-25-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 PM
str8ner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dell,

I only ran with you at the last session as I am in the black group. I was driving a white GT3. I was catching up to you when you decided to pit in. May be that's why nobody got a chance to pass you!

may be next time,

Stephan
Old 09-26-2007, 12:01 AM
MLIN
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankyD
After a great weekend, on the drive home some redneck in a f250 rearended my trailer while I was sitting in traffic at a traffic light. Damaged the tow hitch, trailer, and the diasio sports racer has a busted fiberglass nose, front crush box, ripped the tow points off the bottom of the car and the suspension looks tweaked front and rear.
At least the season is basically over.
Sorry to hear that. That is one hell of a way to finish an event. Good luck with the repair.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 AM
EVO8LTW
5th Gear

I had a great time this weekend on all 3 days. I was in the white Evo in white group. This was only my second event in this car and I had some teething issues to work out with intercooler hoses that didn't want to stay put and some tire pressure/sway bar issues to work out, but once we got to the full course it was smooth sailing for me.

I thought the event was well run, folks were courteous on and off the track, and it was a very enjoyable time.

Traffic was a definite issue on the South track, but once we got to full I had lots of clear track. On each of my sessions on the full course, I started at the front of the line and got 4-5 clear laps before I had anyone in front or behind me, which was really nice.

I only got lap times on the first 5 laps of my last session on the full course, which ranged from a high 2:18 (first lap on cool tires) to a 2:20 and everything in between. I think I'm happy with that on street tires, though I'd like to have another shot at the track with some RA1s or other sticky tire. Hats off to the Evo though for being very efficient at putting power down on less than super grippy rubber. My car makes 315 at the wheels, but it came off the corners hard enough to make it seem like more.

I hope to see some of the folks I met again. I was pleased with both this PCA event and the Schattembaum (hope I spelled that right) Summit Point event I did a few weeks before.

To all those who helped organize, thanks for a great weekend.

RichJ
04 Evo
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

FrankyD - Great job filling in for Don as registrar. Things seemed to flow really well. Sorry to hear about your misfortune on the way home.

My apologies to those of you that had to distinct pleasure of hearing the green and purple 944 that I ran in white and my son ran in blue. We had the open exhaust plugged for Saturday but the muffler decided to separate from the pipe on my first run on Sunday. Believe me it was worse in the car.

This was our first time out in the car and outside of a brake caliper issue that came up on my first run Saturday the car did great. New engine pulled strong and consistant all weekend.

I had ben joking with my son for the past few months about putting a "farm use only plate" on the rear of the car...............I am now thankful for my procrastination.

I know Carrera Mike took a lot of pictures of the weekend. Hopefully he can get them posted.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stisseront
Dell,

I only ran with you at the last session as I am in the black group. I was driving a white GT3. I was catching up to you when you decided to pit in. May be that's why nobody got a chance to pass you!

may be next time,

Stephan

Stephan, ah you crazy guy! You crack me up. You probably were catching up b/c of the running chicane of slower cars I had to navigate.

Had to pit b/c I forgot to put enough fuel in the car so that lap you were "catching up" was my cool down lap

In all seriousness though, when we did have some clear track I saw you consistently at roughly the same place lap after lap so we definitely need to run together sometime. Running by yourself is no fun. Much better when you have a wingman to have with
Old 09-26-2007, 08:13 AM
FrankyD
AutoX

Default street tire FTD!

EVO8LTW,
Those must be sticky street tires!
2:18 on street tires must be a track record, I imagine you meant 2:28 for your warm up lap.

My average full course lap was in the 2'23" range, best 2'20", I wanted to break into the teens but it just wasn't there when I reviewd my times. South course had too much traffic, but the few times I got clean runs I was in the 1'22" - 1'24" range.

I have some work to do. I looked on Nasa and the full course diasio record is Jason Lisner at 2'11" and change.

Ted A, Thanks and I never noticed your loud exhaust over my own.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 AM
Paul Thomas
2nd Gear

Great event. Changing to full course after two days really mixes it up nicely. This was my first time driving south course and i loved it. Met some good people, I am looking forward to next time.

Paul
Old 09-26-2007, 09:39 AM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Running by yourself is no fun. Much better when you have a wingman to have with
Stephan and I usally run together ... except I had to pit ... I lost my sunglasses earlier... found them after 2 laps...by my pedals ..doh! Although he is about 1/2-1 sec faster a lap
Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Ryan, did you have 2 different colored rims? Something like black in front and silver in rear or something like that?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:14 AM
RedLS6
1st Gear

Hi all,

As always, I had a great time running with FSR. I had the red C5 Z06 in White, #93. I missed running with some of you guys from the Black Group DE this past Spring, but I started this DE in White and decided to stay there since traffic was very light. We had some great laps! I had a few 2.09's, corded a rear, swapped tires, and fought understeer all afternoon due to some suspension issues.

I have most of the White group on video, will post it up once I download it. TedR, I was replaying my video and your exhaust totally drowned out mine on the vid EVO8LTW, you were flying - your car pulls very hard on the straights for only 315rwhp. Nice driving on those street tires.

Thanks for putting on a great event, will see you guys again at the next one.

Chris M
2002 Z06
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM
911Brian
AutoX

Default Had a great time!

This was my second DE and it was a blast! Now I know why they say it is like crack. All it takes is one time and your hooked.

I want to say thanks to Dell! He was a GREAT instructor and I learned tons from him. Also wanted to say thanks for allowing me to go solo for my last session. That was a blast!

Look forward to doing it again!

Brian
Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Brian you were a pleasure to instruct. It makes our job as an instructor so easy when we have students that WANT to learn and take instruction well. You inputs are extremely smooth and you awareness of the car and it's control is on par with the higher run groups advanced drivers. Just keep working on that H/T shifting and before you know it you'll be flying around the track with the best of 'em!

Feel free to email or PM me anytime if you any questions or want to hook up again as student/instructor at VIR again.

Quick Reply: FSR DE @ VIR Sept 22-24