Sponsored by:

Info Needed on Building '00 Boxter into F-Stock

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:05 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian20
Primary reason is overall safety. While I am not fast I am going faster and I like the idea of a purpose built cage that is designed to maximize internal dimensions. No complaint on the bolt in I just want a little more. The car has been on a rather severe diet and the addition of the cage and deletion of the soft top and assorted bits will yield additional savings. FG skin being installed for top. Once I pull it out I will maike it available at fire sale $$ for anyone that can find a good home for it, fellow club member did the same for me.
Christian-

If possible please take some pics of the cage build out.
I have an '03 S and was thinking of converting it into a track car (If my wife will let me) someday as I absolutely love how the car handles and the extra 50 or so HP over my S2 would be nice too!

I would also be interested in what weight you can get the car down to and what you had to do to get there. PM me if you'd rather.
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cage

Eddie:

racers rule number one: It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I will put together image archieve. This weekend I am plumbing in lift at my office and sorting out trailer for Sebring.

Cheers
Old 09-08-2007, 11:11 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian20
Eddie:

racers rule number one: It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Some times that works for me but when it doesn't, well...

I will put together image archieve. This weekend I am plumbing in lift at my office and sorting out trailer for Sebring.

Cheers
I just bought a lift for my new garqage.... I never thought of putting it in my office... guess I didn't have enough height to do it there
Old 09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Default Christian

once the lift is in, you can be my new mechanic, seeing that all the others still can't get me car to run. I can then send you and your wife thousands of dollars per month.
Chad
Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Default accepting new clients

Originally Posted by Brinkley
once the lift is in, you can be my new mechanic, seeing that all the others still can't get me car to run. I can then send you and your wife thousands of dollars per month.
Chad
Well my lift is in need to tidy a few things so Chad whenever you are ready I can start cashing your checks My build not as extensive as yours.....

However I can offer shop ac, beverages, music, and if my other friends have their way a s-pole.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:19 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Christian,
Are you building your Boxster for F Class? If so, what do you think it would cost to build one into a competitive car? Assuming doner is stock.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 PM
lurker
4th Gear

Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if removing the factory soft top and motors is legal in F Stock? It seems this would almost have to be done to install the cage and would nicely remove some weight (and allow to recoup some build cost).

Second question how much rubber can fit under the Boxter? 245/275?

Also why are the shocks so expensive for Boxter/Cayman? Moton doubles are $7k :O ! Is there something inherently complicated in the suspension design?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lurker
Thanks for all the info. Does anyone know if removing the factory soft top and motors is legal in F Stock? It seems this would almost have to be done to install the cage and would nicely remove some weight (and allow to recoup some build cost).

Also why are the shocks so expensive for Boxter/Cayman? Moton doubles are $7k :O ! Is there something inherently complicated in the suspension design?
I have no idea if it is legal or not to remove the soft top and motors, but I have the safety devices cage, and it accommodates the soft top. If you are having a custom cage built, I see no reason why it couldn't also allow the soft top usage. During installation, you definitely will need to remove the soft top and motors though.

Also, even if you remove the soft top and motors, I don't think you'll actually save weight unless you run with no top at all. If you put the hard top on, you will gain back all of the weight of the soft top and motors (or so I have been told)

For amount of rubber you can run... I've heard of people getting as much as 265 up front and 295 in the back. You may need to slightly roll the fender for this, but it really depends on the offsets of your wheels.

On the shocks... No idea why they are so pricey. My guess is that the number of Boxster owners who want an improved suspension are probably less than 100. Given that there is very little demand for these products, it costs quite a bit for them to essentially custom make something for us. Again, that's just a guess.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:35 PM
bsr_257
Rennlist Member

The soft top interfered with my custom cage installation, yanked it out. Pretty hard to use that argument for the motor... It's still in on my car, use it to raise the mini decklid.

Max. width for stock would be 8.5"F/10"R. Since the R6 tends to run fairly wide, I use 245/275. I know that I could shoehorn a 255 up front, no way a 285 will fit in the rear with my set-up. Damn spring perch gets in the way

With the Boxster (and also the TT), you basically end up with two pairs of front struts. Hence the added cost. I have the Clubsports, the nice thing is quick disconnects on both front and rear

Also, give Dave Bottom at Arlan Motorsports a call. He has worked on quite a few Boxsters out on the West Coast. He will have to send you some parts for the Motons.

Last edited by bsr_257; 09-20-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Piggy was being stoopid
Old 09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Christian,
Are you building your Boxster for F Class? If so, what do you think it would cost to build one into a competitive car? Assuming doner is stock.
Not exactly, think of it as more of sleeper outlaw with a few interesting bits yet to come. FG hardtop just arived, very light and cage to be built after October RRR event. First outing will likely be 48-hours Sebring, non-race class.

Once all is sorted and I bend, push, and break all the rules I can possibly find I will determine which class it would run in. The likely answer is the one I do not want to hear but thats how it goes.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I talked to Moton and the reason is the cayman / boxter has struts on all 4 corners, where the 911's just have struts in the front. Also, Cayman / boxster moton's are interchangable except for a specific bracket in the rear that you can get from moton. And yes they are expensive.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
lurker
4th Gear

Thanks, this is very helpful! Trying to learn a bit before taking the plunge. Hopefully, I'll be able to put a racecar together over the winter.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Lurker;
If you're in the Midwest, you might want to contact someone at Fred Bakers - he built one a year or so ago. You might also pick Eric Steinel's brain - I believe he currently maintains the car.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

A guy named John williams runs his Freddy Baker prepared Boxster in NASA GTS2.

aeschultz, you are right, Steinel's does care for it now. Sorry I don't have any contact info for John. He's a nice guy and I am sure would help you anyway he could. I am sure Steinel's has his contact and credit card info
Old 09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Thanks, John. I remembered seeing the car this past NASA weekend.
Nice drive, btw.

Quick Reply: Info Needed on Building '00 Boxter into F-Stock