Sponsored by:

FSR DE @ VIR Sept 22-24

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:52 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FSR DE @ VIR Sept 22-24

I can't go! Mammit!!! This is the first First Settlers Region DE I have missed since my first one in September of 2003. My wife had a frame-off restoration of her left foot 6 weeks ago and I must stay home to take care of her. She is still on crutches/walker/wheelchair. I'm thinking I can spend the weekend mounting a Husquevarna chainsaw motor to the wheelchair so she and I can race it up and down our street.

To those who are going, please post your pictures, video links, and stories here. Frank Insley will be covering for me as Registrar. Say thanks to him.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 PM
aam993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Don, sorry to hear that. The priorities are clear, though.

Thank you for being a great Registrar!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just came back from a great 3 day event. It was my first time running in an open passing situation (Red) and I was a little apprehensive at first but then I realized BKS was not going to be able to make it and it was OK (j/k).

A few offs but nothing serious (by others). Had a great student who really clicked on the second day and made great progress.

For me the highlight was when I passed some 997 GT3's.. Yeah baby !! Of course we won't talk about how much faster the Cup cars were...;-)

Thanks Damian & crew for making it happen !
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How'd I get sucked into this???

Old 09-24-2007, 11:05 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Eddie, "some" 997 GT3's in Red? I was driving the white #97 car in Red and I don't remember seeing anything come past me...what were you driving?

Last edited by VB997; 09-26-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

There was at least one gray 997 GT3 that I passed on several ocassions as well as an occassional 996 3.

John, I meant to find you and congratulate you on your driving. You were clearly the fastest non race car out there. Clearly most of the GT3's were faster than me but I have to take little victories when I can...

I was driving the #81 S2 in my avatar
Old 09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
How'd I get sucked into this???

I was trying to find the "you can pass me now waiver" at registration but they must have run out...

As a first time participant in the open passing situation I am now a convert. From my point of view the session flowed much more smoothley and forced me to expand my situational awareness both in front and behind me. Even on the South course which was much more conjested (and perhaps because of it) being allowed to pass in a short straight (assuming you were given a point by) kept the pace fairly brisk.

The only down side was trying to make a pass in a shorter straight with a lower HP car meant that sometimes I approached the corner off line which in retrospect was another good learning tool. It also forced me to make my approach to the car I wanted to pass much more critical in ordr to maintain my momentum so that I came up to him with all the speed I could muster at just the right time.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad you liked the open passing... Spread the word... It's good stuff...
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Didn't pass me either Eddie, time to wake up

Actually, I don't remember a single car ever passing me.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The event was great except for all the LOSER DISHONEST *****'S that attended the event. Those of us that only made it for monday didn't get our "event shirt" b/c of the sticky hand dishonest ****** that know who they are taking more than one. Shame on y'all
Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Had a blast. In black we had a nice group of 997 GT3's running up front together. Made for some fun driving 'til we hit traffic, then the pack split up.

John...many thanks for the loaning of the Hoosiers for 2 sessions. What a difference they make over the Toyos. Once I changed the front bar for the second session car turned in nicely. Had to adjust to the tire..I could brake 150ft deeper with them! Never pushed "real" hard while trying to find their limits, but did turn a 2:11 on them (personal best). Same lap Stephan turned a high 2:09 (his persoanl best) and T. Roy probably did a mid 2:12. Thanks again!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:27 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don

Statistical analysis revealed that number of yellow flags was 50% lower than previous events you attended.....

Seriously, you were greatly missed.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
David in VA
Instructor

Sorry you weren't able to make it Don, it was a great weekend. Hope your wife recovers quickly so we can see you out there again soon.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVDell
Didn't pass me either Eddie, time to wake up

Actually, I don't remember a single car ever passing me.
Dell I think you did pass me once or twice on Monday but there was a session or two in which you didn't... so your're not that much faster given the HP difference...

The CDOC and green cup cars were faster than everything on the track by a wide margin. Maybe you just blinked and they passed you without realizing...(J/K all in good fun...)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I tried to run with them for about 2 whole laps and then realized there was 6-7 seconds of difference in lap times so I gave up. Nice thing is that the three of us went out 1,2,3 in the group so once they pulled away I had clear laps for the entire session! WAHOO!!!!

Quick Reply: FSR DE @ VIR Sept 22-24